Devils Vs Giants - 6th Feb - 7pm Face Off - Chat / Updates

DevilDom

Re: Devils Vs Giants - 6th Feb - 7pm Face Off - Chat / Updat

This is developing into a full scale slump.

Lord really needs to earn his corn now and turn this around quickly.

A win against Sheffield on Sunday will make everything ok again!

Surprised by this one tonight. When you guys rolled into Belfast for the Semi final, I felt that we could have played for a week and not beaten you. You drove the net, hit us all over the ice and out worked us.

I know you shouldn't judge two teams based on two isolated games, but you guys looked a different team tonight. Very surprised at the lack of physicality from the Devils. Strange. I really wasn't expecting a Giants win.

The thought of a possible playoff quarter final against you guys is a horrendous prospect. I feel that our guys played so tough tonight cos a playoff quarter final against the Devils will signal the end of any team's hopes of playoff success. It's the only trophy that we have a chance of this year and we have to finish away from 4th or 5th.

kettdevil1

BelfastGiants said:
The thought of a possible playoff quarter final against you guys is a horrendous prospect. I feel that our guys played so tough tonight cos a playoff quarter final against the Devils will signal the end of any team's hopes of playoff success. It's the only trophy that we have a chance of this year and we have to finish away from 4th or 5th.
This is a good point, at least one of the 'big 5' is going to be on the golf course at Easter and whoever finishes in 4th and 5th is going to be in a war.....

The run of losses is getting worrying but....every team is going to have a bad run (think Sheffield a few weeks ago) and I would far rather us have ours now than in a few weeks time.

backrow

I said it the other day, the Devils need their physical players to establish their physical presence all over the ice. They haven't done that lately.

Again this game, the Devils were guilty of basically giving a couple of goals away. We need our D to make better breakout passes and to be more dominant in front of our net. The whole team can play much better defensively from the goalie out!

jimmy snels

The lack of physicality has been obvious for weeks. I don't mean to be funny but where's the point in having players who's main claim to fame is being physical if we don't play like that? We'd be better off investing in out n out goal scorers if that's the case. Clarkson is 6-6 and if Westgarth is dishing it out he should be jumping him, he has played very quietly against them all season. mychan has avoided keefe like the plague. Hendrikx has gone quiet as well.

I was most surprised by Hendrikx last night. He has tortured the Giants and Westgarth in particular. I didn't notice his physicality last night. It was interesting that Mike Kompon was calling Clarkson chicken all night from the bench because he didn't want anything to do with Westgarth.

From a Giants perspective, Westgarth last night, did what he should have done all year - been a big body, physical and a pain in the backside. What he did with 6 minutes to go was out of order. I think he felt there would be no retribution as the Devils tough guys didn't make him accountable during the game. It seemed a very different Devils side to the one that has bullied us for most of the year.

The last time the Devils were in the Odyssey, you looked the most complete and well rounded team I had seen. I can only assume that some guys are hurt at the moment. Still fancy you guys for the playoffs.

Wouldn't a 3 or 5 game playoff series be a great thing? I know it's not logistically possible. Hopefully something the EIHL can build towards.

voth26

jimmy snels said:
Basically i miss having vother
I like the guys we got this year, but i have to agree Voth would have made westgarth answer the same with Keefe. Voth would also have made everyone accountable and im not sure thats happening right now. This team needs something to kickstart their season, Lordo has to find that something. It's like someone turned the tap off on all aspects of our game. Come on Devils we believe in you but you have to start believing in YOURSELVES.

bb1

Our lack of intensity over past few weeks has really surprised me.
Hendo is obviously carrying a knock and has been quiet and this seems to have affected Batchy too who also has zero physicality or prescence ATM.

What wound me up was how Westgarth ran the show last night. Dougie needs to step up to guys like him and quit the chirping. We know he can fight as good as anybody.

Plus what the hell are we doing letting our top points scorer Joey Martin drop the gloves! Credit where credits due he showed grit and determination last night as did Jake and Hotham. We also can't keep letting Hotham get into all the physical stuff because if he breaks a knuckle etc...we will be stuffed.

Mychan is the most frustrating for me as we actually brought him in as our 'enforcer' beleive it or not! He brings very little in that respect and it just highlights how good a guy like Adam Keefe is at doing his job.

We have a great group of guys here but a few need to get a rocket up their arse and start looking out for each other a bit more and not rely on guys like Hotham and Joey to drop the mitts!

jimmy snels

I'm also if I'm honest disappointed with the new signing. we were looking for biz an NHL level player of great calibre and were told we would be looking to sign someone of the same ilk basically. The next day we get a 36 year old assist guy Who never played that level and arguably is not a goal scorer of any sort. we signed a player too late and when we did it wasn't a signing we needed IMO. There were lots and still are lots of players ex NHL/AHL without clubs. I'd have thought if we made that signing around xmas we wouldn't be in this quagmire.

bb1

If I'm honest I really thought its a huge signing and we have a Kurka type guy but after last night I think what we needed was a guy who will inject intensity. Even a David Ling would bring that. I hate calling out players generally but Mychan really isn't doing his job at all. He should be dropping the mitts with guys like phillips and not our top scorer

Bowns is having a mare recently I blame him for 2 or 3 of the goals. Gives up rebounds for fun.

I watched the webcast and thought we were second to every thing bowns at least 3 4 soft goals and we don't seem to hit anymore we justed looked all over the place Hotham was the stand out for me

Don't really understand the new signing inless it's cover for Walton coz we signed harding young brit good player hits well so why don't lord call on him ?

bb1

Hotham, Martin and Jake were fantastic last night as they always are. Hudson was very good too.

Hate to say it but I think Todd and Lordo may make a U turn and get an import nettie in next season esp with extra import allowed. Bownes is giving up far too many soft goals and always has but it is now highlighted even more with our poor form lately across the ice.

Finny

FOD DEVIL said:
Don't really understand the new signing inless it's cover for Walton coz we signed harding young brit good player hits well so why don't lord call on him ?
Harding is on a 2 way with Swindon, with them getting priority.

bb1

With all due respect Harding is not up to this level at all.

Ppl slated me at start of season for this but I said we should have had Max on a 2 way as injury COVER if it was at all possible. Think we may have seen glimpses of his old self with this style team.

ASHIPP

The lack of physicality and obvious form in recent games screams injuries to me. Unfortunately it seems to be throughout the team . A team whose systems have served them so well and whose form has been fantastic doesn't suddenly become a poor team with poor coaching.

Recent games follow the same pattern....a very early goal conceded and the guys are battling to get the lead. It wears them down. They conserve all their energy for the last 15 minutes and start playing like the Cardiff Devils....but it's too late because of the goal margin.

I wonder now if they have identified the games they feel they can win and also will prioritise key games like the CC semis?

Continuous losses can't be doing anything for their confidence. Bownsey looks like he has an injury or confidence issue. Injured/off form defencemen are not going to be able to support that situation.

Whilst the introduction of a top class centre to bolster our forwards is a fantastic coup we didn't expect, I fear our real problems are at the back. And you can't win games without a fit and confident defence.