Devils v Vipers - Sun 6:00pm - Chat/Updates

Dougie's corner will be verrrrrrry happy if this is true - my only concern is that he's off injured again at Peterborough (although the summer break is a plenty long enough to get fit again!)

wildthing74

Doug seems to have spent more time down here than in Peterborough recently.Must admit was not sad to see him go but maybe a stay at home D has been a miss this season.

Koop11

A very strange game last night. I felt we dominated the first two periods yet for some bizarre reason we were 0-3 down. The irony is that I though Newcastle played their best hockey in the 3rd period when we actually scored all our goals. Some pretty goals scored by both team last night.

It is worrying that we have gone 0-3 down in both games this weekend. With us conceding straight after every goal we scored last Wednesday as well it still shows concentration and silly mistakes are creeping into our play. This all stems to the mental game and is something that could really hurt us tomorrow.

The encouraging thing is that even at 0-3 we looked comfortable. We were patient and that is something Franny referred in his ICwales interview when he suggested we need to have that approach for the 2nd leg of the CC.

I was a little disappointed not to see Ben get some shifts last night as I though he’s really earned a spot for some regular ice time. I thought Smithy as ever covered a lot of ice and Finnerty played a solid game following some low par performances of late. We still looked a little ropey at the back in spells but I thought Romfo was our most reliable guy on the blue line last night.

Tylor was on fire again and is without doubt my MVP of the team this year. I would desperately urge Gerad and the Devils management to draft up a very competitive contract for this man (assuming they haven’t already) because he work rate is outstanding. He is an example setter on how to play every shift.

Let’s take the positives out of this game and use them tomorrow in what will be out biggest game of the season.

osh

Koop11 said:
Let’s take the positives out of this game and use them tomorrow in what will be out biggest game of the season.
Well said. If we can get back the 2 goals early on anything can happen. Winning a trophy could work wonders for team confidence going into the play off system. ( although I class the League title then winning the play off final in front of the CC) but this trophy would be welcome by all of us I'm sure.

Koop11 said:
I was a little disappointed not to see Ben get some shifts last night as I though he’s really earned a spot for some regular ice time.
He went from one of our best players last weekend at home and man of the match to not being allowed any shifts at all in this game, even when we were 3-0 down. Great way to reward a young player who's done everything asked of him when given a chance, to cut down his ice time the next week. :shock: If we lose him to another team next year, would anyone blame him? If it was a physical game I could have possibly understood. :roll:

As for the game I think I'll save saying all the negative things that went through my mind yesterday given that we won but it's really frustrated that we need to be behind by a few goals in order for the team to wake up and start playing. Maybe that's a good thing for the CC game tomorrow though, we go into it knowing that we need to score and can't sit back and let them come at us. And scoring 6 in one period is encouraging for tomorrow night. :D

As for Tylor Michel if I was a coach and could pick any player from our league to sign for us next year he'd be one of if not the first on my list!

Gazza272

In fairness to G in this Ben Davies issue it seemed clear our lines were geared towards tuesday night. Towe has been there and done it in big games and played admirably well over the seasons, and he was put back as a centre last evening and played his best game for a couple of months as he hasnt looked at all comfortable on the wing.

While Hayes did get a few shifts that was only due to the fact that with Miller player on the penalty kill he is usually on the ice as the opposition come back on so when a line change then happens, Miller isnt as fresh as Voth and Finnerty so Hayes deputises as the left winger, if Voth had been on the ice instead i'm sure Ben would have got his shifts. That's how i was viewing it anyway, i could be wrong!

I'm sure it's been explained to Ben by G and Franny whats going on. And i'm sure you will see Ben get his share of ice time toward the seasons end.

If G had no plan to play him though he could have played for the ENL Devils who lost and probably could have used him. I'm not saying he shouldn't have had a regular shift but no shifts at all? I didn't pay to watch a practice match for Tuesday, if they can't work out their lines at this stage in the season for a cup final then there's a slight problem somewhere.

As I've said before Ben is a centre and manages to adjust on the wing so I don't really sympathise with Towe 'not looking comfortable' out there. Towe might have been there in the big games but I can't think of many stand out moments he's had in them. And if the lines were being prepared for Tuesday does that mean Ben probably won't play a part? On big ice where his speed and battling in the corners would be an advantage?

I know people think he's young and his time will come and all that but all I keep thinking when I hear people's arguments of why young players should be used carefully is Man U and the 'You don't win anything with kids' comment, and the feel among City fans that a 17 year old Aaron Ramsey should have started the FA Cup final and that Crosby should have been picked in the Olympic squad in 2006 when he was 18 and then who knows what might have happened.

Disclaimer- If Towe scores the winner on Tuesday I reserve the right to take all this back.

Gazza272

Merthyr Devil said:
If G had no plan to play him though he could have played for the ENL Devils who lost and probably could have used him. I'm not saying he shouldn't have had a regular shift but no shifts at all? I didn't pay to watch a practice match for Tuesday, if they can't work out their lines at this stage in the season for a cup final then there's a slight problem somewhere.

As I've said before Ben is a centre and manages to adjust on the wing so I don't really sympathise with Towe 'not looking comfortable' out there. Towe might have been there in the big games but I can't think of many stand out moments he's had in them. And if the lines were being prepared for Tuesday does that mean Ben probably won't play a part? On big ice where his speed and battling in the corners would be an advantage?

I know people think he's young and his time will come and all that but all I keep thinking when I hear people's arguments of why young players should be used carefully is Man U and the 'You don't win anything with kids' comment, and the feel among City fans that a 17 year old Aaron Ramsey should have started the FA Cup final and that Crosby should have been picked in the Olympic squad in 2006 when he was 18 and then who knows what might have happened.

Disclaimer- If Towe scores the winner on Tuesday I reserve the right to take all this back.

For me Towe has done very well in past big games, i think to the quarter final in the NIC ironically enough where because of our injuries he had to play as a first line centre, and won a number of key face offs, he also got a goal against Belfast last season (albeit off of his backside :lol: ) while Ben has adapted to being a Winger well i dont htink it's the same for every player, they all have their areas of the ice they are more comfortable in, and Matt has said himself in the past he does his best work away from the boards. I think it's just one of those things

Ben is a great talent, but other than a couple of games i dont think he has been effective enough with Smith and Max, certainly not good enough for me to say that he owuld make a massive difference on Tuesday. But it's a game of opinions and i certainly see your argument.

jimmy snels

Ben is a great talent, but other than a couple of games i dont think he has been effective enough with Smith and Max, certainly not good enough for me to say that he owuld make a massive difference on Tuesday. But it's a game of opinions and i certainly see your argument.[/quote]

or is it that max has been totally ineffective in games with ben on his line making them all look poor? this is just me being devils addvocate here, i do think ben should have had more ice time last night as a reward for the previous weeks performance.
seperate point - G's program notes were very interesting last night stating that "some players minds are already on their summer holidays" and "some need to take a look at them selves and ask if they want to compete at this level". i think we could all guess which ones he was aiming that at!

Gazza272

jimmy snels said:
Ben is a great talent, but other than a couple of games i dont think he has been effective enough with Smith and Max, certainly not good enough for me to say that he owuld make a massive difference on Tuesday. But it's a game of opinions and i certainly see your argument.
or is it that max has been totally ineffective in games with ben on his line making them all look poor? this is just me being devils addvocate here, i do think ben should have had more ice time last night as a reward for the previous weeks performance.
seperate point - G's program notes were very interesting last night stating that "some players minds are already on their summer holidays" and "some need to take a look at them selves and ask if they want to compete at this level". i think we could all guess which ones he was aiming that at![/quote]

No i dont think Max has anything to do with Ben Davies losing posession of the puck. Ben is great dont get me wrong, but i dont think he did enough in enough games to justify an out and out regular shift on that line.

As for the programme notes. Another ballsy comment from the coach to cal some of his players out like that.

Rempel16

Whilst on the subject I agree with Gazza that Ben hasn't been effective enough with Smith and Max.

In fact, I was actually quite surprised that he was given the MOM on Wednesday against the Steelers despite the rave reviews on here.

I thought that he looked out of his depth and thought that he's not ready for a regular shift yet.

On a more positive note, I can't wait to see what the new Jay-Smith-Max line does on big ice. Those three looked lethal together from the off (albeit against a weaker side) and some of their offensive creation looked very good.

Just goes to show the effect of putting a decent player with Smith and Max and actually telling them to pass him the puck!!!!

jimmy snels

personally i dont think ben should be on our top line what i was getting at is that max is good 1 in 3 games so maybe it isnt a good line to be on anyway for him. smith certainly reached a higher level last night and showed some of the form we expected from him. G's comments were defo there for an impact, i wonder if he only showed them at the 2nd period break tho! :lol:
michel was awsome again, how long before we start singing "Gerad, sign him up, gerad gerad sign him up?!?!"
on a more serious note, alex symmonds took a hell of a hit to the head last night and our enforcer who was on the ice did....nothing?!? extreemly strange. i dont care if it was deemed legal, he should have got stuck into him.

Gazza272

jimmy snels said:
on a more serious note, alex symmonds took a hell of a hit to the head last night and our enforcer who was on the ice did....nothing?!? extreemly strange. i dont care if it was deemed legal, he should have got stuck into him.

Well he did something, he did go and give Krailj a shove and mouthed off a bit. I think there could have been a little bit more done though.

ASHIPP

Welldone to the Devils for securing a win last night against the Vipers after a hard fought battle against Blaze on Sat. Not the prettiest hockey ever seen, but they got the result they wanted.

Vipers were clearly the more focused and efficient team in p1/p2. They were unlucky in p3 when their defence came under so much pressure from Devils forwards. G was right in his match programme notes about the attitude/performance of some players being key to the overall team performance. Thought Team B had turned up when the Devils went down so early by 2 goals. And even after Ryan's goal in P3, the Vipers came back almost immediately and scored.
There seems to be a weakness in the team with conceding goals early and in their set-up after scoring goals - Devils' defence was shocking in p1/p2 and for patches in p3. :x Infact, think the crowd were in a state of shock sometimes because the atmo just dived!
Even in p3 I was still a bag of nerves towards the end of the game because Devils spent too much time in their defensive zone. :x
Good shows from Jay, Killer, Ryan and Smithy - and liking Jay's move to partner Smithy and Max :D But skate forward, Tylor Michel for a complete all-round performance, as usual. He is undoubtedly one of this season's highlights.
G, if you are reading this, it's a no-brainer...please sign Tylor NOW for next season. :cool:

jimmy snels

yer it all seems a bit half hearted from him this season. i will remember him as a devils star of the bay years, but this season hasnt been what i was expecting from him. i think a year or two ago he'd have dropped the gloves and done what we think was necessary! i may be wrong but i think he had a go at the wrong player he was already arguing with Krailj behind the net and another player did the check? i was going mental behind the boards that nothing was done. it was a definate check to the head

Rempel16

Gazza272 said:
jimmy snels said:

Well he did something, he did go and give Krailj a shove and mouthed off a bit. I think there could have been a little bit more done though.
It wasn't Krailj that made the hit though was it? I thought it was Berry.

DevilDom

I thought we were extremely unlucky to be 3-0 down. It seemed that despite all our pressure in the 1st 2 periods whatever we tried to do wasn't coming off and then we had a couple of mistakes that gifted goals to the vipers.

Very good character shown by the team though and once that 1st goal went in at the end of the 2nd I could see us coming back, hwoever I didn't expect 6 goals in 1 peiord!

Lets hope we can take some of that form into Tuesday and at least give Corey a twitchy bottom for a few periods!

Russky

If the mods will permit me this tangental post: Wasn't it great to see Rocksteady Eddy back watching a Devils game! and how well he looked consisdering how much he has had to go through with his rehabilitation following his illness/Stroke. It was great to see Eddy and Lisa in the tent, enjoying a hockey game once again.