Devils Vs Flyers - League - 2nd Nov 22 - 19:30 FO

drainage

Wow James never knew that, must get the dvd I made of him to you, he certainly was something else, prior to signing for us he scored 7 goals against us, you would have loved this legend, greatest ever and a pure Gent.
First time I saw Dougie he played for Lee Valley and ran riot! Was like “ what the actual heck am I watching” he signed for us next season. My fave player by some way , I named my cat after him! Someone told him and next time he saw me he asked how Doug the cat was lovely man brilliant player number rightfully retired

moggy#9

The goalies were some of the best around? I respect your opinions but they were nowhere near it.

He wasn’t the only player to have put up north of 150 points in a 30 game season.

You mentioned Hotham, Fournier and Cox as comparators. I think each of these would break 200 points with ease in those days.

It was entertaining for sure, but the standard was very bad compared to the ISL and the product we had pre covid.

I so want to believe that prime Dougie could transition and I’m sure he’d be a good player in this league today.

But i don’t think he’d have a hope of going coast to coast like he could in that era.

I’m just disputing his place as top Devil of all time, not that I don’t rate what he did in that era
But this is an argument that's been had about how past greats would get on in the current NHL. For my money a Gretzky, an orr or a Howe would thrive in any era. Current players have benefitted for better strength and fitness training, better equipment, better coaching and in game analysis.

You're undoubtedly right that any of those players would dominate in that past era. There thing is, if MC was 26 in today's league he would have had those current benefits.

Also let's not forget that he and Shannon hope went undrafted due to the smaller size of the NHL in those days. I suspect that wouldn't be the case with the bigger size of pro hockey and the improved scouting that exists today.

I think that the qualities that would allow a player to thrive in any era are heart and determination. MC had those in spades. I don't ever recall an occasion where he didn't give 100% for the devils.

E.D.S.

The goalies were some of the best around? I respect your opinions but they were nowhere near it.

He wasn’t the only player to have put up north of 150 points in a 30 game season.

You mentioned Hotham, Fournier and Cox as comparators. I think each of these would break 200 points with ease in those days.

It was entertaining for sure, but the standard was very bad compared to the ISL and the product we had pre covid.

I so want to believe that prime Dougie could transition and I’m sure he’d be a good player in this league today.

But i don’t think he’d have a hope of going coast to coast like he could in that era.

I’m just disputing his place as top Devil of all time, not that I don’t rate what he did in that era
You mean coast to coast like Fournier has done in this league?? when I say best around, I mean best around In that era.
You can’t compare Hotham or Fourns to that era as they aren’t from that era, they are quicker, bigger and way more skill full. Bit like putting Christiano Ronaldo up against the likes of Gary Mabutt week in and week out.

As for best Devil of all time…. Those debates are purely subjective. Good debate though.

drainage

I think the fact we are able to bring in so many “newbies” isn’t to be frowned up, it should be something that every fan should want to embrace. Everyone here has a passion for our team, young or old, and the fact that the team we care about and have such passion for is growing to a new audience is a brilliant sight that I do not wish to slow down at any stage.
None of us can live forever and attend games in their dotage! ……if our sport is to survive we need people to come , find the love and return. That’s exactly what I did and this season have a first time ST fan sitting by me , she’s loving discussing what’s going on , who is doing what , what the officials are upto etc as well as tales of seasons past! If her first season enthusiasm is any guide she’s in for the long haul !

kettdevil1

First time I saw Dougie he played for Lee Valley and ran riot! Was like “ what the actual heck am I watching” he signed for us next season. My fave player by some way , I named my cat after him! Someone told him and next time he saw me he asked how Doug the cat was lovely man brilliant player number rightfully retired
I am trying to remember the name of the player who we signed but then who backed out of the agreement meaning we had to cast around again and we then signed Dougie..... I think it was Paul Castron or someone similar.... whoever it was we owe them a favour as Dougie was immense for us

drainage

I am trying to remember the name of the player who we signed but then who backed out of the agreement meaning we had to cast around again and we then signed Dougie..... I think it was Paul Castron or someone similar.... whoever it was we owe them a favour as Dougie was immense for us
I recall Nell backing out but not sure when and doubt Doug would be a direct replacement so you may well be right with Cranston that does ring a bell!

fridaysfingers

Was either Castron or Tony Fiori

Cadieux is a player that I really wish had been with us longer.
Agree - Cadieux was a very classy customer and became an instant fan favourite. Scored 5 on his home debut too. :) To echo everyone here, Doug McEwan was a class act. Someone said before that it all just looked so effortless to him and could cover any position on the ice with ease - and, the master of the stick lift centre ice! I was in my youth in those days, but amazing memories and these are the guys that started it all for this great club. Also agreed, a bit of a shame the club did not make more of Doug's attendance mid-week due to the impact he made in the clubs infancy. Club legend!

Kevlar68

Doug was pure class on the ice and a gent off it.
I remember one night the staff were having a knock about on the ice at WNIR, I forgot my gloves and Doug gave me his spare to use. When I went to give them back he just said keep them until I'm finished with them. I never did finish with them and Doug never asked for them back. Most humble, friendly, approachable guy you could ever meet.