Devils Vs steelers - Pre-Season - 17th Sept 23 - FO 18:00

Welshy74

Didn't a Steeler then throw the cup back in to the crowd, with the cup on the end of their stick, at a group of female fans? Not wishing to cause trouble or condone the actions of a fan who threw a drink but I'm sure I saw I cup get thrown back in.
Didn't see that tbh and I was literally feet away. Sure he just threw the contents and not the cup. Hopefully that was a one off

E.D.S.

I see the weird obsession of screen-shotting posts on here for twitter has returned already:

I’m guessing Mark won’t mind me replying to him on here, but I tend to agree with Moggy. It’s an unnecessary, dangerous and reckless hit. He lifts his body to make the hit (one leg leaves the ice) and puts an arm on Barrow’s back forcing his head further down. It ends up driving Barrow’s head into the plexi, causing injury.

Regular season that’s a minimum 1 game ban for me and then it’s up to DOPS random number generator to decide if it’s any more.

Congrats @moggy#9 you've made it to Twitter. A proud day for you I'm sure.
Just embarrassing that people need to do that. Come on here and debate. Keep it sensible and light hearted and help build the inferno community. Posting on Twitter is just pathetic. They are the classic people who post a picture of themselves outside a Doctors or hospital waiting for the attention.

Last edited:

moggy#9

Congrats @moggy#9 you've made it to Twitter. A proud day for you I'm sure.
Just embarrassing that people need to do that. Come on her and debate. Keep it sensible and light hearted and help build the inferno community. Posting on Twitter is just pathetic. They are the classic people who post a picture of themselves outside a Doctors or hospital waiting for the attention.
I made an analogy t recently if the inferno being like Gretzky's at the wnir, and twitter being like the drunks in Caroline Street.

E.D.S.

Didn't see that tbh and I was literally feet away. Sure he just threw the contents and not the cup. Hopefully that was a one off
Yeah. He seemed to scoop the cup up and it went towards three ladies sat down near the away bench. Regardless, not great behaviour from our fans.

Ocko

When you look at who was coaching last season, none of the players really had a chance to get into form and prove themselves because they either got benched for 7 games with no real reason behind it or they got away with being sub par all season long because they knew the coach would still ice them.

I dare say this season Lou could really open alot of people's eyes as lordo is a coach who knows how to get the best out of the players, Dupont barely knew how to do drills.
Same Lordo that healthy scratched Louis a number of times when he was with the Devils?

Ocko

So it’s gone from Batch should’ve done something about the hit, to Batch now having a bad game. Interested to see a breakdown of why he had such a bad game, other than the obvious expectation of him needing to jump the bench and murder Steelers #6 as he was being thrown out (and get his 6363748 game ban).

Why do you always need a scapegoat? Batch had a decent game. Nothing flashy but was good enough. He couldn’t have done anything about the hit, he was off the ice. Should he have jumped on and given the Sheffield player a second fight? Formed a queue maybe? Of course not. But this is from people who’ve never been near a contact game.

Regardless of what tough guy we had the Sheffield player was still making that play. Brandt fought him immediately and he got thrown out, justice served - carry on with the game. Should players (Batch in everyone’s eyes) start going out and injuring people?

And are we really going to get the whole “if Louis was here this wouldn’t have happened” all season? Because it would’ve, and did, many things times over the past few years.

moggy#9

So it’s gone from Batch should’ve done something about the hit, to Batch now having a bad game. Interested to see a breakdown of why he had such a bad game, other than the obvious expectation of him needing to jump the bench and murder Steelers #6 as he was being thrown out (and get his 6363748 game ban).

Why do you always need a scapegoat? Batch had a decent game. Nothing flashy but was good enough. He couldn’t have done anything about the hit, he was off the ice. Should he have jumped on and given the Sheffield player a second fight? Formed a queue maybe? Of course not. But this is from people who’ve never been near a contact game.

Regardless of what tough guy we had the Sheffield player was still making that play. Brandt fought him immediately and he got thrown out, justice served - carry on with the game. Should players (Batch in everyone’s eyes) start going out and injuring people?

And are we really going to get the whole “if Louis was here this wouldn’t have happened” all season? Because it would’ve, and did, many things times over the past few years.
My issue with batch in that game was clearly being at fault with one Sheffield goal. Aside from that, as I mentioned earlier, he seemed be targeted for pressure as the Steelers seemed to see him as the weak link.

As one of the few big bodies on the team, I think a lot of people here expect him to use that size more effectively. Not necessarily dropping the gloves at every opportunity, but certainly playing the man.

E.D.S.

We saw that game very differently. At fault for a goal, little on ice presence, exited the zone poorly. I don’t need him to jump the boards and get banned but I do expect a big guy to be more physical and make a statement when it’s needed. None of those require bans or stupidity

Ocko

My issue with batch in that game was clearly being at fault with one Sheffield goal. Aside from that, as I mentioned earlier, he seemed be targeted for pressure as the Steelers seemed to see him as the weak link.

As one of the few big bodies on the team, I think a lot of people here expect him to use that size more effectively. Not necessarily dropping the gloves at every opportunity, but certainly playing the man.
With two massive net minding mistakes like goals 2 and 3 for Steelers you can’t possibly put the blame on the D man. He had to defend an open net on one goal and the other he got a stick on the shot but the NM let it trickle between his legs.

august04 2.0

Batch is not really going to do anything about the hit after the event and will never be the physical presence that this team is crying out for. It’s not in his nature and you can’t force it and make him do it. For me, it keeps him in a job next year if he takes on that role but it’s just not him. I didn’t think he was great last night and I thought he should have taken the body before the shot was away that went through Booth, or at least made it more difficult to get a clean shot away, but he's a 6th D man and a British one at that. It’s a little unfair to expect more than that from him. There’s not that many better options around in that role.

BostonBart22

Yeah. He seemed to scoop the cup up and it went towards three ladies sat down near the away bench. Regardless, not great behaviour from our fans.
I dont think it was a cup, it was a steeler player scooping up a load of ice on his stick and tossed into the fans, i believe the lady complained but it will come to nothing...

BostonBart22

If the hit is reviewed by DOPS which it should be, it needs to be addressed with at least a 4 game ban charging, boarding and deliberate attempt to injure, cheap shots like that needs to be nipped in the bud, no ifs and buts, but wait its sheffield ...

E.D.S.

That’s good news. I honestly didn’t think it looked that bad and thought he was trying to buy a bigger penalty but when you watch the replay and you see his head being driven into the boards, it’s reckless.

E.D.S.

Taking the conversation away from Batch.... I think there's a few that need a big start to the season. Duggan, Waller, Crandall are under the spotlight for me. Waller for different reasons, in the sense he needs to work on his end product but I see Crandall and Duggan needing to prove themselves.

Well we never tonight, and when we have 3/4 out with concussion etc, we can always say well we will punish you some day, we are desperate for a deterrent, Belfast, Glasgow, Dundee, and Steelers to mention a few are tougher than us, and that’s no dig at Brandt. We are in a situation where our skilled players have next to no protection, and tonight was a pure example of that, we have 5ft odd players trying to fight 6ft 3/4in players, and 6ft 3/4 inch players performing like one of the 7 dwarfs. Cardiff ain’t about being run over by whoever they are playing, Cardiff are about you want to take liberties at our gaff, think again brother. Yes it’s pre season we all know that but teams are thinking we raise our physical game and that lot in Cardiff won’t answer the bell, we lost more than a game tonight, for me and for many others, and that’s a great shame. We have a tremendous club, with the best owners ever, a G M that’s 2nd to none, fans that only want the best for the club, and a coach every other team wold love to have, but things ain’t right at the moment we are 3-1 up at home and give away 3 unanswerable goals and that’s unforgivable sorry to say. Sorry for the rant some times it’s easier if you don’t give a toss, because it ain’t easy when you care.
Sorry Wannabe, don't count Belfast in the list as having any toughness....Devils played with more of a physical edge both games,,