Devils Vs Storm - League - 4th Nov 23 - FO 19:00

Thoughts on tonight…
great energy from everyone in light of the tragic circumstances of this week. We did the league and Adam proud.

I thought our PP was pretty good and took the opportunities when they were there.

However our breakouts from our end are shocking. No structure. The forwards sit on the blue line and wait for a long pass. No momentum going forward means it’s a D mans dream to intercept.

we are so, so soft guys. We got bullied out there and had no forecheck or physicality. Bounds got run down and no one bothered to give them a shove - although admittedly some
Players might find it difficult given what’s happened this week.

Can I also say how much I don’t rate Batch. Nothing against him as a person - but he’s such a big guy that does absolutely nothing with his body and turns the puck over so much. Storm scored from a check that he didn’t commit to.

Hope everyone had a good time tonight and as always look forward to reading everyone’s thoughts

Hedd Wyn John

The problem I see happening, is if Steelers / Panthers postponed a fair amount of games (which would be completely understandable btw), them trying to shoe horn them in will be difficult.

Especially with the arenas they play out of having other events there like concerts etc.
That's the unfortunate reality. The schedule is heavily conjested as it is. I'm sure more time between restarting would have been beneficial but for practical reasons it's just not easily done.

Wannabe2

Think tonight’s game was one that needed to be played, and under very difficult circumstances. Think from getting heads around everything was never going to be easy, tonight was not a night for physical play, but I reckon although I could be miles off the mark, I think we will return to some kind of normality after tonight’s incredible hard days night. 2 points tomorrow in a very difficult place to win will be a gods send.

Devils86

There was that really surreal moment at the end of the first when a Storm D man wrestled Sanford to the ice off the puck, nothing given, but when they fell and then separated the whole place stopped....was a collective in take of breath like someone had been hurt. Quite disconcerting.

I don't think think we can attribute a lack of physicality tonight to the recent events. We have been lackluster for a few games. ISTR Ulett nailing a great hit last time they were down and Riley had that roughing scuffle with him. But we've received some decent checks this year and not answered back - same tonight. When was the last time Riley hit anyone (not including that reverse hit last weekend)?

We haven't delivered a hit in anger since the open ice Chad hit. Now add in running Bowns and teams are starting to take liberties before everything that's gone on.

Swarley

Honestly couldn't care about the result tonight, it was about paying respects to a player and the fans having a chance to say goodbye to a member of the EIHL.

The fans, the staff, the players, everyone needed tonight and I'm probably the least emotional person people will meet but even I felt a little choked up when everyone started clapping at the 47th minute, even one of the officals knew about it and joined in.

It'll take a while for the team to move on from this but I'm fine with that because the coach knows what he needs to do.

Diablo3

Agree with the sentiment from other posters, tonight was one we had to get through, so we have a hope of carrying on with the season. The arena was quiet, the players were not putting in any hits (except Donaghey). The tributes were moving and classy (well done fans).

BostonBart22

Awful first period, which was expected, 2nd period it was all devils but couldn't score many on a hot nettie unfortunately, any other night it could've been 4...1 going into 3rd ..in that period we faded a bit and storm were well up for that period bowns would like the ulett goal back but he made some amazing saves tonight to keep us in it . Chad must play tonight, we had a few lazy players tonight and he could replace any 1 of 5 players imo. Storm will come into our barn again friday knowing they can bully us again..run on bowns, crosscheck on Sandford by garcia to name a few not one player had a word over those 2 incidents, oh and nice to see neck protectors worn by most players and officials.

Rempel16

I am all up for calling out players / the team if they don’t pull their weight.

Last night is the exception. All I hoped for was every player to come through the game unscathed. The performance and result didn’t matter.

The first one is done now, so tonight I expect the team to be back to the high levels that we have seen so far this season.

A couple of people have mentioned Bowns being run… the replay on the screen showed our d-man tripped Critchlow. Nothing he could do, hence no reaction from the Devils. He was not run.

Finny

The first game is out the way. I thought both teams found it tough but the difference was one lucky shot.

It might take some players longer than others. Interesting though that in all 4 games last night the away team won?

BostonBart22

The first game is out the way. I thought both teams found it tough but the difference was one lucky shot.

It might take some players longer than others. Interesting though that in all 4 games last night the away team won?
Storm played a lot better under the circumstances, seemed better prepared for it , maybe their prep was better than ours midweek, will see if they do well v belfast tonight.

My god I do echo the sentiment about the place going quiet after the Sanford / Garcia handbags. There really was, quite understandably, an atmosphere
Guys, what do other inferno members think about Josh Batch? I’ve not rated him for a very long time but I’d really like to take some other opinions on board. Personally I think he’s a really big lad who never uses it, doesn’t check or throw the body around and can’t stick handle/shoot. I don’t expect any players to fight - but I just don’t see any fire or passion in batch and am
Surprised we haven’t sold him yet. Apologies if anyone takes offence to this - obviously nothing against him and when I met him in Nottingham after the playoffs he was a really nice guy. I just think he’s a player we could replace.

I am all up for calling out players / the team if they don’t pull their weight.

Last night is the exception. All I hoped for was every player to come through the game unscathed. The performance and result didn’t matter.

The first one is done now, so tonight I expect the team to be back to the high levels that we have seen so far this season.

A couple of people have mentioned Bowns being run… the replay on the screen showed our d-man tripped Critchlow. Nothing he could do, hence no reaction from the Devils. He was not run.
I totally agree that it was an accident. However you’d want the boys to at least pull the shirt and give him a little shove. The rule is you never run the goalie in the crease. They don’t have to fight, but someone needs to come in and give him a shove. It’s a huge bit of psychology esp for BB, and will always get the crowd on their feet a bit.

Pembo

Important to get last night out of the way and move on. Felt fans and club did right by AJ47. Weird game for fans and players, we were muted and they were muted. Next few game results are probably going to be more about psychologically which teams can get their game heads and physicality back quickest. I feel like Storm were happier being physical than us this time around where we were hesitant. Was nice to see Dean Smith back but couple of obvious missed penalties in last period cost us big time. On another night we could have got something out of the game. Clan have a few legitimate goons so we’ll have to be prepared to respond tonight, hope Chad gets a game.

Mooney#16

With all respect the fact you refer to selling a player means you’re a bit new in this parish. No players get sold in this league.

Batchy didn’t have his best game last night along with the majority of the team so there is no reason to single him out either. Batchy has been having a really good season so far. Positionally on the money and has massively reduced his turnovers. Has stepped up for the team physically when needed and more impressively has been very good with identifying when to pinch into the offensive zone and maintain pressure. He has also been logging decent minutes but has also been the D man who has had the most changes in partner. He’s played with Ritchie, Chad, Crandall and now Mosey so that takes adaptation to understand partner instincts and patterns.

I’m not wording this to incite but I think your opinion is built on and expectation of Batchy that isn’t quite built on reality. He isn’t the player you think he is but he is a good player and I’ve had zero issue with him this year intact have been impressed by his bounce back from last season.

I would draw zero conclusions from that game last night and def not be dishing out any critique. That will have been the toughest game those players have ever participated in I’d guess and you could just tell they wanted it to end as soon as it started which is probably a big first for them. Not enjoying a game you love. They didn’t look energised, competitive and I do not blame them one bit. Hockey is a game of instinct but that was a game the players were thinking about there every move and it has a very negative effect on performance.

Well done to the team for just getting out there last night. Hopefully that is step one of the collective lifting of the cloud.

Also well done to Todd. Just getting those words out at the start of the game would have been tough and you did it very well. To the fans in attendance that was an exemplary display of respect and empathy. A terrible time for the sport in this country but Adam clearly loved this sport and it has to endure to maintain a legacy in his name.

Rempel16

I totally agree that it was an accident. However you’d want the boys to at least pull the shirt and give him a little shove. The rule is you never run the goalie in the crease. They don’t have to fight, but someone needs to come in and give him a shove. It’s a huge bit of psychology esp for BB, and will always get the crowd on their feet a bit.
Why? It was clear as day an accident and Critchlow’s first concern was checking that Bowns was ok.
I’ve no doubt there would have been a reaction if it was not clear as an accident. The team has protected the goalie very well this season. That will not have changed overnight.

BostonBart22

My god I do echo the sentiment about the place going quiet after the Sanford / Garcia handbags. There really was, quite understandably, an atmosphere
Guys, what do other inferno members think about Josh Batch? I’ve not rated him for a very long time but I’d really like to take some other opinions on board. Personally I think he’s a really big lad who never uses it, doesn’t check or throw the body around and can’t stick handle/shoot. I don’t expect any players to fight - but I just don’t see any fire or passion in batch and am
Surprised we haven’t sold him yet. Apologies if anyone takes offence to this - obviously nothing against him and when I met him in Nottingham after the playoffs he was a really nice guy. I just think he’s a player we could replace.
This season batch has improved 75% on his 25% awful season last year maybe it was other things on his mind missus having a baby, testimonial events plus dupes was the coach if you can call him that , so under PR he has stepped it up big time imo..just saying.

BostonBart22

On the other issue regarding stepping up after cheap shots and being bullied , totally agree someone should have a quiet word , ..big lou was brill at that, look at last night few skirmishes could've erupted but ehrhart of storm was always there like a flash . Just to show I'm bossing it tonight..

RedDevil17

I said it after last season and I’ll say it again - it’s time for him to leave the Devils.

Kristoff

Batch is a waste of a Brit spot and has been for the past few seasons. All I can think is that there isn't a decent enough Brit about to replace him with. Best of a bad lot?