Devils Vs Clan - Pre-Season - 9th Sep 23 (FO 19:00) & 10th Sep 23 (FO 16:00)

James

Administrator
Thread starter #1
Devils invite the freshly polished Glasgow Clan to the Vindico for back to back pre-season home games. Clan with their new owners and new look team could well be a different beast this season than previous and it'll be interesting to gauge their level against us. Could well be another friendly in name only.

Wannabe2

I can see this game getting very feisty, Clan look a very tough team and will be hard to play against, they will to me be in the top half of the league. It’s all looking very fresh in Glasgow,and they will be wanting to show their fans this is one serious team. Play as we are capable of playing and we can win this, but it’s going to be all about digging deep and a bit of trench warfare, can’t fault it hopefully another great night at our gaff.

fridaysfingers

When Batch was re-signed there was a fair bit of discontent but at the time I said that I thought he would have been told the need to play more of his old game getting involved in policing the game etc.
I think in the games so we’ve seen him in amongst the rough stuff already.
Whether this is proving my prediction right is probably a bit early to say but possibly not a coincidence without Louis he’s getting more actively involved

This is Clans first ‘competitive’ game with only four players having been retained from last season. I’d expect Devils to be much sharper and fitter given their preseason schedule. Be interesting however, to see how Clan look given their much changed squad and new coaching team.

Devils86

Wouldn't be at all surprised to see a bruising loss on Saturday followed by a win on Sunday as Clan expend a lot of energy roughing us up on night one.

moggy#9

Wouldn't be at all surprised to see a bruising loss on Saturday followed by a win on Sunday as Clan expend a lot of energy roughing us up on night one.
Hopefully the differing stages of preparation and our improved pp will make a difference in the scoreboard.

E.D.S.

I'd love to see us working on some key areas during this game, which no doubt Russell will do. Whilst I'm loving the look and the energy of this team there's a part of me that wants to see more possession and retaining that possession in the attacking zone. Cycling the puck, creating opportunities, sneaking a line change and engineering penalties has always been key in this league. We struggled last year and we spent much of our time being too knackered from defending to create anything offensively. That has clearly changed with this team from what I can see so far - our exits from our zone are so much more decisive and clean. I'd love to see us now progressing to camping out in other teams zones and just being relentless in putting other teams under pressure.

moggy#9

I'd love to see us working on some key areas during this game, which no doubt Russell will do. Whilst I'm loving the look and the energy of this team there's a part of me that wants to see more possession and retaining that possession in the attacking zone. Cycling the puck, creating opportunities, sneaking a line change and engineering penalties has always been key in this league. We struggled last year and we spent much of our time being too knackered from defending to create anything offensively. That has clearly changed with this team from what I can see so far - our exits from our zone are so much more decisive and clean. I'd love to see us now progressing to camping out in other teams zones and just being relentless in putting other teams under pressure.
Yes, this. One of my concerns from the first few games is giving up possession too cheaply, for instance, by dumping the puck for a line change, or attempting a low percentage pass.

Some keys for this weekend will be clearing the zone first time and making sure we have outlets to keep the opposition moving and avoiding giving up the puck

Martynwo

slightly off topic Police had shut both carriageways of the M4 at jn24 Coldra early afternoon only releasing cars at 15:00 this afternoon and then advising to find an alternative route. very slow traffic, may be a FO delay ?>?

moggy#9

Well that wasn't the game I expected at all. Least entertaining of the preseason games so far, mainly because it the lack of physicality for most of the game. Glasgow certainly don't look like the big scary team we were expecting. I'll post more detailed comments later.

Earnie

We were too slick and fast for them but they gave us a good game. By tomorrow they will have learnt a lot and give us a harder game. Their goalie was very good.
New owners, new coach ,new contract with their rink. - good time to re brand with a new logo I say!