Devils Vs Storm - 21st Oct 23 - League - FO 19:00

Devils86

Thought Bowns deserved a SO tonight, an awful line change right at the end of a PK cost him that. Must say I have been impressed with his form and cutting out the silly breaks in concentration this early season. PK did well against a really well drilled Storm PP, quick movement and knowing where each other would be - but they wore off as the game continued.

Personally was not a fan of Crandall on D - much prefer Chad there but presume he too has picked up an injury.

Sanford had a wonderful chance to get his first league goal but fluffed his lines at the end of a lovely piece of individual skill. Martin is in a rut ATM and Cox still seems to favour pass-first even when taking the shot may have been the better option. Arniel goal was a good example I think of Barrow taking a shot, but playing the numbers by shooting to an area where any rebound would have been poked home.

Alderson again getting his goal and this time not the one-timer but going to net - will he miss tomorrow though for the kneeing call? Would be 2 games as a repeat offender if DOPS do call it - however for me it was dealt with by the 2 mins and didn't need additional/supplementary discipline.

4th line impressed, as ever.

Couple random points:
- Ullet (14) for Storm, bit of a dud night for him with silly penalty and could easily have had more - but, great hit on Cody and glad to see Brandt making him answer for it. We didn't seem to hit anything tonight, which was a shame.
- I like the megaphone, but tonight it needed to be 'passed on to someone else' IMO
- And finally, I was comforted to see that EIHL officials have still got the 'random, completely insane' call up their sleeves. I was worried that we have had some decent officials over the last couple of weeks. Icing call given for a lift hoof by Sanford (would have been incing) but it was going dead centre, so the Storm NM (Weiner something) would have had to play it (and did, so it didn't cross the line but by then the call had been made), but even if not Cox was chasing it down in front of the D - mental.

Will leave it there for tonight, but just to say WE LOVE BIG BUSCH!

Rempel16

Thought Bowns deserved a SO tonight, an awful line change right at the end of a PK cost him that. Must say I have been impressed with his form and cutting out the silly breaks in concentration this early season. PK did well against a really well drilled Storm PP, quick movement and knowing where each other would be - but they wore off as the game continued.

Personally was not a fan of Crandall on D - much prefer Chad there but presume he too has picked up an injury.

Sanford had a wonderful chance to get his first league goal but fluffed his lines at the end of a lovely piece of individual skill. Martin is in a rut ATM and Cox still seems to favour pass-first even when taking the shot may have been the better option. Arniel goal was a good example I think of Barrow taking a shot, but playing the numbers by shooting to an area where any rebound would have been poked home.

Alderson again getting his goal and this time not the one-timer but going to net - will he miss tomorrow though for the kneeing call? Would be 2 games as a repeat offender if DOPS do call it - however for me it was dealt with by the 2 mins and didn't need additional/supplementary discipline.

4th line impressed, as ever.

Couple random points:
- Ullet (14) for Storm, bit of a dud night for him with silly penalty and could easily have had more - but, great hit on Cody and glad to see Brandt making him answer for it. We didn't seem to hit anything tonight, which was a shame.
- I like the megaphone, but tonight it needed to be 'passed on to someone else' IMO
- And finally, I was comforted to see that EIHL officials have still got the 'random, completely insane' call up their sleeves. I was worried that we have had some decent officials over the last couple of weeks. Icing call given for a lift hoof by Sanford (would have been incing) but it was going dead centre, so the Storm NM (Weiner something) would have had to play it (and did, so it didn't cross the line but by then the call had been made), but even if not Cox was chasing it down in front of the D - mental.

Will leave it there for tonight, but just to say WE LOVE BIG BUSCH!
A great post there, not much more to add.

The bad line change for the Storm goal only came about because Donaghey lost his helmet, not a lot could be done there, it was smart from Wenninger to see and make the quick play.

And the icing call… Cox was definitely ahead of the d-men, but he mistimed his skating and was offside. It was therefore ruled intentional resulting in the play being taken back to our zone. Unfortunate, but not an icing.

I thought the refs got everything right tonight, apart from our 3rd goal actually. I’d like to see it again but my initial thought was that Alderson was offside. But then, Storm didn’t kick up a fuss.

Diablo3

Bowns was awesome again tonight prior to their goal he stopped 3 cracking shots, the last one with his head. Not sure what's going on with Booth but there must be something amiss. For me the second period Storm upped their game and we dropped off a bit, but brought it home in the third. I hope we don't get another DOPS review for the kneeing, only given two on the ice so hopefully not.

This team have so much potential, we just need to get everyone to realise theirs

Wannabe2

Sanford was sublime tonight, he is so unbelievably talented. Bowns had a great game, Alderson looks a very good signing, we have some great players in this team.

Really enjoyed that game. There I was thinking Chad, Mosey and Batch were our 'utility' players, then Crandall plays D. He's played there before, hasn't he?! If everyone was fit right now, I would not want to be Pete Russell!

BostonBart22

The officials were happy with just the kneeling 2 mins , but they were happy with the slew footing until blaze called dops, storm may ask for review as playing us again tonight . If guilty a 2 game ban looms ..as a repeat offender. Hope not though ...regarding Booth rumours are out there but keeping out of that for now..

Finny

Very impressed with Storm. For 30ish minutes we dominated bit the Storm players gave their all to keep in the game. Their equaliser was well taken but fortunate. We cleared the zone and went for a line change without realising that last man Donahey had had his helmet ripped off him. So he had to change too and they caught us out.

After that Storm had a very good spell and if anything looked more likely to score next. That scrappy goal just before the end of the 2nd was huge for us.
Early in the third Sanford gets past the D, rounds the netminder but is tripped over. No call. Seconds later we attack, Anderson is a good yard offside but this time the no call benefits us and we get that vital two goal lead.

Overall a very good performance and entertaining game.

voth26

Very impressed with Storm. For 30ish minutes we dominated bit the Storm players gave their all to keep in the game. Their equaliser was well taken but fortunate. We cleared the zone and went for a line change without realising that last man Donahey had had his helmet ripped off him. So he had to change too and they caught us out.

After that Storm had a very good spell and if anything looked more likely to score next. That scrappy goal just before the end of the 2nd was huge for us.
Early in the third Sanford gets past the D, rounds the netminder but is tripped over. No call. Seconds later we attack, Anderson is a good yard offside but this time the no call benefits us and we get that vital two goal lead.

Overall a very good performance and entertaining game.
For me there should have been a penalty called on storm player for ripping off Donaheys helmet,which was blatentl and right in front of the official, because Cody had to skate off leaving a massive space which then lead to storms equaliser. I think the officials should have their names on the back of their shirts again so you know whose who

Devils86

For me there should have been a penalty called on storm player for ripping off Donaheys helmet,which was blatentl and right in front of the official, because Cody had to skate off leaving a massive space which then lead to storms equaliser. I think the officials should have their names on the back of their shirts again so you know whose who
I saw this the other week, not sure if up to date...

Attachments

TL91

The officials were happy with just the kneeling 2 mins , but they were happy with the slew footing until blaze called dops, storm may ask for review as playing us again tonight . If guilty a 2 game ban looms ..as a repeat offender. Hope not though ...regarding Booth rumours are out there but keeping out of that for now..
What are the rumours? For those of us out of the loop….

Mooney#16

All very positive at the moment apart from could still do with Marty, Cox and Sanford getting the monkey off their back.

I will say the players who potentially came into the season with question marks in Batchy, Crandall and Bownsey have all stepped up and already shown this should be different seasons for them. Bownsey is rock solid at present, Crandall’s defensive responsibility and commitment are night and day to last year and Batchy for me is playing some great hockey. Especially impressed with how Batchy is pinching off his point with great effect to maintain offensive zone pressure.

Can see a real gradual increase in performance and style week on week with many players improving. Get the impression a few will break out and start to dominate games soon. Ully is my prime candidate. So crafty and working hard he’ll start racking up points quickly.

kettdevil1

All very positive at the moment apart from could still do with Marty, Cox and Sanford getting the monkey off their back.

I will say the players who potentially came into the season with question marks in Batchy, Crandall and Bownsey have all stepped up and already shown this should be different seasons for them. Bownsey is rock solid at present, Crandall’s defensive responsibility and commitment are night and day to last year and Batchy for me is playing some great hockey. Especially impressed with how Batchy is pinching off his point with great effect to maintain offensive zone pressure.

Can see a real gradual increase in performance and style week on week with many players improving. Get the impression a few will break out and start to dominate games soon. Ully is my prime candidate. So crafty and working hard he’ll start racking up points quickly.
That's a good point about Batch - I would add that the forwards are covering when he does it, which is a key difference to last season. Not sure if it happened last night but he has been used on the PK as well so.... very pleased he has started the season so strongly.

You were spot on regarding Booth although I’ve heard nothing myself.
Now he’s departed I’m sure those rumours will now surface!