Devils v Stingrays - 14/02 - 6:00pm - Chat/Updates

TheDevilTorn said:
Another question guys, who decides the Man of the match? Going on points scored I'm surprised it wasn't Jarvis.
Or Stevie Lyle for only his 2nd shut out this season.

But in answer to your question most of the time it's picked by Corky and the guys working the sin bins etc, sometimes it's the DJ.

My only gripe about tonight is why oh why is the back gate locked again, it caused mayhem getting out of there. We are encouraging people not to park in the swimming pool carpark and pay your pond to the Devils, then not open the gate and it takens 20mins to get out of the carpark!!! :x

phil PLT said:
Derby Devil said:
One gripe again "we're going to win?????" 7 - 0 up and it doesn't get played till the last 54 sec's. If G doesnt like it played untill the last 2 minutes, what was wrong with the intervals at 1:44 & 1:12 remaining?
Oh please don't get me started on that one :roll:
I rather enjoyed your effort in absence of the pucker thing. Perhaps we should get you a mic next time :lol:

I thought Jarvis or Miller tonight (Miller seemed to be targetted by Hull all night)

Love Stevie Lyle but he didn't have much to do tonight, so wouldn't have been happy if he was MOM ahead of the other two.

James

Administrator
Steve played well but didn't exactly have to stand on his head for the shut out. 1 shot on him for the entire first period. I was expecting it to go to Jarvis too based on points but Miller played a good game too. Nice to see Hayes and Davies get so much ice. Good to see Davies on the first line too. Now Smith has got his speed back Davies seems to sit well there.

Man of the match isn't always about the stats. I had a feeling it was going to go to Lyle and would have been annoyed if it did, he played well but didn't have too much to do. Jarvis had a great game but Miller was amazing. He scored 2 and caused trouble all game, I think he must have drawn at least 3 penalties from Hull players, and in my opinion lifted the whole team with the great goal and accidental hit on the goalie which then led to the fight which got the crowd involved a bit as it was reasonably quiet until then.

Gazza272

Smith would have got my MOM tongiht, buzzing from the off and looked like he wanted the two points every time he stepped on the ice. He really didnt get his just desserts with the amount of points he got, and dare i say it if someone other than Ben was on the first line i think Smith would have got those couple of extra points. Ben is a great energy player, but for me lost to much puck on that first line to justify his place there, but i think he was there to prove a point which brings me to......

Brad Voth's captaincy. WOW a ballsy move from the coach for my money, if Voth isnt safe from such a big desicion then no one is, and it suprises me actually that the negative anti Adams types havent been out in force sooner praising such a desicion there always seems to be someone quick enough to slag him off when in their opinion he isnt making big tough desicions.

Tbink Vother responded though, that gesture after the fight was VERY unlike himit was almost as if he was trying to get us behind the team for the rest of the season rather than the rest of the game.

All in all i felt we got better as the game went on, and while not the finished artle i felt there seemed like there was more fire in the belly tongiht than there has been the last couple of weeks. Let's build on it now.

Wannabe2 said:
Martynwo said:
TheDevilTorn said:
could it be a suggestion that voth will definitely leave now at the end of the season and G is experimenting on the new C? Seems an odd thing to do at this stage of the term. :?
Looks like Vother is already on the plane..seriously though he is either injured or just seeing out the season. I saw 1 hit against the boards all game, he seems 2 yrds slow. Ok so he had a fight and won but there just doesn't seem the buzz about him that we are familar with him, not the spark that he was. Perhaps it is time for a C change, although I think Richie was C as Vother's shirt was the SOHB tonight.

Hope I'm wrong on all counts as the "sheriff" is back in town and we need to win this Final coming up.
Firstly there was never gonna be a buzz around the place with Hull in town, myself i thought Brad played well tonight, .............. .
My post read .........there just doesn't seem the buzz about him.....I and a few around me commented that he looked slow, especially as he disn't play the night before, who knows, he maybe carrying an injury. I agree about the fight and perhaps he is saving himself for the week ahead.

Gazza272 said:
Think Vother responded though, that gesture after the fight was VERY unlike himit was almost as if he was trying to get us behind the team for the rest of the season rather than the rest of the game.
What gesture did he do? unfortunately i was in manchester over the weekend so missed the game and doubt i'll get to see it on DTV :evil:. Sounds like it was a great game, good to hear the boys are picking things up and lets hope it can carry on through to the final, booking my tickets tonight :D.

Koop11

A 4 point weekend is very welcome after some disappointing performances of late. A 7-0 shut out will hopefully give the guys some much needed confidence at both ends of the rink. We do have to keep things in perspective though. This was an under strength Hull team who have been struggling this season.

There were some good individual performances last night. The whole defensive core was solid and Lyle deserved his 2nd shut out of the season, albeit an easy one with the greatest of respect. Up front some of our higher paid players stood up and showed in spells why they came here with such high regard. I thought Max put himself about a lot more tonight. Smithy was covering a lot of ice and Miller showed the edge that gave him such an explosive start to the season. The Brits as ever played with 100% effort and again lead by example.

Gerad dropping Voth as captain is a huge message to the team and indeed the fans. Gerad rightly or wrongly has been heavily criticised by fans and he knows the pressure is on him. His own job could be on the line if we do not have a good finish to an inconsistent league campaign. Measures were needed to be taken and that meant starting with some of our under achieving players this year.

Voth does appear to have dropped the intensity levels recently. Much of that could be down to fitness and attitude. To his defence, a lot of that could be down to him being a marked man by officials. Voth plays hard but has been harshly penalised for some ridiculous calls this year. He doesn’t look happy on the ice these days. I could be wrong. I have to say, I’ve not seen Voth swing so hard in a fight in a long time. Burns chose the wrong time to offer Voth out because he got beaten up pretty badly.

A good win but will need to be on our game to beat Belfast on Wednesday.

osh

Gazza272 said:
Brad Voth's captaincy. WOW a ballsy move from the coach for my money, if Voth isnt safe from such a big desicion then no one is, and it suprises me actually that the negative anti Adams types havent been out in force sooner praising such a desicion there always seems to be someone quick enough to slag him off when in their opinion he isnt making big tough desicions.
Well Gazza272, here I am, one of those 'anti Adams types' with my views in answer to your post.4 very welcome points it has to be said.
Ballsy move by Adams you say. It's the first ' big tough decision' he's made all season in my book. Well, he really had nothing to lose and everything to gain didn't he. It meant that he Voth wouldn't get involved verbally with the ref for a start, and also it served as a reminder that no one is bigger than the club. It's taken him three quarters of the season to make such a ballsy decision however, and that's not good enough for me.
Let's not get to carried away with the 4 point weekend though, we were after all playing the bottom club who were short of players as well, but you can only beat who is in front of you. We need to go forward from this, there were definate positives from the games ( even though I wasn't at any of them )

Gazza272

osh said:
[q
Well Gazza272, here I am, one of those 'anti Adams types' with my views in answer to your post.4 very welcome points it has to be said.
Ballsy move by Adams you say. It's the first ' big tough decision' he's made all season in my book. Well, he really had nothing to lose and everything to gain didn't he. It meant that he Voth wouldn't get involved verbally with the ref for a start, and also it served as a reminder that no one is bigger than the club. It's taken him three quarters of the season to make such a ballsy decision however, and that's not good enough for me.
Let's not get to carried away with the 4 point weekend though, we were after all playing the bottom club who were short of players as well, but you can only beat who is in front of you. We need to go forward from this, there were definate positives from the games ( even though I wasn't at any of them )

Apologies if the Anti Adams type comment came across as negative, it wasnt meant to. I do feel though that a few posters here wont like it whattever Adams does, and after loads of pages after defeat i was a little shocked this game thread had only reaced 4 pages given the significance of the goings on.

What big desicions do you feel Adams has missed out on doing earlier in the season Osh?

osh

Gaza272; I think he's missed opportunities to gas players ( Romfo excepted ) had we have made changes regarding certain non performing expected goal scorers, I think we could easily have been vying with the Giants and Panthers for 2nd & 3rd spot, which of course would have affected our results against the Blaze and narrowed it down at the top of the table. His line changes have not made sense on many occasions, we often see lines that just do not make sense, sometimes altering them 6 and 7 times during the course of a game. He hasn't come down hard enough on the team concerning away performances, and as stated, he's only reacted now because he's taken notice of the fans who are not happy with the way we've performed during the critical mid third part of the season. It's also my opinion that if we win the CC and perhaps make the lay of Final itself, he will be retained for next season, otherwise it will be another mediocre season, let's wish him luck.

Finny

osh said:
His line changes have not made sense on many occasions, we often see lines that just do not make sense, sometimes altering them 6 and 7 times during the course of a game.
What game was this? :shock:
Or are you talking about enforced changes - i.e PP, PK, Misconduct penalties ?