Devils Vs Flyers - League - 28th Jan 23 - 19:00 FO

What more can you ask for, I wonder if Kelly going back is to make sure he gets the minutes to develop so long term he's used to logging long minutes and can be a Ritchie replacement

Can’t ask for much more than that.

7 goals, and Owen is the only reason it was only 7. He really is a good Nettie, just a shame he plays behind a poor team.

Are there still things to improve on? Of course. But I’ll take those 2 points and hope we can pull off the same away tomorrow. Would give us clear daylight from the Steelers, and put us 4 points behind Guildford. We are in with a chance if we can pick up those points tomorrow.

On a less optimistic note, some dodgy calls tonight. Or lack of.

In particular a boarding/checking from behind penalty not called when Ben Davies was crosschecked into the boards face first.

An interference call on us which should have gone the other way, and a trip on Waller that was so blatant I think they must have been feeling sorry for Fife as we were quite a way ahead at that point.

Few awkward videos to watch for the refs in review.

Earnie

Credit to them all. Great performance guys. Joey Martin is in top form.
999 - a memorable game as well.
AND. We are in second place!

jenks33

Great win. I expected us to win tonight but I didn’t see us sticking 7 past Owen. Hopefully we managed to give a few guys a rest in the third period before a crucial game in Dundee tomorrow.

Only slight concern I’ve got is the amount of shots we’re giving up in the first period (and I appreciate I’m bloody nitpicking here). 17 vs Glasgow on Tuesday and Fife had 24 shots in the first period (15 on Kozun). I wasn’t there tonight so maybe it didn’t seem like Fife had as much pressure as that?

Anyway a very good home win and as others have said Joey Martin seems more like the old Joey Martin again.

ASHIPP

The Cox-Martin-Sanford line is a great chemistry. Great to see Joey shine tonight, he's usually the one setting other players up for goals.

Results in games like these , against teams in the lower half of the league, are as important to chalk off as celebrating those hard won ground outs against our rivals. Take the 2 points, ugly win or not.

It is so close in the League at the moment. 3 teams on 53 points and the Devils with a one game in hand advantage. Very exciting.

BostonBart22

Owen must be on very good money to stay with that shower of poo, worst team I've seen at IAW this season , it really could've been double figures last night, great win for us though and a must win in Dundee tonight, its in our hands for the final push ..those 2 guildford games at home coming up are gonna be crucial as with all the games coming up. We gotta play the others teams twice from the top 4, belfast got guildford next Friday, and in a few weeks Sheffield got belfast twice at the house of rust.

BostonBart22

Can’t ask for much more than that.

7 goals, and Owen is the only reason it was only 7. He really is a good Nettie, just a shame he plays behind a poor team.

Are there still things to improve on? Of course. But I’ll take those 2 points and hope we can pull off the same away tomorrow. Would give us clear daylight from the Steelers, and put us 4 points behind Guildford. We are in with a chance if we can pick up those points tomorrow.

On a less optimistic note, some dodgy calls tonight. Or lack of.

In particular a boarding/checking from behind penalty not called when Ben Davies was crosschecked into the boards face first.

An interference call on us which should have gone the other way, and a trip on Waller that was so blatant I think they must have been feeling sorry for Fife as we were quite a way ahead at that point.

Few awkward videos to watch for the refs in review.
Yes dops will look at it plus fournier running Owen, from where I was sat he could've pulled out of it. Maybe that's just my view. Hopefully my eyesight wasn't good last night and the clash with Owen was good.

Wannabe2

Joey Martin was truly immense last night, he was everywhere and inspirational to everyone. When Joey is on song he is pure poetry in motion and a real joy to watch. We played as a team last night and boy did it show, it was a real pleasure to watch and to enjoy, same again tonight please.

E.D.S.

Thank you Mr Fournier. For the last 6/7 years I’ve sat and watched teams come
here and take liberties with our goalies. It was so refreshing to see Fournier make an aggressive play (possible goalie interference) but brilliant. Thank you.

Batch, Ritchie, Lou and Thompson were superb tonight.

The Davies and Duggan penalty kill has to be my favourite Devils line for a long time. The communication and work rate from those two is incredible and then when they go to full strength with Brandt its so entertaining. Davies could have easily got MoM tonight.
Yes it was only Flyers but still a good performance. A couple of powerplay goals too and has everyone has said… Joey Martin was sublime tonight.
well done boys

ASHIPP

Thank you Mr Fournier. For the last 6/7 years I’ve sat and watched teams come
here and take liberties with our goalies. It was so refreshing to see Fournier make an aggressive play (possible goalie interference) but brilliant. Thank you.

Batch, Ritchie, Lou and Thompson were superb tonight.

The Davies and Duggan penalty kill has to be my favourite Devils line for a long time. The communication and work rate from those two is incredible and then when they go to full strength with Brandt its so entertaining. Davies could have easily got MoM tonight.
Yes it was only Flyers but still a good performance. A couple of powerplay goals too and has everyone has said… Joey Martin was sublime tonight.
well done boys
We say 'only the Flyers' or 'they are bottom of the Elite League'. These are the teams that get up for the really important games that can damage a top 3 Team's plans to challenge for the league title. Fife, Dundee, Manchester have often been our nemesis over many years.

Infact, tonight at Dundee could be a massive banana skin game for the Devils.

Owen is a great goalie...was rumoured to be coming to the Devils at one point.

Yes dops will look at it plus fournier running Owen, from where I was sat he could've pulled out of it. Maybe that's just my view. Hopefully my eyesight wasn't good last night and the clash with Owen was good.
My view was from behind Owen, so I can’t say 100%, but there was definitely contact from the Fife player. I’m not convinced Fournier could have stopped, as both him and the Fife player ended up on top of Owen.

If anything, I think the 2 minutes was enough.

Fournier came over to check he was alright at the end of the first, and also gave him some chirps just to let him know they weren’t buddies. Absolute character.

From my perspective on the webcast I also thought the pressure from the Dman made it more difficult for Fournier to avoid Owen.
Whether he could have made a better effort to hit the brakes is another matter

E.D.S.

We say 'only the Flyers' or 'they are bottom of the Elite League'. These are the teams that get up for the really important games that can damage a top 3 Team's plans to challenge for the league title. Fife, Dundee, Manchester have often been our nemesis over many years.

Infact, tonight at Dundee could be a massive banana skin game for the Devils.

Owen is a great goalie...was rumoured to be coming to the Devils at one point.
Flyers at home v flyers away… I’d expect us to have comfortably beaten them. The league doesn’t lie but you’re right, any team on it’s day can step up but for me this was very much a case of ‘only the Flyers’.

Dundee away is another matter entirely.

Last edited: