Devils Vs Storm - League - 9th March 23 - 19:30 FO

kingmo19.1

Brittain was first on the ice at the change after that hit - skated straight past Ekman-Larsson, not so much as a glance or a harsh word, never mind anything else! I couldn’t believe it!!!
Don’t forget, this is Brittain we’re talking about so that lack of response was more than believable! (But I know what you are saying - anyone with a pair and being a team player and not an absolute fairy would have levelled him).

He should have been absolutely bollocked for that and benched. DuPont taking no action just makes it acceptable so nobody becomes accountable. What sort of team ethic and culture is that?

august04 2.0

There is fight in this team, its just he was up in the gantry to make way for the new small guy, fans are getting more and more angry and fed up with the lack of big physical hockey.
Surely Lou is injured and that’s the reason he’s been scratched of late? There's no way the new guy should start on D in front of Lou, if he’s fit. Honestly, I can’t quite understand all the fuss after signing Pietroniro - he just looks bang average to me and shouldn’t be anywhere near the Devils organisation in terms of ability.

Swarley

Surely Lou is injured and that’s the reason he’s been scratched of late? There's no way the new guy should start on D in front of Lou, if he’s fit. Honestly, I can’t quite understand all the fuss after signing Pietroniro - he just looks bang average to me and shouldn’t be anywhere near the Devils organisation in terms of ability.
From what I know Lou isn't injured he stepped aside after Brandt was benched against panthers because he knows the value Brandt brings when he's on the ice and after they scrapped by with a shoot out win and an ot win against the bottom two teams Lou was just left benched in favour of the new guy who might be decent but replacing a small guy in favour of big Lou is like putting diesel in a petrol engine and expecting it to work perfectly.

Swarley

Don’t forget, this is Brittain we’re talking about so that lack of response was more than believable! (But I know what you are saying - anyone with a pair and being a team player and not an absolute fairy would have levelled him).

He should have been absolutely bollocked for that and benched. DuPont taking no action just makes it acceptable so nobody becomes accountable. What sort of team ethic and culture is that?

This is the hockey the owners want though, soft hockey where players are in it for themselves and won't stand up for one another.

They fed us the bs of Jardine and Brittian being big guys who can get gritty.

Its near end of the season and we are all still waiting for this gritty hockey to actually happen.

Wannabe2

Wayne Gretzky would look bang average in this team.

Ekman-Larsson was the guy that made the hit on Coughler. When it all kicked off (ish) and Carter punched Crawford, Ekman-Larsson was on the ice watching the melee from afar. It was a perfect opportunity for someone else on the ice to make a beeline for him... But nope, there's no fight in this team at all.
Ah he was the D man was he - I didn't see the hit, but saw the melee in the corner and Carter with the punch. Must be one of the only times that someone has punched someone in the face, with absolutely zero retaliation.

I appreciate you can't just go fighting at every scrummage, but that was a sequence of events that needed someone to drop them. It went further downhill after that......

This is NOT the type of hockey I want to watch.
Teams used to fear coming to Cardiff because they knew that win or lose they would enter a hostile arena and play against a committed team that would stick up for each other make them pay physically and psychologically before they could get back to the sanctuary of their bus for the long ride home!

This team doesn’t need tweaking it needs dismantling!

Everyone is entitled to their opinion regrading this team and if the ownership are happy and think only a tweak is in order, well fine that’s their prerogative but I respectfully think they are wrong.
5 other ST holders near where I sit have told me they won’t be renewing and its quite likely I will make it 6!

Some may say that sounds "entitled", but I think I’m entitled to be entertained in the way I was promised in the off season with fast, physical, puck retaining, heavier hockey!
FFS, we’ve actually gone backwards in those areas, even from last season!
Maybe, that’s what Retro hockey is?

Last edited:

lloyd_jeff

When Todd was on his holiday recently the team played exactly how a Devils team used to. To me that was a message, Todd wants families, he wants soft hockey, he doesn’t want kids screaming and banging on the plexi, he wants sales, he wants corporate cash. Which is fine, it’s his business to do as he sees fit. It’s not going to change because the Devils organisation are going to need all the cash they can get just to keep afloat, which for those fans wanting tough physical hockey are going to either remain very upset or have to suck it up, it’s not going to change. The rumours are that those few businesses looking for the lease have, well, decided it’s too much of a risk financial & have walked, what is left is what was announced last night. For me that’s worse case scenario, 15yr lease, it’s going to need a miracle for 15 months, yrs, not a chance…..

Finny

Only caught the second half of the game and it was…..well …. frustrating. We had lots of puck possession but didn’t create a lot with it. Our best chance from when I turned on was the broken play which ended with Cox missing the half-empty net. After that we seemed to run out of ideas on how to break Manchester down. Brodeur was having a great game, made a couple of big saves and with his dmen collapsing in it felt like the whole net was covered.

Some have suggested the effort wasn’t there. I’d disagree with that. The effort was there, but the thought wasn’t. Too many times we tried the exact same move (Sanford one timer) to the extent that Brodeur knew it was coming and anticipated it. We same to have lost all variety on the PP. In the past we’d have a Hotham/Fournier wrist-shot from the blue line. Crawford seemed to do that earlier in the season but less so now?
Last season we had the Reid one timer but could also mix it up with Dixon diverting it in from in close. We don’t seem to have anyone doing that this year?

is that down to poor preparation from the coach or players panicking and taking the easy option? I guess only the players know.

Must admit that when Coughler was hit I was calling for the death sentence. But the replay showed that it was a pretty fair hit that sounded worse than it was. The response to Bowns getting slashed suggests the players aren’t afraid to stick up for each other when needed.

So Yeh. Very frustrating.

Will be interesting to see what lines we go with this weekend. We’ve been relying on the Martin line too much for too long. It’s fine when it’s producing the goods and saving us, but when they have a slight off-night then we’re in trouble.

Could we see big changes this weekend?

Finny

When Todd was on his holiday recently the team played exactly how a Devils team used to. To me that was a message, Todd wants families, he wants soft hockey, he doesn’t want kids screaming and banging on the plexi, he wants sales, he wants corporate cash. Which is fine, it’s his business to do as he sees fit. It’s not going to change because the Devils organisation are going to need all the cash they can get just to keep afloat, which for those fans wanting tough physical hockey are going to either remain very upset or have to suck it up, it’s not going to change. The rumours are that those few businesses looking for the lease have, well, decided it’s too much of a risk financial & have walked, what is left is what was announced last night. For me that’s worse case scenario, 15yr lease, it’s going to need a miracle for 15 months, yrs, not a chance…..
Fair play even after such a poor performance you can go off on the wrong tangent talking complete nonsense.
Todd wants soft hockey! :D:D:D

Finny

Also, I’m a bit surprised that so many people were shocked at the suggestion we will only be tweaking the roster in the summer. I’ve been fortunate that Ive missed most of the bad games and seen most of the wins, but we aren’t that far off the title race. And we’ve done well against the top teams overall.

My guess is 6 changes over the summer.