Devils v Vipers - 31/01 - 6:00pm - Chat/Updates

Holl_5 said:
Was I at the same game?! :shock: I thought Darnell had a really good game!

It's all being well having a word after someone takes a shot after the whistle. Get in his face, give him a face wash and tell him in no uncertain terms that it ain't on, but to go chasing him down the ice and slashing/ spearing him high on his back wasn't the wisest thing to do. I think Darnell was generous with the 'slashing' call, as if he'd have actually called spearing (and someone did mention it was a poking motion) then this place would be in meltdown right now.
I think if Voth had speared or slashed him..he would have been lying on the ice with a stick through his chest!!! it was a gentle prod if that..I didnt think poking was a pen? Darnell had a shocker and im pretty unbiased.

No excuses for a crap perfomance though. The devils are probably the worse finishers in the league..so what if you have 40 shots if they are straight at the goalie!! Robinson made one good save all night..bottom left corner off smith.

mazza03

Finny said:
I thought Towe worked well alongside Finnerty and Miller too. I think Miller is the kind of guy who works best when he is on a 3rd line as he is just too good for other teams 3rd lines.
For once I disagree with you Finny, I thought Towe had a fairly awful game especially when he left the ice when there were two on one going to the net. Still don't know what to make of that.

I think now that our title hopes are over, we should see some more fights, i do feel that the team have lost some of the intensity and flare that was there towards the beginning/first half of the season and its leading to some quite boring hockey. Don't get me wrong i'm not the type of hockey fan that loves seeing constant fights, i just think it'll help get the team going a bit more and build some confidence.
The devils have and should always be about hard-hitting tough hockey and all we seem to be getting is an attempt at fancy hockey that really isn't working out to well. I still want a bit of fancy hockey but i'd like to see the intensity to go with it.

Finny said:
I think the nicest thing you can say about Darnell's performance tonight was that he managed to turn a pretty awful game into a fairly exciting finish.

Devils started the game well with Birbraer in particular throwing some big checks. On the PP, Jarvis' shot was only half saved and it fell kindly to Latulippe who took his time to flick the puck into the half-empty net.
Devils 1-0 Vipers.

Devils continued to create chance after chance and it looked like it would be an easy win. When Robinson once again drops the initial shot, the puck falls loose and as the Devils knock the puck back in, Darnell blows up as he is the only person in the tent to lose sight of the puck.

Minute later and the Vipers get their own PP. Vipers shoot and to me it looks like there is a player in the crease. Lyle can't hold onto the puck and it drops to the ice. This time Darnell can see the puck and the Vipers eventually knock it in.
Devils 1-1 Vipers

Second period, and Ben Davies gets called for interference, even though it was a trick the Vipers had got away with most of the first period. And for the rest of the second period. And all the third. On the PP the Vipers counter-attack quickly and Berry gets a breakaway on Lyle, fooling him enough to score on the back-hand.
Devils 1-2 Vipers

Devils are still the more dominant team though and Latulippe the best player on the ice. After forcing the Vipers back into the own zone, Latulippe fires the puck across the ice to Hill who deflects the puck into the net with his stick/skate although I'm not sure how much he knew about it.
Devils 2-2 Vipers.

A minute later and after the Vipers are called for offside, one of their players shoots the puck at Lyle after the whistle. Voth goes up to him, taps him with his stick and then when he turns around gives him a shove in the chest and has a word or two with him.
Voth gets called for Slashing. :huh: The wierdest 'slash' I have ever seen as it was more a poking action. Later in the game one of the Devils has his stick slashed so hard it snaps in two. No penalty called.

Into the final period, and to be honest up to this point the game has been pretty dull dull dull. One of the Vipers skates through two Devils players and as it looks like he has worked himself a breakaway, Voth comes in from the side and nails him mid-ice. Voth gets called for interference. :huh:

After killing off the penalty, Voth is back out on the ice. Chasing a loose puck behind the net, a Vipers player stumbles and Voth pushes him out of the way and to the ice. Despite the fact he pushed him with the palm of one hand, Voth gets called for cross-checking!?!?!??!?!
Vipers PP, but from the face-off Miller collects the puck and starts to breakaway, but is grabbed around the shoulder and pulled back, allowing one of the Vipers D to win back the puck. No penalty. Finnerty chases the defenceman and checks him hard into the boards. Finnerty gets called for Boarding.

5-on-3 for the Vipers for 90 seconds. Eventually the Vipers score, even though it looked like there was a Vipers player lying in the crease before the puck was shot.
Devils 2-3 Vipers.

10 minutes to go and Darnell's bizarre calls have finally woken up the Devils crowd. Towe feeds Miller and he beats Robinson on the near side.
Devils 3-3 Vipers.

It looks like the Devils are back in control, but a quick counter-attack gives Kralj a chance and he beats Lyle with less than 8 minutes to go.
Devils 3-4 Vipers.

With 4 minutes to go Darnell calls his first penalty against Newcastle since the 9th minute. Chance after chance goes begging, but with two minutes to go, Hill and Romfo cycle the puck around to Miller, who has all the time he needs to take his shot and he fires it into the top corner past a screened netminder.
Devils 4-4 Vipers.

That same line stays out for another shift, and just 27 seconds later Hill gets into the Vipers zone and fires a perfect pass across the ice to Miller to slide the puck past Robinson and into the net for his natural hat-trick and the GWG.
Devils 5-4 Vipers.

As I said before, a boring 50 minutes followed by an exciting final 10 minutes. Latulippe was excellent but was beaten to MOTM by Miller and his hat-trick. I don't know what rulebook Darnell was using but it couldn't have been an Ice Hockey one. I'm starting to think he just doesn't like us and is looking for penalties to call against us. And if there aren't any there he will make one up. If the EIHL had a proper Head of Referees the video of the game should be sent to them and try to see if he can work out what the heck Darnell was doing.
Couldnt have put it better myself!!!! :D

DevilDom

Holl_5 said:
Was I at the same game?! :shock: I thought Darnell had a really good game!

It's all being well having a word after someone takes a shot after the whistle. Get in his face, give him a face wash and tell him in no uncertain terms that it ain't on, but to go chasing him down the ice and slashing/ spearing him high on his back wasn't the wisest thing to do. I think Darnell was generous with the 'slashing' call, as if he'd have actually called spearing (and someone did mention it was a poking motion) then this place would be in meltdown right now.
I don't think you could have been at the same game. I thought Darnell was the same as in every game he has reffed at the tent - absolutely terrible. He did however at least he make the last 10 minutes of the game interesting.

DevilDom said:
I don't think you could have been at the same game. I thought Darnell was the same as in every game he has reffed at the tent - absolutely terrible. He did however at least he make the last 10 minutes of the game interesting.
The hockey on show was that terrible that I decided to watch the reffing quite closely. There was definitely reason behind every single one of the calls he made. He did miss plenty of interferences both ways though, however you could be here all week talking about the missed calls. It is amazing how differently you see the game when you couldn't give two hoots about the teams/ result.

I'm just glad it didn't go to OT so I didn't have to endure another 5 minutes of pain.

I hope the ice is 10 times better the next visit I make to the tent, in a month!

Gaz G

Holl_5 said:
DevilDom said:
The hockey on show was that terrible that I decided to watch the reffing quite closely. There was definitely reason behind every single one of the calls he made. He did miss plenty of interferences both ways though, however you could be here all week talking about the missed calls. It is amazing how differently you see the game when you couldn't give two hoots about the teams/ result.

I'm just glad it didn't go to OT so I didn't have to endure another 5 minutes of pain.

I hope the ice is 10 times better the next visit I make to the tent, in a month!
If you were watching the ref how do you know what he called was correct or incorrect? Surely it would have been more beneficial to keep your eyes on the play?

wildthing74

Gaz G said:
Holl_5 said:
DevilDom said:

If you were watching the ref how do you know what he called was correct or incorrect? Surely it would have been more beneficial to keep your eyes on the play?
He's got a point there Holl.Clearly you're an experienced hockey fan but if you think Darnell did not have yet another shocker I would have my concerns for you.
Even speaking as a Steeler you got to admit some of his calls were shocking.If I was watching Steelers and he called like he did on them even I would have to admit he was garbage.
For somebody that normally has a fairly balanced view I think you're being a little devilish in this thread.

wildthing74 said:
Gaz G said:
He's got a point there Holl.Clearly you're an experienced hockey fan but if you think Darnell did not have yet another shocker I would have my concerns for you.
Even speaking as a Steeler you got to admit some of his calls were shocking.If I was watching Steelers and he called like he did on them even I would have to admit he was garbage.
For somebody that normally has a fairly balanced view I think you're being a little devilish in this thread.
That may have actually been more entertaining, especially when he fell over, but unfortunately I was watching the play as well. :lol:

Don't get me wrong WT, I slate refs when my team is playing when they're probably calling things to the book - that is what fans do. But if you're going to give him the opportunity to call things, and they subsequently do, then you've got to expect it to be called. I personally think that Darnell was given the opportunity to call all the penalties that he did - and took them.

Seriously, watch the other playoff game with no emotional involvement and you'll be baffled by the crowd going nuts for things which you'll probably think are penalties by the letter of the law.

ASHIPP

Devils used their 'get out of jail free' card on Sunday - his name is Matt Miller. Awesome display from Millsey who played a stormer anyway. :cool: Latullippe outstanding and some flourishes from Smithy and Ryan.
Rest of the team was absolutely appauling for 1st 2 periods when they should have nailed it. :oops: Matt was very gracious to them in the Echo today by suggesting it was a TEAM effort.
Granted that they looked(and probably were) tired and demoralised from 2 road losses (matches they should have won), they totally lacked the dynamism and fire to really control this game - a completely different team to the one that came out with fire, passion and great tactics against the top 3 teams recently at home.
God knows what is going on with the d unit at the moment. Players who will remain nameless were caught out of position repeatedly and those 1st 3 goals for Vipers were gifted to them. Stevie was hung out to dry by our defence.....and he actually showed a very rare display of anger after 3rd Vipers goal scored after Devils defensive cock-up.

We are desperately missing Tylor's dynamism and speed, and the solid, calm, controlling influence of G in defence. Hurry up and get fit, Guys.

Devils could still make top 3 in League but it depends on so many other factors working in their favour now. Does their poor away record, their inability to nail results against apparently weaker teams and the fact they recently appear to start strong, lose the lead and have to fight back mean that we are all in for another rollercoaster ride to the end of March? Don't think my heart can stand it! :lol: