Devils Vs Clan - League - 30th Sept 23 - 19:00 FO

MA18

I thought the Devils played really well.

Clan never looked like getting a result and beating us.

Great to see Ben with 2 goals and a MoM performance, closely followed by Donaghey who I thought in the first game of Pre Season was skating with a fridge on his back has really impressed.
Mosey has always impressed too and so far like I thought has proved a great signing.

We didn’t try to play too much hockey on a few of our breakaways - Cox and Waller in particular not looking confident.

The open ice hit from Chad looked perfect from where I was sat, very unlucky to give a major for it but I guess that’s the risk when you are that size, cleanly hitting and levelling other players.
Sol was a shit house all night and it was good to see Pete R calling him out for being one after the elbow - deserved more than 2mins for the afters from it.
Batch did well stepping up just enough when he needed too. No point trying to take him on anymore than that with the team we’ve got.
While there was no point Crawford getting involved in to much in the last second he’d been giving as good as he got all night and made a bit of an arse out himself when it came to the crunch.
I thought Kelly played well, looks a cool customer. Worth trying to get back at some point, be great for him to have Richie as a mentor for a season or two.
Solid two points - same line up and more of the same tonight hopefully.

Swarley

The open ice hit from Chad looked perfect from where I was sat, very unlucky to give a major for it but I guess that’s the risk when you are that size, cleanly hitting and levelling other players.

I've spoken to a few ex players about the hit and they've seen the footage, all of them agreed it was a perfectly clean hit.

EIHL officals are really lowering the standards this season, can't do a textbook open ice hit because it's "dangerous" they will end up making this sport non contact if they keep on with this crap.

The_Stick_

As much as I would have liked to have seen Crawford actually go with Stevenson, I do not blame him at all. Fighting in the last 2 minutes of a game typically leads to a suspension-

Considering Crawford typically leads the team in TOI, and due to the fact we have a very big game tonight, i believe he made the right choice

MA18

As much as I would have liked to have seen Crawford actually go with Stevenson, I do not blame him at all. Fighting in the last 2 minutes of a game typically leads to a suspension-

Considering Crawford typically leads the team in TOI, and due to the fact we have a very big game tonight, i believe he made the right choice
I understand the rule, probably the only bit of maturity Crawford has displayed.
not sure he quite has the skills or ability to be going about his business in the way that he does.

RedDevil17

I understand the rule, probably the only bit of maturity Crawford has displayed.
not sure he quite has the skills or ability to be going about his business in the way that he does.
As far as I'm concerned, if you're throwing glove punches, cross-checks etc after the whistle then you're going to get your ass handed to you at some point...and last night it happened

Devils86

Random tangential question: Clan fighter v Chad, shirt partially off (not clear if fight strap broken, but clearly not doing job!) = additional two minutes for illegal equipment?

Wannabe2

As far as I'm concerned, if you're throwing glove punches, cross-checks etc after the whistle then you're going to get your ass handed to you at some point...and last night it happened
It sure did, and it will happen again don’t try to act the tough guy, when you can’t back it up,it’s hockey not ping pong.

Ejercito Rojas

I certainly don’t want to see Crawford getting involved in the rough stuff and I don’t quite understand why others do.
He’s our skilled offensive d man, (check his stats) his role is quite different.
I wouldn’t have wanted Register or Fournier risking injury or suspension in taking needless fights and Crawford is the direct replacement for those guys.

As a footnote, before anyone says, "aah yes but Andrew Hotham had no problem with getting involved in the rough stuff and he was our offensive D man."
Andrew Hotham was quite simply the most complete D man to play on these shores possibly since the days of the SuperLeague!

Rempel16

It didn’t stop him fighting with Ferguson last season, and no bans came from that.

It always used to be instigating in the last 2 minutes. Will be interesting to see if Stevenson gets anything.

Wannabe2

I don’t want Crawford fighting, because he can’t fight, but if you can’t fight then don’t try dishing it out, and cheap shooting people. Register and Fournier didnt try that nonsense.

James

Administrator
Thread starter #31
Random tangential question: Clan fighter v Chad, shirt partially off (not clear if fight strap broken, but clearly not doing job!) = additional two minutes for illegal equipment?
the fight strap was still attached (if totally inadequate), he removed it on the way to the box. Not sure if the rules have changed but the illegal equipment challenge used to have to come from the opponent in the fight not the bench I believe

ASHIPP

I certainly don’t want to see Crawford getting involved in the rough stuff and I don’t quite understand why others do.
He’s our skilled offensive d man, (check his stats) his role is quite different.
I wouldn’t have wanted Register or Fournier risking injury or suspension in taking needless fights and Crawford is the direct replacement for those guys.

As a footnote, before anyone says, "aah yes but Andrew Hotham had no problem with getting involved in the rough stuff and he was our offensive D man."
Andrew Hotham was quite simply the most complete D man to play on these shores possibly since the days of the SuperLeague!
Crawford a replacement for Fournier and/or Register? He is skilled but lacks their maturity and instinctive reading of the game at the moment.

Ejercito Rojas

Yes, of course he lacks their maturity he’s 26, whereas Fournier and Register are 32 & 34 respectively!
He is their replacement in as much as he is here to fill that role within the budget constraints, however he is a 'risk and reward' type player some fans maybe need to 'cut him some slack' perhaps.
Fournier has wanted to return here for the last 2 season but we can‘t afford him and a guy with Register’s resume won’t come cheap either.
As has been said many times, financially the Devils are in a different world since those guys played here, so bearing that in mind, he is the replacement.

E.D.S.

If you’re waiting for Crawford to answer the bell you unfortunately have a long wait in front of you, he is a okay player but has no backbone. If you’re a bit of a pussy then don’t go sucker punching people, as they will react. Both Bens were awesome last night, Chad is certainly a shining light, we have a very good team, but todays game at Sheffield will be a real tester. Why did Clan resign Sol, he offers nothing and they don’t look like they will be challenging for much, we certainly have some beauties this season, so tonights game may show us where we stand. Let’s go lads.
Agree Wannabe2. When you don't have a team of people who are tough and will drop the gloves/no enforcer why go winding up a team that do? If our players are going to drop them and step up it needs to be for something worthwhile.

The_Stick_

I do think Crawford gives it out a lot, but having watched the clip back from last night, I really don’t know what he did to incite that reaction from Stevenson?

Mooney#16

I’m struggling with what some believe would be different last night if Devils were ‘tooled up’. Devils weren’t roughed up anymore than Clan were in that game. Chad and Riley took the body on the clan D men throughout the game. Clan threatened to go after a recovering Barrow and Batchy jumped in to defend. Chad landed biggest hit of the game and was happy to answer. Stevenson got himself suspended for basically too little too late. Put Louis in that line up I don’t see much different other than you’d have prob seen one other fight with Sol. Devils were nowhere near being intimidated or victims in that game.

voth26

Yes, of course he lacks their maturity he’s 26, whereas Fournier and Register are 32 & 34 respectively!
He is their replacement in as much as he is here to fill that role within the budget constraints, however he is a 'risk and reward' type player some fans maybe need to 'cut him some slack' perhaps.
Fournier has wanted to return here for the last 2 season but we can‘t afford him and a guy with Register’s resume won’t come cheap either.
As has been said many times, financially the Devils are in a different world since those guys played here, so bearing that in mind, he is the replacement.
If Founs really wants to return and all devil's fans would love him to maybe he should realign his expectations of the amount of money we could pay him. I know he's a top end D man