Devils Vs steelers - League - 5th Jan 23 19:00 FO

E.D.S.

Ordinarily I’d agree with you on the principle of keeping the puck away from danger but my honest take is much of Devils problems has come from the zone exits up the walls and the wingers not having good control of the point defencemen. Devils get turned over a lot on the walls and the breakout loses speed. Last night the puck stayed off the walls and in the middle and Devils were able to fly the zone much quicker and split Steelers D on multiple occasions. So whilst high risk playing more hockey through the slot in the defensive zone I think it plays better to Devils strengths to look for quick head man passes and stretch the ice. I think more scoring chances were generated playing that way than were conceded. Joey could have had two in about the first 10 minutes.

I think this is a huge point and something that really impacts Crandalls productivity. Last season, Crandall owned this league. He was untouchable. Visionary and the heart beat of much of what we did. I see Crandall receiving the puck on the red line with his head down, facing the boards - trying to assist a dump and chase into the O Zone or trying to dig the puck out with a D man right up his backside. This season hasn't really kicked off for Crandall yet and i do think this is a big factor. Joey and Sanford were experiencing this last night and many nights prior. Kozun helped remove this by playing the puck more quickly so our offensive guys aren't picked up but where Crandall would usually pick up the puck mid ice and create things, he's now head down digging out a puck on the half way line. This play on the walls is stifling some of the more creative players in my view. I love Crandall. I think he can be head and shoulders above anyone in this league but this season he hasn't influenced games like he did last season and this is a big reason why for me.

Passing through the slot for the magic pass gives me kittens. Moggy is right with Steelers jumping on this so quickly it created unnecessary turnovers where a bit of patience would be better

Ejercito Rojas

Absolutely loving how this thread is developing into a more high brow discussion of DuPont’s tactics and the Devil’s execution of the higher risk and reward game plan, although we did look to be over-stretching the play at times.
Makes a nice change from the usual "we should shoot more often" mantra!
A breath of fresh air after a great team performance and well deserved win.

Last edited:

TL91

Another great performance from Kozun. Do wonder what way DuPont was going to go if Bowns was fit. Kozun deserved the start but wonder if Bowns was in his thinking.

moggy#9

Another great performance from Kozun. Do wonder what way DuPont was going to go if Bowns was fit. Kozun deserved the start but wonder if Bowns was in his thinking.
That's an interesting question. The one that interests me though is how whichever goalie is playing affects the play and decision making of the team. Clearly there's a great deal of confidence in kozun.

TL91

That's an interesting question. The one that interests me though is how whichever goalie is playing affects the play and decision making of the team. Clearly there's a great deal of confidence in kozun.
Very true. Same in any sport, if you have confidence in your teammates you can focus on your own job, not one eye on covering someone else. Not bashing Bownsy at all btw; there comes a time where he has to play. Assume he’d get a game at least in the continental and if he is fit on the weekend would DuPont go for him? But then last time we were up there it was a tight game and a SO win which Kozy was a key part of. Oh to be a coach!

I think this is a huge point and something that really impacts Crandalls productivity. Last season, Crandall owned this league. He was untouchable. Visionary and the heart beat of much of what we did. I see Crandall receiving the puck on the red line with his head down, facing the boards - trying to assist a dump and chase into the O Zone or trying to dig the puck out with a D man right up his backside. This season hasn't really kicked off for Crandall yet and i do think this is a big factor. Joey and Sanford were experiencing this last night and many nights prior. Kozun helped remove this by playing the puck more quickly so our offensive guys aren't picked up but where Crandall would usually pick up the puck mid ice and create things, he's now head down digging out a puck on the half way line. This play on the walls is stifling some of the more creative players in my view. I love Crandall. I think he can be head and shoulders above anyone in this league but this season he hasn't influenced games like he did last season and this is a big reason why for me.

Passing through the slot for the magic pass gives me kittens. Moggy is right with Steelers jumping on this so quickly it created unnecessary turnovers where a bit of patience would be better
I think we are missing a trick and using him more on the blue line.His game awareness for counter attacking would be perfect for quick break out passess.Then use herrman on Reid and penny line until jardine returns.Just my take on it be perfect because he getting know where with Reid and penny as his line mates.

fridaysfingers

I think we are missing a trick and using him more on the blue line.His game awareness for counter attacking would be perfect for quick break out passess.Then use herrman on Reid and penny line until jardine returns.Just my take on it be perfect because he getting know where with Reid and penny as his line mates.
That would be a no from me, only because I don’t believe Herrman should be anywhere near that line. At best he is an infill for a forth line position.
He would need to play more time on ice in one game than he has since he’s been here and there’s a reason for that

Mooney#16

It’s an interesting proposition mind if Devils got further injuries on D. I think Brandt is more than capable of playing up on to that line with Hermann taking his slot on the fourth. Not singling Crandall out mind. Only that he has played D before in that role last season.

E.D.S.

do you mean use him as a D man? I agree his reading of the game is superb but I do think his value comes from being further up the ice. Being on a line with Penny (a defensive forward) and Reid who isn’t particularly mobile isn’t going to help in term of creating chances.

Last edited:

moggy#9

So

do you mean use him as a D man? I agree his reading of the game is superb but I do think his value comes from being further up the ice. Being on a line with Penny (a defensive forward) and Reid who isn’t particularly mobile isn’t going to help in term of creating chances.
For me there's a massive difference between playing a forward on the point on the pp, where it's all about vision and distribution, and in 5 on 5 play. Playing D is about positioning, reading attackers intent and being able to out muscle them. As predominantly a play maker, I think Crandall would struggle to do those things at this level.

So

Yeah use him as d man for now , I think herrman or other 4 line boys need move up the line .Or Waller I think he in limbo when he was with coughler and Crandall that line seemed to click .I just don't see Reid,penny and Crandall scoring on 5-5 very soon.Crandall talents are wasted at the moment

lloyd_jeff

Kozun is a no brainer, Bowns wasn’t signed on his performance & that is now showing to be a poor decision.

moggy#9

Kozun is a no brainer, Bowns wasn’t signed on his performance & that is now showing to be a poor decision.
I have to agree. Bownsy has a reputation for spectacular saves, but the top goalies in the league now tend to be so technically good that they don't have to be spectacular. Murphy and adey commented several times in the Sheffield game how good the rebound control was. For my money kozun is indisputably the number one, and the biggest concern would have to be him getting burnt out or injured.

Kevlar68

I know allot of us were talking about tandem netminders being alternated but I think having a constant No.1 nettie has improved our performance and kozun has great vision on how to use or keep the puck.

lloyd_jeff

I know allot of us were talking about tandem netminders being alternated but I think having a constant No.1 nettie has improved our performance and kozun has great vision on how to use or keep the puck.
Rubbish, what has improved our performance is better netminding & club realisation that players needed to improve because the fans are getting vocal.

Kevlar68

So I say it helps having kozun as a constant No.1 has improved our performance and you say "rubbish" it's better net minding has improved our performance, do you actually read other people's posts?

lloyd_jeff

So I say it helps having kozun as a constant No.1 has improved our performance and you say "rubbish" it's better net minding has improved our performance, do you actually read other people's posts?
You stated Kozun being constant has improved our performance, l stated better netminding has, go back read some of the comments people are making about how Kozun plays compared to Bowns, player confidence etc. Simply stating having a number 1 rather than tandem has improved our performance is ridiculous.