Devils vs Capitals Sunday 26th 6pm. Chat/Updates!

I didn't see the obsene gestures that Stefishen was making but I did she the attempt at an eye gouge. He really is a goon that one, is the most penalised player in the league and if his present penalty minute rate continues he will be on target for 400 minutes + by the end of the season. Doug was right to step in and take him on, Stefishen's hit on Prpich was nasty and Doug had to be taken in hand before someone got badly hurt. Although it looked like an unfair penalty (Doug getting the instigator) it was by the rule book, Doug went to fight him and didn't give him an option. In the old days that would have been a fair and square acceptance of the enforcers job, these days it's called an instigator. Smith has the intelligence though to see it for what it is and punished Stefishen more severely with a match penalty.

With regard to the injured Caps player, it's never nice to see a professional sportsman injured and if people were insulting him when he left then that's appalling and not at all the level of class that sets hockey fans apart from fans of certain other sports.

Nothing else to add apart from what has been added above, other than that I'm really glad that G kept Aubs on the ice for the whole game. Last season in games like this G would have pulled Phil and put Joe on for match experience. On this ocasion I'm glad he kept Aubs on, to get another shut out, to increase his confidence and to keep it a positive game. Just what the guys needed.

Good to see all the players out on the ice for the aftermatch skate too, they were great helping kids around the ice, chatting to people and they looked really happy too. Good timing for an aftermatch skate after such a decisive win.

Koop11

Nice to see some goals in what has been a pretty baron spell for the Devils of late. I did however feel for the Caps as they’ve had a real tough start to the season. I really didn’t want us to get double figures. I regard the Caps as my second team so I’m feeling their pain right now. Onwards and upwards for them hopefully.

Aubs and the D looked solid but in fairness they weren’t really tested. I thought Tyson made a solid start with a point and simply seeing how much more the confident we looked breaking out of our own end. Nice to see Tyson doing his trade mark skate up the middle of the ice. So pleased he’s back in town. We have the 3rd best goals against average in the league right now and when you consider the start we’ve had that’s pretty dam good. We’ll only get better with Tyson at the back.

I think up front we needed an easier game (with all due respect to the Caps), simply to get out confidence in front of net going again. Jay Luneball (as my bro calls his) is playing some great hockey. Everyone is wondering who are first line centre is going to be. I think we already have him in Jay. Whoever comes is will certainly need to battle for the first line spot with the form Jay is in right now. Averaging a point per game already.

I nice performance from us in what was a relatively uncompetitive game. Some nice goals (Hartwick with a cracker), hits and fights to keep the regular fans and new faces happy. I must comment what a great crowd for a Capitals game. This year’s average attendance must be 300/400 times higher that last season already. Great work by the Devils management. We get a winning streak going and we could be looking at a few more sells outs with some huge games coming up.

A

Anonymous

A good performance by the Devils, played some nice stuff and it must have been a relief for them to have an easy game and build some confidence. Mind you, Edinburgh were pathetic. The only negative for me on the night, was having to listen to 2 periods of sustained verbal abuse from the guys at the back of block 2. We've all dished a bit out in our time but last night it was unrelenting for 2 hours, completely unnecessary, over the top and frankly, tiresome. If I'd have closed my eyes, thrown in a few expletives, I could have imagined myself being on a football terrace. I thought the club were trying to encourage a family environment?

Just looked at the match report and Aubs saved 42 shots on him.
I echo wat some1 above me said about keeping him in there an not swapping him with Joe, no disregard to the kid but i think Aubs needs to keep his confidence up as it looks like its paying off.

Awesome Game for Tyson too, hitting everyone left right and centre looks like hes been talking to Campbell lol Not complaing, awesome game x

shepherd68 said:
what was the obsene gestures that Stefishen made i missed it?
he gave G and the bench a one fingered salute as he made his way out of the box, then he made another gesture to the block about the Edinburgh bench as he left, I assume it was the same gesture, but I wouldn't see properly.

Rempel16

august04 said:
The only negative for me on the night, was having to listen to 2 periods of sustained verbal abuse from the guys at the back of block 2. We've all dished a bit out in our time but last night it was unrelenting for 2 hours, completely unnecessary, over the top and frankly, tiresome. If I'd have closed my eyes, thrown in a few expletives, I could have imagined myself being on a football terrace. I thought the club were trying to encourage a family environment?
Ok, point taken, won't bother next time.

And for what its worth, the only 'abuse' thrown was at stefishen for his headbutt and sucker punch (both of which could result in a lengthy ban) and to christiansen for being a chicken and not fighting voth.

Believe it or not, the rest was positive chanting ie, 'tyson, tyson, tyson', 'jarvo, jarvo, jarvo', 'd.c, d.c, d.c' and yes the classic 'devils dum, dum dum, devils dum, dum, dum'

Oh yeah forgot to add we also chanted '2 dodgy keepers' at one point which was tongue in cheek harmless fun.

So i think your 2 hours of relentless abuse is a bit stretched but have it your way. Saturday i will stay quiet.

Finny

I was starting to worry that all the doom and gloom merchants had left this board.

9 goals scored - can't criticise the forwards.
0 goal conceeded - can't criticise the defence.

What on earth can we criticise this week...............ahh... we haven't criticised our own fans enough yet this season!!!
:D

Finny said:
I was starting to worry that all the doom and gloom merchants had left this board.

9 goals scored - can't criticise the forwards.
0 goal conceeded - can't criticise the defence.

What on earth can we criticise this week...............ahh... we haven't criticised our own fans enough yet this season!!!
:D
:D A lot less posts when Devils do well!

As you say - how can you criticise a 9-0 win. So I think I'll just leave it at WELL DONE DEVILS for this week!

steve

august04 said:
The only negative for me on the night, was having to listen to 2 periods of sustained verbal abuse from the guys at the back of block 2. We've all dished a bit out in our time but last night it was unrelenting for 2 hours, completely unnecessary, over the top and frankly, tiresome. If I'd have closed my eyes, thrown in a few expletives, I could have imagined myself being on a football terrace. I thought the club were trying to encourage a family environment?

You have got to be kidding right?!?

First of all we were pretty quiet last night, especially after the first period by which time we weren't really bothered anymore. Nobody swears, nobody abuses players. If you think getting stuck into the likes of Steffaishen(?) when he headbutts and gouges our players is out of order, then your on your own, sorry.

90% of what comes from block 2 is positive not negative, i.e. 'we love you tyson', as well as the usuall bit of ref bashing! Comparing us to a city crowd is out of order to be honest. I dread to imagine what you'd think of us at away games.

Block 2 boys - don't give up. Have a search of August04's thread history on here and on the old elite league board and you'll only find a long long list of criticism, negativity and misery. Some people will never be happy. Don't let one person stop you doing what you're doing.

Block 2 boys seriously add to the atmosphere at the rink - Keep it up!

I have no idea what Augusto4 is talking about either, I have never heard anything other than 'friendly' chanting from that block. Of course people get wound up when they think their team is hard done by, of course it doesnt justify any abuse, but you can hardly expect people to sit on their hands and say never mind.

I scream like a banshee when anything like that happens, as is my right as a fee paying supporter but I am never abusive about it.

I think someone needs to take up crown green bowling as a hobby

Two hours of relentless abuse..... I think you must have been at a football match.

Apart from giving the animal (Stefishen) exactly what he deserved, without the use of a single swear word, the majority of people sat in Block 2 seemed to enjoy the shouts of "2 dodgy keepers", "Jarvo, Jarvo" etc.

But as has already been stated Saturday will be one quiet evening 'cos I won't be opening my mouth. Then we will see what sort of atmosphere you can generate.

Finny

Don't let august04 stop you helping improve the atmosphere. As I've said in other threads, I felt the atmosphere has been getting in recent games and the back of block 2 has been a big part of that.

Plus you've got to love the irony of august04 criticising people for being 'abusive', when by all accounts he/she are one of the most abusive members using the PM system.

Russky

*~Emma~* said:
Just looked at the match report and Aubs saved 42 shots on him.
I hate to be picky but:

According to the official game sheet it was the Edinburgh net minder(s) that faced 42 shots, Aubs faced 33 with a 100% save ratio!

Also the 'obscene' gesture made by Stefishen was done before he went into the penalty box and only then he was given a match pentalty by Dean Smith.

Foxy

Got to be honest i sit in the front row of Block 2 and enjoy the boys banter. Its the best block atmosphere i have sat in for years. Can't remember any swear words either and no its not selective memory either.

Keep it up boys even Tyson and Campbell were laughing when the I Love you Tyson was shouted out :lol:

Wannabe2

Foxy said:
Got to be honest i sit in the front row of Block 2 and enjoy the boys banter. Its the best block atmosphere i have sat in for years. Can't remember any swear words either and no its not selective memory either.

Keep it up boys even Tyson and Campbell were laughing when the I Love you Tyson was shouted out :lol:
Exactly Block 2 is the block, forget August 04-05 -06-and even 07, what a complete doughnut. We will support our team the way we believe, the proper way, and one insignificant person wont change that one iota. Keep it up guys, you make the night far more entertaining for us that are still alive.

davew

All I know is I miss the days in the old rink when we in block 6/5 by the away bench and tunnel would give players and coaches alike some real banter......

That is (a big) part of what made WNIR such an intimidating place for away teams....