Devils Vs Stars - League - 4th March 23 - 19:00 FO

Swarley

I didn't see the game last night, but just watched the Dupont interview. Firstly, every time I hear him speak, he sounds like he's having a panic attack. Secondly, all of the problems he points out like they're something new (bad passing, powerplay, shooting at the chest) are exactly what the team has been doing all season. He must know he's on borrowed time.
I've gave up on our pp about a month into our season, any time we have one I spend that time looking on twitter because I know I have exactly 2 minutes spare to look at other stuff because all they do is cycle the puck for 1.50 of the pp and then get put on the back foot when the last pass goes wrong.

The shooting at the chest only ever works when you have a big body in front of the goalie screening him otherwise you're just gifting the goalie save stats making them look better than they are.

BostonBart22

Truly awful. Dupont has to go. I can almost hear his post game interview now... "we started slow, I thought our powerplay was good".
A completely disorganised team. How many versions of our first line did we see tonight? Coughler, Waller, Crandall all appeared on the first line at one point. A time out in the first period is a new one. Duggan taking a fight to get something going.... all in the first period. If a team aren't up for it in the first period then you have to look at the coaching. The powerplay was awful again and you teach kids in any sport that you are most vulnerable when you've just scored so you do the basics.... win the face off, clear the zone and keep the puck out of your zone. Nope. Not us.
Again Josh Batch was woeful. 6ft something guy over 100kgs loses out in a battle in the corner with 4ft something 65kg Sanche. Embarrassing.
Dupont has to go.
And he got dumped on his butt in the game by a smaller guy.

BostonBart22

Is it possible to have 2 brit netties, that preece was awesome last night and has been in all games I've seen him, we could get an extra skating import then. Preferably frazer, again a stars player..just saying

Finny

Only caught the final period, which we seemed to start slowly and Dundee looked the more dangerous.
Poor passing and decision making meant we couldn’t get control of the puck for more than seconds at a time.

Gradually this improved and with ten minutes remaining we started to dominate. Eventually our pressure told and with just over five minutes remaining we got the goal we deserved.

I admit that I thought “ well that should be that“ and it looks like some of the players did too as we switched off and let them equalise almost straight away.
Our heads seemed to drop as if they were thinking “well this is going to OT” but before we knew it we were behind again!

Must admit I thought DuPont pulled Bowns early but it worked and we got the goal. OT was crazy with no 3-on-3 hockey and both sides having a PP. Bowns in particular kept us in it with some huge saves, allowing Crawford and Brittain to win it on penalty shots.

I only watched 25 minutes but it was a good example of our season. Great at times but we lose focus too often and when we do it costs us. On our day we are as good as anyone but whereas Belfast seem to be at that level every game we only seem to be at it every game.

And it needs to be said that we had issues like this in Lord’s first two years. We could beat anyone on any given night but then not follow it up with the seemingly easier next game. I think there was one point where we had a stunning 3 points from 4 in Belfast, then followed it up the following weekend with a huge defeat in……. Edinburgh.

Im not saying that DuPont is going to be as successful as Lord, but for a guy who is in his first full season of coaching and having to rebuild the team I’m not sure I expected much less than where we are now?

Finny

Is it possible to have 2 brit netties, that preece was awesome last night and has been in all games I've seen him, we could get an extra skating import then. Preferably frazer, again a stars player..just saying
I agree. I’ve not seen much of Preece but he seems to be improving and didn’t look out of place last night.

Bowns isn’t going to be around forever. Both he and Richie have potentially only got a couple more seasons left in them at the top level and we need to start planning for that.

I know this might upset the Kozun fans but I’d be very tempted to go with a Bowns -Preece partnership next year. Give Preece the CC games and see what he can do. With the hope that over the following years we get a 50/50 partnership.

Wannabe2

We were far from being very good last night, although I enjoyed the game, but let’s give Dundee a bit of credit here, firstly they shouldn’t be in the standings where they are although they have games in hand. Dundee have given the top teams a scare this year, they lost a ot game v Panthers, they beat Steelers in Sheffield, they lost twice to Giants one a shoot out in Belfast, and one a ot loss, and beat us once and lost to us in a pen shootout. Yes I am bias, as Stars are my 2nd favourite team.

Would love to see Flames win the league, think it would be good for the league, but the Giants are the team to beat, and are hot favourites for the triple.
Flames got two in hand tho so if they win up to them games and maybe they woll win games in hand its game on Prefer flames than giants to win it

august04 2.0

Only caught the final period, which we seemed to start slowly and Dundee looked the more dangerous.
Poor passing and decision making meant we couldn’t get control of the puck for more than seconds at a time.

Gradually this improved and with ten minutes remaining we started to dominate. Eventually our pressure told and with just over five minutes remaining we got the goal we deserved.

I admit that I thought “ well that should be that“ and it looks like some of the players did too as we switched off and let them equalise almost straight away.
Our heads seemed to drop as if they were thinking “well this is going to OT” but before we knew it we were behind again!

Must admit I thought DuPont pulled Bowns early but it worked and we got the goal. OT was crazy with no 3-on-3 hockey and both sides having a PP. Bowns in particular kept us in it with some huge saves, allowing Crawford and Brittain to win it on penalty shots.

I only watched 25 minutes but it was a good example of our season. Great at times but we lose focus too often and when we do it costs us. On our day we are as good as anyone but whereas Belfast seem to be at that level every game we only seem to be at it every game.

And it needs to be said that we had issues like this in Lord’s first two years. We could beat anyone on any given night but then not follow it up with the seemingly easier next game. I think there was one point where we had a stunning 3 points from 4 in Belfast, then followed it up the following weekend with a huge defeat in……. Edinburgh.

Im not saying that DuPont is going to be as successful as Lord, but for a guy who is in his first full season of coaching and having to rebuild the team I’m not sure I expected much less than where we are now?
I’d never compare this team with the team of 2014/15, Lord’s first year. They didn’t lose many after a uncertain start to the season and played some of the most entertaining hockey I’ve ever seen from a Devils team. And played the Devils way, stood for no nonsense from anyone. This lot couldn’t hold a candle to that team, nor DuPont to Andrew Lord.

moggy#9

I agree. I’ve not seen much of Preece but he seems to be improving and didn’t look out of place last night.

Bowns isn’t going to be around forever. Both he and Richie have potentially only got a couple more seasons left in them at the top level and we need to start planning for that.

I know this might upset the Kozun fans but I’d be very tempted to go with a Bowns -Preece partnership next year. Give Preece the CC games and see what he can do. With the hope that over the following years we get a 50/50 partnership.
Whilst I agree from what I've seen of preece he has a lot of potential, at the moment both he and bowns (and kozun for that matter) are just second tier keepers. If we have either of them we need a top tier keeper of the standard of carruth or besky. That type of keeper gives us a chance to win every game, no matter how badly the rest of the team plays.

kettdevil1

Preece played in Cardiff as back up at some point in the past. I’m sure someone on here could nail it?
It’s not listed on Eliteprospects but the site is not 100% accurate so if it happened my guess would be when he was with the under-18s, before he went to North America.

He has been excellent every time I have seen him so given we took a gamble with Bowns a few years ago and that worked out OK, I wouldn’t be against having him back.

Will be fascinating to see if he plays in their game tonight, he should surely?

august04 2.0

Whilst I agree from what I've seen of preece he has a lot of potential, at the moment both he and bowns (and kozun for that matter) are just second tier keepers. If we have either of them we need a top tier keeper of the standard of carruth or besky. That type of keeper gives us a chance to win every game, no matter how badly the rest of the team plays.
Agreed. A tandem of Bowns and Preece is simply not good enough if you want to be challenging for EIHL championships. One or the other as back up, but we need a stud starter next year. Bowns isn’t going anywhere either. Let Preece continue his development, see where he is in a couple of years time, as Bowns approaches the end of his career. I like Kozun but I think we'll see Bowns partnering with a better goalie next season. That isn’t Preece at this stage In his career.

The_Stick_

It’s important to note however that Brython Preece isn’t some young guy anymore. He turns 26 this year. He was excellent last night, but it would be an absolutely awful move to run a Bowns-Preece tandem