Devils vs Football/Rugby?

Thread starter #1
Guessing many of us Devils fans have more than one sporting interest out there?

So, if it's a choice of braving the arctic conditions to the BBT or watching/tuning in to your favourite football/rugby team where do your priorities stand?

Until four years ago it was a no brainer for me, I grew up in Greater Manchester and was (still am to a large degree) a huge Manchester City supporter.

As a season ticket holder for now my third year I have to say now its a complete no brainer. On the many occasions i've been faced with the potential dilemma of a sporting clash, hockey wins everytime!

Any thoughts :?:

been watching hockey for at least 12 years so for me its hockey all the way, i do occasionally watch the rugby internationals and 6 nations but nothing compares to the excitement and the ups and downs hockey provides :D

jimmy snels

i agree, i am a huge man utd fan and i must say i hav for a couple of seasons now been putting hockey ahead of football. i find the now no contact aspect of football and all the diving tedious and annoying. hence why i was so annoyed with the recent vother ban. i think hockey is just a much more exciting prospect locally than anything else we could watch :)

I love pretty much every sport. But ice hockey's my favourite and I'd always choose going to watch the Devils ahead of any other. When the rugby was meant to clash with that Hull game earlier in the season, despite having tickets for the All Blacks game, I would have picked the Devils over it if I had needed to choose.

Ger-Devils

Season ticket at both Cardiff City and the Devils. As Finny said, rarely clashes.

Also I work 1 Saturday in 5 or so and finish in time to get to the hockey games no problem

Wannabe2

Personnnally i only thought there was one sport, what are these things Football, Rugby, are they foreign to our shores, how can anyone play a team sport without skates on, they must look totally ridiculous, and how the hell can they drop the gloves, if they aint wearing them. Thank God those ridiculous pastimes will never catch on in this Country.

Ger-Devils

Wannabe2 said:
Personnnally i only thought there was one sport, what are these things Football, Rugby, are they foreign to our shores, how can anyone play a team sport without skates on, they must look totally ridiculous, and how the hell can they drop the gloves, if they aint wearing them. Thank God those ridiculous pastimes will never catch on in this Country.
:lol: :D

TheStub

I've never really liked any sport other than hockey. Me and sport never really got on until I found hockey and I'm now fanatical about it. Over a decade lost :lol:

Diafol

I've been a huge Liverpool fan since I was a kid, never had the opportunity to go watch a local team so the only football I ever saw was on MOTD, and the way the Liverpool teams of the 70s and 80s played had me hooked.

As soon as I was old enough to get a driving licence and my own car, I was off to Anfield as often as my bank balance would allow.

However, watching a few Devils games on Sky Sports in the ISL days got me interested in hockey (as well as playing NHL on the Megadrive) :lol: and I eventually decided to go to a live game in the final ISL season, about 10 years ago.

I've hardly missed a game since. Hockey is definitely my number one sport these days, I've had a season ticket since the last season in the WNIR, go to ENL games when I can, and my son and nephew are also hooked.

I even managed to take in 4 NHL games on my honeymoon (but did make a small concession by getting front row tickets for Mamma Mia on Broadway, it was the least I could do) :lol:

Although I've managed to get to1 game at Anfield so far this season, I can't see me getting to many more - all my time and money are taken up by the Devils.

And egg-chasing ? I can take it or leave it, I'll watch the internationals, but the club games ? Meh...

A

Anonymous

Personally I have never enjoyed rugby especially after being made to play it in school :cry:

It's always been football for me being a huge Liverpool fan. I used to watch Hereford too home and away. Since becoming a Devil however hockey has pretty much taken over my life. I'm literally obsessed with it.
I still watch and enjoy footy, but I don't seem to care about it anymore. Years ago if LFC lost I'd be gutted, now I don't give two hoots.
Its the Devils that matter. No-one at work likes or follows hockey, so if we lose nobody takes the Michael !!

as well as playing NHL on the Megadrive)
Ahhh them were the days. :D

jcb

Been a hockey fan for the past 30+ years and watched the Devils since the start. Always enjoyed rugby but couldn't play due to poor eyesight, but the ability to wear a cage allowed me to play hockey with my glasses on.

I have to admit however that these days rugby is my first love and I now have a Blues season ticket. Been to a couple of Devils games this year including last weeks game with Sheffield but it's now only when my son is home from uni that i get the inclination to go.

I also must admit that the tent puts me off a bit due the poor sightlines. I hope that whoever eventually builds the new facilty manages to acheive uninterrupted sightlines from all seats.

voth26

now your talking daifol still got the kids megadrive with nhl, not a patch on whats out to day but it still gets an airing from time to time what memories to have conjured up :lol: :lol:

It was always rugby for me as a kid (Scarlets), then I'd say football took over (Liverpool) and I'm a fan of loads of other sports. Went to my first ice hockey game 4 years ago when my brother-in-law (a Blaze fan) took me to see Blaze v Devils - probably not too many on here that went to an away game for their first time watching Devils! I was instantly hooked and now it's defintely my number one sport.

Saying that - I know they wouldn't do this, but if a Devils match clashed with a Wales Six Nations match, I'd porbably go for the rugby, but Devils often clash with 4pm Sunday Sky kick offs involving Liverpool or Sunday afternoon Scarlets games and I'd always choose Devils.

Diafol

ledgend777 said:
It was always rugby for me as a kid (Scarlets), then I'd say football took over (Liverpool) and I'm a fan of loads of other sports. Went to my first ice hockey game 4 years ago when my brother-in-law (a Blaze fan) took me to see Blaze v Devils - probably not too many on here that went to an away game for their first time watching Devils! I was instantly hooked and now it's defintely my number one sport.

Saying that - I know they wouldn't do this, but if a Devils match clashed with a Wales Six Nations match, I'd porbably go for the rugby, but Devils often clash with 4pm Sunday Sky kick offs involving Liverpool or Sunday afternoon Scarlets games and I'd always choose Devils.
Me too, the problem with Sunday 4pm games is that you usually get someone blurting out the result before you have a chance to get home and watch it :x

Years ago was football, then about 12 years ago got into ice hockey and now its is my favourite sport.

Can't be bothered with football anymore even turned down tickets to City's cup final and playoff final! Don't get to watch much hockey due to work and not living in Cardiff but will be in Coventry boxing day and can't wait!!!

Wannabe2

Diavlo rosso said:
Years ago was football, then about 12 years ago got into ice hockey and now its is my favourite sport.

Can't be bothered with football anymore even turned down tickets to City's cup final and playoff final! Don't get to watch much hockey due to work and not living in Cardiff but will be in Coventry boxing day and can't wait!!!
Good man, keep the faith.