Devils Vs Stars - League - 20th Jan 24 - FO 19:00

Devils86

Was a surreal one for me tonight. After the highs and lows of a weekend of Euro hockey it was a strange game. Devils never got out of second gear but ended up a few goals ahead of an impotent Stars side. Seen many a side be dangerous but held back by pressure; or a quality team that takes us all the way....but that Stars team was lackluster.

What's really scary is we switched off at every opportunity; conceding 4 to that Stars team is rough.

For me nobody excelled although I will watch the Crandall tip on replay. A rather flat night and thankfully we didn't need anything more as Stars didn't turn up.

Apparently some big fella called Josh tied to make the game about him but nobody cared. Strange as he has probably turned up for more Devils games this season than last...

MA18

Was a surreal one for me tonight. After the highs and lows of a weekend of Euro hockey it was a strange game. Devils never got out of second gear but ended up a few goals ahead of an impotent Stars side. Seen many a side be dangerous but held back by pressure; or a quality team that takes us all the way....but that Stars team was lackluster.

What's really scary is we switched off at every opportunity; conceding 4 to that Stars team is rough.

For me nobody excelled although I will watch the Crandall tip on replay. A rather flat night and thankfully we didn't need anything more as Stars didn't turn up.

Apparently some big fella called Josh tied to make the game about him but nobody cared. Strange as he has probably turned up for more Devils games this season than last...
Made it about him? We were crying out for him to try and play like that for us and we still complain when certain individuals on our roster don’t step up and show that edge.

The switching off thing is a huge issue. It’s made us chase games we shouldn’t have this season or put us under pressure we shouldn’t be facing. Coach killer.

BostonBart22

Brittain and Brandt were chirping each other from their first shift. Brittain clearly shouted “fuck you” at Brandt just before a Devils O zone face off in response to whatever Riley said to him.

Also Donaghey laughing in Brittian’s face as they left the ice in opposite directions at the end of the first made me chuckle
Brandt offered brittain out at first face off bout 3 mins in, and he turtled , and looking at the fight turtle boy I thought was the instigator that's why PR and franny went berserk on the penalty calls as they seen it on the laptop

BostonBart22

Nasty looking hit to the head on Davies, puck looked like it was 30 ft away from the clip I saw on twitter - to absolutely no one's surprise it wasn't called. Any chance it's looked at post game?

Elsewhere flyers gone into first break 1-0 up on the steelers...
I'm pretty sure batch was on the ice and when Allen laid that hit he was looking for a reaction from a devils player, but hey ho nothing once again, really surprise davies got up from it, 4 officials on ice and not a whistle, shocking

Finny

Brandt offered brittain out at first face off bout 3 mins in, and he turtled , and looking at the fight turtle boy I thought was the instigator that's why PR and franny went berserk on the penalty calls as they seen it on the laptop
I’d assumed that they were looking at the hit on Davies and going mad at the non-call on that.

Finny

I'm pretty sure batch was on the ice and when Allen laid that hit he was looking for a reaction from a devils player, but hey ho nothing once again, really surprise davies got up from it, 4 officials on ice and not a whistle, shocking
Nothing once again?
Brandt literally smashed one of their players into the boards seconds later and then fought Brittain.

I think fans sometimes forget that it is possible not everyone sees the bad hit. It was very late and you’d be expecting the players to be following the puck. Allen did get a coupe of slashes and punches later in the game though.

Brittain punched Brandt after they both went down to the ice, showing no class at all, how we ever signed this sad excuse for a hockey player baffles me.
This was,frannyfault he recruited him ,he was absolute waste of import spot and his antics yesterday summed him up.Allen didn't have shift because stars had 7 d men,when we went 3-0 up lebebrve gave the nod and that's where he took Ben head of with that late hit and then Brittain and Brandt had a fight after Brittain declining brandy at 0-0.We better addresss this in the summer and go and get a hard nosed power forward who looks after the team and not some frauds we have in Alderson and Brittain of last year.It not Brandt job to do all of this.

Nothing once again?
Brandt literally smashed one of their players into the boards seconds later and then fought Brittain.

I think fans sometimes forget that it is possible not everyone sees the bad hit. It was very late and you’d be expecting the players to be following the puck. Allen did get a coupe of slashes and punches later in the game though.
He was staring right at it I sit in block 19 it was right under batch nose.

Entertaining game very low on quality but fun to watch.
BUT my biggest issue is megaphone guy. Love the idea,and all for it. But he needs to give it to someone else,it sounds awful (may be different in block 13) he is tone deaf.

E.D.S.

Nothing once again?

Completely agree.

The second we stop comparing Batch against a fighter/enforcer type or even against an import, the better. He’s got so much going for him. Blocks the lanes, gets a stick in and does the basics very well. He’s been on some real form these last few weeks.

E.D.S.

Entertaining game very low on quality but fun to watch.
BUT my biggest issue is megaphone guy. Love the idea,and all for it. But he needs to give it to someone else,it sounds awful (may be different in block 13) he is tone deaf.
In his defence… everyone has a go on the megaphone. Can’t fault the efforts of block 13. I don’t appreciate them pointing the finger at everyone else for not singing as it’s a personal choice on the flip side they are there to make noise and they did. They consistently do. An inspired move to give them their own block.

Great to see the Guides there tonight adding to that noise. Baffles me to see people moaning about how “screechy” they were. Packed out and noisy arena against Dundee. What’s not to love? If 10% of them come back with parents and end up getting a season ticket then it’s worth it.

Agree with your point about quality. We got sucked into a ‘rock em sock em’ game. Poor passing and retention created an up and down game, end to end. Probably added to the entertainment but definitely not the quality.

MA18

In his defence… everyone has a go on the megaphone. Can’t fault the efforts of block 13. I don’t appreciate them pointing the finger at everyone else for not singing as it’s a personal choice on the flip side they are there to make noise and they did. They consistently do. An inspired move to give them their own block.

Great to see the Guides there tonight adding to that noise. Baffles me to see people moaning about how “screechy” they were. Packed out and noisy arena against Dundee. What’s not to love? If 10% of them come back with parents and end up getting a season ticket then it’s worth it.

Agree with your point about quality. We got sucked into a ‘rock em sock em’ game. Poor passing and retention created an up and down game, end to end. Probably added to the entertainment but definitely not the quality.
I sit in block 18, other than last weekend I don’t think it works that well. The front handful of rows sit even though it’s standing and they can barely be heard. They (as we all did) set the bar high last weekend. More of that please.

The guides are great, unfortunately at my age I do find the high pitched noise a bit uncomfortable, but that’s fine, it’s one night and they are enjoying themselves.
That being said I’d happily move for a game if they want to put them all in a handful of blocks to sit them together.

E.D.S.

I sit in block 18, other than last weekend I don’t think it works that well. The front handful of rows sit even though it’s standing and they can barely be heard. They (as we all did) set the bar high last weekend. More of that please.

The guides are great, unfortunately at my age I do find the high pitched noise a bit uncomfortable, but that’s fine, it’s one night and they are enjoying themselves.
That being said I’d happily move for a game if they want to put them all in a handful of blocks to sit them together.
I guess it depends on your definition of success. For me they start the chanting to get the crowd going (and I sit the opposite end of them) and sustain it when everyone else has switched off. Plus it’s far easier to get new chants going as they are all together. Such a shift from the traditional “let’s go devils let’s go” and I’m one of the 1986 crowd. We used to have a “we come from the place where the grass is green” song but that was about it. Far more creativity (and comedy) comes from these folks.
Perhaps I’m a bit biased as I sat with them in Grenoble for the first time and saw the one guy pretty much lose his voice before passing the chanting off to someone else and so on. Impressive stuff.

MA18

I guess it depends on your definition of success. For me they start the chanting to get the crowd going (and I sit the opposite end of them) and sustain it when everyone else has switched off. Plus it’s far easier to get new chants going as they are all together. Such a shift from the traditional “let’s go devils let’s go” and I’m one of the 1986 crowd. We used to have a “we come from the place where the grass is green” song but that was about it. Far more creativity (and comedy) comes from these folks.
Perhaps I’m a bit biased as I sat with them in Grenoble for the first time and saw the one guy pretty much lose his voice before passing the chanting off to someone else and so on. Impressive stuff.
Given it’s a standing block I’d expect that to be the minimum which most of the time isn’t achieved.

It works well enough I suppose, great energy last weekend, back to normal last night.

Probably the acoustics of the building but from where we sit you can’t make out a word of what’s being sung but it’s nice to get some noise from there.

BostonBart22

back to his usual style zero contact because he knows phelan,Allen,McKay and Brittain were on the roster and he didn't throw one hit.
I did notice last few minutes alderson was getting checked pillar to post in front of net by allen, but no reaction from him, just give him a cross check back ffs just to show you cant do what you want in our barn and get away with it...