Devils Vs Flames - League - 31st Dec 23 - FO 16:00

Finny

i think Russell shot himself in the foot in an interview saying that he dont like the physical side of the game, if i was the other coach i know the first thing id be saying to my team when playing against devils. At the moment we are bullied and out muscled off the puck.

I do not think it the players fault, we have some great players however to me it looks like that he coaching them to be a european style hockey which is not going to work week in week out in our league.

No one saying enforcer type player however both night our goalie had something done against him and nothing was done which tells all the rest of the league that we are push over and you can do what like because we will not react to it. I do not think the players are allowed by Russell.
Look at Riley now, very rare you get any hit now and we got some big bodies who do nothing at all. Personally i do not think Russell right for this league and it seems he is the type of person of it his way or the high way but time will tell i suspect.
When did Russell say he didn’t like the physical side of the game?

Are you referring to the post-game clip against Clan that was then deleted? If so he said nothing of the sort.

Finny

Only managed to watch the first two periods of the game so surprised at some comments on here, as well as the final score.
Thought Flames came out fast and hard, but some of their hits were clearly late and soon got called. A good opening PP saw us get the goal and for the first half of the period we had most of the possession and zone time.
Flames gradually got themselves more into the game and got a PP of their own. Initially PK was pretty good but then two forwards went for the same puck, Flames exploited it brilliantly and scored a great PP goal. The momentum switched to them and they finished the period the stronger.

Second period it was us who came out more fired up, throwing the hits and forcing the zone time. We created three or four big chances but couldn’t beat McAdam and the pipework. Guildford’s goal came completely against the run of play.
That seemed to hit our confidence and Guildford had a couple of chances to extend their lead before a great play from Sanford allowed Arniel to tie it up. Both sides had chances to take the lead but when the period ended 2-2 it was finely poised and I fancied our chances of winning it in the third.

Sadly, I then had to go out and collect our NYE takeaway. By the time I got back we were 4-2 down. By the time everything was on the plate the game was over.

Finny

One year too many for me! Yes, he's done well in DEL2 but he was fortunate enough to have Keefe and Nielson supporting him for GB. I’m not convinced by him at all and I have no idea what style he’s trying to play. What’s blatantly clear though is that this coach/ownership have completely disregarded the style of hockey that Devils fans want to see. Let’s be honest, the last year of real ‘Devils’ hockey was 2014-15 during the first year of the new ownership, one of my favourite seasons of watching hockey since 1986, and we only won the CC that year. It’s not just about winning trophies, it’s about entertainment and playing the Cardiff way. Despite the game changing, that's still possible but it seems our organisation doesn’t agree. Give the fans what they want not this turgid bullshit that’s been served up for the past 4 years.
I agree that the 14-15 season was one of my favourites seasons of all time. But I also think we remember it through rose-tinted glasses.
For starters, for much of the summer it didn’t look like there would be any hockey. And then, when we signed the roster with only weeks to spare our expectations were pretty low.
But we built a team for the BBT and we exceeded expectations.

But, there was a downside to that. We struggled on the big ice. iIRC we were heavily outshot in that CC Final and won it thanks to an all-time great performance from Bowns.
We lost 11-0 in Sheffield. In fact we lost every game in Sheffield bar the CC miracle. We also lost to them 6-0 at home.
We lost all four league games in Belfast. Including heavy 6-3 and 7-4 defeats And we lost to them in Playoff QF. After losing 1-0 away we lost 7-3 at home. Afterwards there we complaints that we had been bullied in our own rink. I remember Clarkson throughout the second half of the season getting criticism for not being physical enough for such a big guy. Sound familiar….

So yes that was a fun season and one of the most enjoyable. But it wasn’t sustainable. Either from the facilities or the success on ice.

Wannabe2

Only managed to watch the first two periods of the game so surprised at some comments on here, as well as the final score.
Thought Flames came out fast and hard, but some of their hits were clearly late and soon got called. A good opening PP saw us get the goal and for the first half of the period we had most of the possession and zone time.
Flames gradually got themselves more into the game and got a PP of their own. Initially PK was pretty good but then two forwards went for the same puck, Flames exploited it brilliantly and scored a great PP goal. The momentum switched to them and they finished the period the stronger.

Second period it was us who came out more fired up, throwing the hits and forcing the zone time. We created three or four big chances but couldn’t beat McAdam and the pipework. Guildford’s goal came completely against the run of play.
That seemed to hit our confidence and Guildford had a couple of chances to extend their lead before a great play from Sanford allowed Arniel to tie it up. Both sides had chances to take the lead but when the period ended 2-2 it was finely poised and I fancied our chances of winning it in the third.

Sadly, I then had to go out and collect our NYE takeaway. By the time I got back we were 4-2 down. By the time everything was on the plate the game was over.
We handed the 3rd period to Flames on a plate, and that also was game over, at least you had the benefit and enjoyment of a nice meal, we all went home feeling empty like paying for a lousy meal.

Finny

I don’t think it’s that Russell needs to learn the league. But I think he has to have time to assemble the correct roster. Just swapping the coach and starting again every year is a rinse and repeat. You gain no momentum or direction.

I think Russell will be learning a lot about these players. Information he didn’t have when he signed them. He’ll already be building opinions on if they are championship players or not. I think he’s a coach capable of making the tough decisions.

Let’s be perfectly frank here Lordo got immensely lucky whilst here with the Devils as well as doing great things. In that initial roster he picked up players that went on the be league MVP players and also liked it enough here to stick around for a longer period. He then just needed to assemble a good enough supporting roster around them.

Currently this roster is a good supporting cast but they do not have the X factor MVP guy to take them next level. Steelers have picked up a couple but it’s taken Fox multiple years to do so. I think Russell has to have the opportunity to work this process through.

The key as concerns Russell is if he has the tactics and game plans in his locker to get the best out of those players and get them producing. He’s done it at levels above the EIHL so again I think you have to give him time to get these implemented and executed.

There are players capable of a lot more than what they are currently giving. I’m not one to throw the coach under the bus as it removes accountability from those players. As mentioned by others what drives me nuts is seeing a team look all depressed and sorry for themselves stood there at the end of the game just waiting to run of to the changing room. You had your chance. What I want is a team who looks so angry with themselves they want to play a full 60 mins right there and then to put it right. I don’t even want any of them gassed. I want them back out there with a self administered rocket up their hoop ready to take Steelers winning record and tear it apart.
Agree with pretty much everything here. Russell has shown he knows how to get teams to win, but he needs time.

A lot has changed since he was last in the league. But as pointed out, he also needs to be able to see players with his own eyes. He needs to be able to build a team from a roster that hasn’t really challenged for two years.

Keefe had been at the Giants for 6 years before taking over as coach. And they still only finished 5th in his first season as coach with a 0.63 points %.
This is Fox’s 5th season with the Steelers and so far they’ve only won a CC.
The last time a coach won the league in his first season as coach was in 2015-16 when Paul Thompson joined Sheffield. And even then he’d taken over Adams’ team who won it the previous season.

If you’d told me in the summer that with a new coach we’d be second in the league at the turn of the year I’d have taken it. I think some fans are being overly critical and pessimistic because Sheffield are having one of those seasons that happens once every decade or so.
Our CC campaign had actually been pretty good, we just had one bad game when it mattered most. We’re into the Finals of the Conti Cup and ultimately our season revolves around that.
Choosing to play in that means we have had to play 6 games more than everyone bar Belfast. We’ve played 3 games a week for most of the last three months and I think that is where a lot of our inconsistency comes from. If we win it, it’s been a success. If we dont, it’s arguably cost us domestic competitiveness.

But I can’t really believe people are suggesting we get rid of Russell and start the whole cycle again.

Wannabe2

In fairness Finny lots of people are not complaining about losing, it’s the way we lose. If I come out of our gaff having lost 3 -0, 2-1, or whatever but I have sat most of the game on the edge of my seat, watching a great game between two passionate teams and we lose because they were better than u, then I have no problem and I have had my moneys worth. No one is entitled to win and that includes us, but when we lose because it looks like we can’t be bothered, or show zero passion to the club or the fans that’s a different matter, passion ain’t like a light switch, you can’t turn it on and off, you either have it or you don’t and if you don’t, then you shouldn’t be here taking peoples hard earned money, no one gets paid in the outside world for just turning up. If fans are entertained then to most fans that’s enough, we all want to win but getting our moneys worth to me is what most people want and expect. Rant over.

Finny

In fairness Finny lots of people are not complaining about losing, it’s the way we lose. If I come out of our gaff having lost 3 -0, 2-1, or whatever but I have sat most of the game on the edge of my seat, watching a great game between two passionate teams and we lose because they were better than u, then I have no problem and I have had my moneys worth. No one is entitled to win and that includes us, but when we lose because it looks like we can’t be bothered, or show zero passion to the club or the fans that’s a different matter, passion ain’t like a light switch, you can’t turn it on and off, you either have it or you don’t and if you don’t, then you shouldn’t be here taking peoples hard earned money, no one gets paid in the outside world for just turning up. If fans are entertained then to most fans that’s enough, we all want to win but getting our moneys worth to me is what most people want and expect. Rant over.
I didn’t see the third period but for two periods we competed in an exciting game. There was no lack of passion or desire in those two periods.

august04 2.0

I agree that the 14-15 season was one of my favourites seasons of all time. But I also think we remember it through rose-tinted glasses.
For starters, for much of the summer it didn’t look like there would be any hockey. And then, when we signed the roster with only weeks to spare our expectations were pretty low.
But we built a team for the BBT and we exceeded expectations.

But, there was a downside to that. We struggled on the big ice. iIRC we were heavily outshot in that CC Final and won it thanks to an all-time great performance from Bowns.
We lost 11-0 in Sheffield. In fact we lost every game in Sheffield bar the CC miracle. We also lost to them 6-0 at home.
We lost all four league games in Belfast. Including heavy 6-3 and 7-4 defeats And we lost to them in Playoff QF. After losing 1-0 away we lost 7-3 at home. Afterwards there we complaints that we had been bullied in our own rink. I remember Clarkson throughout the second half of the season getting criticism for not being physical enough for such a big guy. Sound familiar….

So yes that was a fun season and one of the most enjoyable. But it wasn’t sustainable. Either from the facilities or the success on ice.
I don’t remember it through rose tinted glasses at all. I never said we won everything, quite the opposite with “just” the CC to show for it. And we could have won the league title too if not for the CC celebrations, who knows? But it was bloody entertaining most nights, win, lose or draw - and that has always been more important for me. And as for Clarkson, maybe he wasn't physical every night but really he was just part of the supporting cast. That team most certainly had each others backs, sadly lacking with this one I’m afraid.

E.D.S.

I don’t remember it through rose tinted glasses at all. I never said we won everything, quite the opposite with “just” the CC to show for it. And we could have won the league title too if not for the CC celebrations, who knows? But it was bloody entertaining most nights, win, lose or draw - and that has always been more important for me. And as for Clarkson, maybe he wasn't physical every night but really he was just part of the supporting cast. That team most certainly had each others backs, sadly lacking with this one I’m afraid.
Still can't get my head around the thumping we took in Sheffield post CC win. I get it was the first trophy in a while but that was poor in my book. Even worse, I was there to watch it.

When did Russell say he didn’t like the physical side of the game?

Are you referring to the post-game clip against Clan that was then deleted? If so he said nothing of the sort.

This game/interview for me was the issue, the players stuck up for themselves and I bet he went nuts on them in the changing room. Yes it was messy however for me it sends the wrong message to all the teams about us that they can get under our skin and we will not do anything about it. Russell wants to play this euro type game that will not work week in week out in this league.

Twice this weekend they got something on our goalie and we did nothing! What message does that send to the other teams?

Wannabe2

Like lots of things there’s two parts to every debate, to Managment, Coaches etc and some fans it’s about results, it doesn’t matter one iota how it comes, it don’t matter if all the punters are asleep thru a borefest it’s about results, and then you have the fans that want to be entertained, and that don’t have to be about fighting, but passion, guts, heart, leaving it all out there on the ice, and working for their pay. If your going to blast out this is our house, then show you don’t mess with our house, and not it’s our house but if you want it come on in.

august04 2.0

Agree with pretty much everything here. Russell has shown he knows how to get teams to win, but he needs time.

A lot has changed since he was last in the league. But as pointed out, he also needs to be able to see players with his own eyes. He needs to be able to build a team from a roster that hasn’t really challenged for two years.

Keefe had been at the Giants for 6 years before taking over as coach. And they still only finished 5th in his first season as coach with a 0.63 points %.
This is Fox’s 5th season with the Steelers and so far they’ve only won a CC.
The last time a coach won the league in his first season as coach was in 2015-16 when Paul Thompson joined Sheffield. And even then he’d taken over Adams’ team who won it the previous season.

If you’d told me in the summer that with a new coach we’d be second in the league at the turn of the year I’d have taken it. I think some fans are being overly critical and pessimistic because Sheffield are having one of those seasons that happens once every decade or so.
Our CC campaign had actually been pretty good, we just had one bad game when it mattered most. We’re into the Finals of the Conti Cup and ultimately our season revolves around that.
Choosing to play in that means we have had to play 6 games more than everyone bar Belfast. We’ve played 3 games a week for most of the last three months and I think that is where a lot of our inconsistency comes from. If we win it, it’s been a success. If we dont, it’s arguably cost us domestic competitiveness.

But I can’t really believe people are suggesting we get rid of Russell and start the whole cycle again.
The Conti Cup has contributed an extra 3 games so far to the Devils workload. It’s hardly been that taxing. Everybody is in the same boat with fixtures all over the place after the Johnson tragedy. What bothers me more is the number of interviews from PR where he highlights the number of games and possible fatigue. That just delivers a ready made excuse to certain players. It might be an issue but don’t moan about it, just get on with it. We’re carrying spares after all to cover injuries.

Finny

This game/interview for me was the issue, the players stuck up for themselves and I bet he went nuts on them in the changing room. Yes it was messy however for me it sends the wrong message to all the teams about us that they can get under our skin and we will not do anything about it. Russell wants to play this euro type game that will not work week in week out in this league.

Twice this weekend they got something on our goalie and we did nothing! What message does that send to the other teams?
Thanks for posting the video which proves my point.

At no point does Russell say he doesn’t like the physical part of the game. He’s clearly talking about the nonsense at the end of the game between the benches. It was deleted and then re-posted with a clever edit because he points out that we should have had several players suspended for the next game. God knows how we dodged that.

If a player wants to slap someone or fight someone then fine. You’ve got 58 minutes to do it.
But do it in the final two minutes or after the whistle and 99 times out of 100 you’ll get a ban.

The_Stick_

Thanks for posting the video which proves my point.

At no point does Russell say he doesn’t like the physical part of the game. He’s clearly talking about the nonsense at the end of the game between the benches. It was deleted and then re-posted with a clever edit because he points out that we should have had several players suspended for the next game. God knows how we dodged that.

If a player wants to slap someone or fight someone then fine. You’ve got 58 minutes to do it.
But do it in the final two minutes or after the whistle and 99 times out of 100 you’ll get a ban.
I personally don’t see anything wrong with a coach being frustrated that a number of his players faced suspension when already short

Finny

The Conti Cup has contributed an extra 3 games so far to the Devils workload. It’s hardly been that taxing. Everybody is in the same boat with fixtures all over the place after the Johnson tragedy. What bothers me more is the number of interviews from PR where he highlights the number of games and possible fatigue. That just delivers a ready made excuse to certain players. It might be an issue but don’t moan about it, just get on with it. We’re carrying spares after all to cover injuries.
No, we had to move fixtures to the start of the season to allow for the two weekends of Conti Cup.
We’ve played 8 competitive games more than the Steelers this season already. Even Belfast with their 6 CHL games played two CC less than us.

august04 2.0

No, we had to move fixtures to the start of the season to allow for the two weekends of Conti Cup.
We’ve played 8 competitive games more than the Steelers this season already. Even Belfast with their 6 CHL games played two CC less than us.
The season has been badly affected by unforeseen and tragic circumstances. Our having to move fixtures and so far play an extra 3 games for a minor, second rate European competition, pales into insignificance compared with what Nottingham and Sheffield have had to endure. You’re just looking for excuses, as always when the Devils are struggling. There aren’t any - except we're just not good enough or mentally strong enough.

Arranging deckchairs again I’m afraid Finny.

Every team has to deal with injuries, every team has to deal with fatigue and our management team agreed to and scheduled the congested fixture list so that isn’t an excuse to be rolled out when results don’t go our way!

This years team is the basis of last years team which is the basis of the previous years team.
It wasn’t good enough to win the league then and surprise surprise it isn’t good enough to win the league now.
Yes we have some talented players and yes we have some hard working players but to win the league neither talent nor hard work alone will win the league.
It’s also about mental toughness a resilience and never say die attitude, winning games late in the 3rd not losing them!

To win the league you need talented players who work hard EVERY NIGHT.
Sheffield have it this year and Belfast had it last year, a few years ago the Devils had it too!
Even our top scorer who is capable of scoring 4 or 5 goals in a single weekend is just as likely to then go 2 or 3 weekends without scoring.

We have made some good additions to the roster this season but so have many of our rivals with their rosters, but we have built a team around a core of players who aren’t good enough to mount a sustained challenge

Sheffield are a class apart this year and so are Fife in their own way but the rest of the bunch are pretty mediocre and much of a muchness

Before a puck was dropped this season there was a poll on this forum predicting the top 3 teams at the end of the season, I had the Devils outside the top 3 again as I thought we had brought back too many under performers and rewarded mediocrity in some cases.

This season is rinse and repeat, not because of fixture congestion or fatigue it’s down to too many who have got comfortable with losing.

I’d take a 37 yr old Stephen Dixon over pretty much all of these guys EVERY day of the week!

Wannabe2

Arranging deckchairs again I’m afraid Finny.

Every team has to deal with injuries, every team has to deal with fatigue and our management team agreed to and scheduled the congested fixture list so that isn’t an excuse to be rolled out when results don’t go our way!

This years team is the basis of last years team which is the basis of the previous years team.
It wasn’t good enough to win the league then and surprise surprise it isn’t good enough to win the league now.
Yes we have some talented players and yes we have some hard working players but to win the league neither talent nor hard work alone will win the league.
It’s also about mental toughness a resilience and never say die attitude, winning games late in the 3rd not losing them!

To win the league you need talented players who work hard EVERY NIGHT.
Sheffield have it this year and Belfast had it last year, a few years ago the Devils had it too!
Even our top scorer who is capable of scoring 4 or 5 goals in a single weekend is just as likely to then go 2 or 3 weekends without scoring.

We have made some good additions to the roster this season but so have many of our rivals with their rosters, but we have built a team around a core of players who aren’t good enough to mount a sustained challenge

Sheffield are a class apart this year and so are Fife in their own way but the rest of the bunch are pretty mediocre and much of a muchness

Before a puck was dropped this season there was a poll on this forum predicting the top 3 teams at the end of the season, I had the Devils outside the top 3 again as I thought we had brought back too many under performers and rewarded mediocrity in some cases.

This season is rinse and repeat, not because of fixture congestion or fatigue it’s down to too many who have got comfortable with losing.

I’d take a 37 yr old Stephen Dixon over pretty much all of these guys EVERY day of the week!
Absolutely spot on, this post says it all and hits the nail firmly on the head, can’t argue with any of it unfortunately.