Devils Vs steelers - Pre-Season - 17th Sept 23 - FO 18:00

moggy#9

Taking the conversation away from Batch.... I think there's a few that need a big start to the season. Duggan, Waller, Crandall are under the spotlight for me. Waller for different reasons, in the sense he needs to work on his end product but I see Crandall and Duggan needing to prove themselves.
I feel that on a line with Busch and barrow Waller has everything he needs to succeed. What worries me though is that he seems a bit lightweight. That said, his speed and stick skills continue to improve. I see duggan evolving into a speciality player, like ben davies.

With crandall, I don't know what to think. He's not been terrible in preseason, but neither does he look like the spark for ully and arniel.

ASHIPP

Ryan Barrow has acquired points in every pre-season game and a shoe-in on the pp. He
already has shown he is a clever under-the-radar signing.
Whilst he has good chemistry with Busch, just wonder how effective Arniel and Ully would be/could be if partnered with Barrow.

Taking the conversation away from Batch.... I think there's a few that need a big start to the season. Duggan, Waller, Crandall are under the spotlight for me. Waller for different reasons, in the sense he needs to work on his end product but I see Crandall and Duggan needing to prove themselves.
Spot on batch, Crandall,duggan and Waller need to improve fast huge season for them all .I haven't been impressed with any of them in preseason.Also young harewood should be given the chance next year to step up and earn a spot .

TL91

Spot on batch, Crandall,duggan and Waller need to improve fast huge season for them all .I haven't been impressed with any of them in preseason.Also young harewood should be given the chance next year to step up and earn a spot .
Don’t get the the Crandall is getting - I know he had a poor season last season but the games I’ve seen so far (admittedly not all of them) he’s been a solid 6.5-7/10. Always seems to pick a pass out that isn’t on. Give it another month or so - completely new guys and line for him. Think he’ll be a big player for us this year.

moggy#9

Don’t get the the Crandall is getting - I know he had a poor season last season but the games I’ve seen so far (admittedly not all of them) he’s been a solid 6.5-7/10. Always seems to pick a pass out that isn’t on. Give it another month or so - completely new guys and line for him. Think he’ll be a big player for us this year.
6.5 - 7 for a top 6 forward? I'd have expected him to be a bit better than that, particularly with arniel and ully doing so much to make him look good. They're on a completely unfamiliar team, but they've been looking good since day one.

On form so far barrow deserves to be top 6, not Crandall.

TL91

6.5 - 7 for a top 6 forward? I'd have expected him to be a bit better than that, particularly with arniel and ully doing so much to make him look good. They're on a completely unfamiliar team, but they've been looking good since day one.

On form so far barrow deserves to be top 6, not Crandall.
Just to flip it on its head - what’s to say he isn’t making Arniel and Ully look good? He’s got to be doing something right on that line for them to be working out. I just think like many others have said, give it till end of October then we’ll really know where everyone is at. Not saying we can’t critique performances now but I do tend to agree with another poster; we do seem to always need/want a scapegoat.

moggy#9

Just to flip it on its head - what’s to say he isn’t making Arniel and Ully look good? He’s got to be doing something right on that line for them to be working out. I just think like many others have said, give it till end of October then we’ll really know where everyone is at. Not saying we can’t critique performances now but I do tend to agree with another poster; we do seem to always need/want a scapegoat.
That's a fair comment, though I can't recall many plays where I thought Crandall made it. I can remember a lot more individual skill from his line mates.

Given his self admitted bad season last year, I'd expected him to come storming out of the gate, but I've just not seen it. As you say, he's not been terrible, but I think we could have done better.

I felt at the outset that Crandall coming back was a mistake. I guess we'll see, as we know that he won't be going anywhere.

If he starts looking brilliant I'll be happy to admit to being wrong, as I have about bowns' excellent performances so far this season.

TL91

That's a fair comment, though I can't recall many plays where I thought Crandall made it. I can remember a lot more individual skill from his line mates.

Given his self admitted bad season last year, I'd expected him to come storming out of the gate, but I've just not seen it. As you say, he's not been terrible, but I think we could have done better.

I felt at the outset that Crandall coming back was a mistake. I guess we'll see, as we know that he won't be going anywhere.

If he starts looking brilliant I'll be happy to admit to being wrong, as I have about bowns' excellent performances so far this season.
Don’t disagree…just feel sometimes we need to look wider at the play that started the play, if you get me? It’s not always the goal and 2A’s but a pass which maybe creates that goal scoring situation. Don’t get me wrong it’s hard to do so watching live as it’s fast paced but that’s what the video is for with the coaches. Guess main thing is they are happy that the player is carrying out the role expected of them!

moggy#9

Don’t disagree…just feel sometimes we need to look wider at the play that started the play, if you get me? It’s not always the goal and 2A’s but a pass which maybe creates that goal scoring situation. Don’t get me wrong it’s hard to do so watching live as it’s fast paced but that’s what the video is for with the coaches. Guess main thing is they are happy that the player is carrying out the role expected of them!
I can't disagree with any of that.

I'd also look at Crandall's 200ft game. Being a top 6 forward isn't just about putting points on the board but being defensively responsible enough to play against the other teams top 6. For me, he looks massively improved here, picking up guys and backchecking with a purpose when we've lost the puck. Personally, I've been pleased with what I've seen so far.

ASHIPP

Forwards don't just score goals in the modern game. They are expected to be able to create chances, offer a supporting role in passing, forechecking for others as well as be defensively responsible. Some of our past players are great examples of that....Matzka, Morissette, Haddad, Culligan.

Best example of the 200ft all round game, of course, is Joey Martin. Hopefully, he's the bar Crandall should be aiming for.

Gavevs88

Didn't see the game as I'm on holiday. But it sounds like the majority all agree Batch is yet again a waste of a pair of skates this season again so far??