EIHL do we need a phone app

kristian

Thread starter #1
Just wondering if this has ever been throught of.
Maybe all the teams could have one aswell.
Not sure of cost ect just a throught

Kevlar68

Genuine question what would the app include that the website doesn't as I can access all through website.
I have it bookmarked so that gives me instant access the same as an app.

Kevlar68

You get scores on EIHL website on game nights as goals are scored, I've used it out in Greece.
Apps from what I have on my phone are mainly purchase apps. I don't think any are general information. Eihl don't sell anything really.

Last edited:

Diafol

We used to have one a few years ago.
IIRC it didn't really offer anything new that wasn't already on the Devils website and was quietly dropped after a few months.

Pondlife

The IceHockey24 app was great for keeping tabs on games but it’s been discontinued from Sept. Have downloaded the Flashscore app which hopefully provides the same functionality.

moggy#9

The problem is that apps need a significant investment to produce them. Otherwise you end up with a load of crap that leaks data all over the place. There are probably lots of really cool features that could be implemented, but with the small user base I can't see that it's makes economic sense.

moggy#9

...and a good wifi or mobile signal if updates needed whilst in the rink
Ah, well that's down to the poor channel management of all of the networks in the rink, poor antenna choice/setup and probably the level of backend connectivity that they have. I'm not sure that's going to get massively better without spending a considerable amount of money on it.

Just for the the record, my comment is not aimed at the management.
The building is a "faraday" building where mobile signals are hard to penetrate

moggy#9

Just for the the record, my comment is not aimed at the management.
The building is a "faraday" building where mobile signals are hard to penetrate
This is true. You'll sometimes have the same Faraday cage issues in big supermarkets. Typically that sort of building causes problems for mobile phones, but there are solutions. There are for instance small cellular transmitter/reviewer units designed specifically for indoor settings. The problem they'd have with that though would again be the back haul in order for it to work for everyone.

My point was that the WiFi (completely different frequency bands and protocols) don't work as well as it should because it's been poorly designed and set up.

Hey there. Just checking: did you find out if the EIHL created a phone app? If not, it could still be a good idea. It would make it much easier to keep track of game schedules, scores, and standings. And if each team had its own app, fans could keep track of player stats and team news. By the way, have you ever heard of automatic document scanning and OCR technology? It's a useful tool for digitizing information quickly and easily. Smart Engines (https://smartengines.com/) offers this service. You should check it out! Let us know if you have any updates on the EIHL app idea. Cheers!

Last edited:

moggy#9

Creating a mobile app would likely be a cost outlay. Particularly to do it properly and securely. Probably difficult to justify given the cost pressures that the league faces when all of the needed functionality is on the web page.

I'm well aware of OCR. I'm not sure where you're going with that though.

Sheincar

Ah, well that's down to the poor channel management of all of the networks in the rink, poor antenna choice/setup and probably the level of backend connectivity that they have. I'm not sure that's going to get massively better without spending a considerable amount of money on it.
The WiFi has been much better this season.

Sheincar

Hey there. Just checking: did you find out if the EIHL created a phone app? If not, it could still be a good idea. It would make it much easier to keep track of game schedules, scores, and standings. And if each team had its own app, fans could keep track of player stats and team news. By the way, have you ever heard of automatic document scanning and OCR technology?
Does that offer anything different to Flashscore?

matbur

If you have an Android phone just add the EIHL site link to desktop and it basically becomes an app then, with the logo etc.

Presume the same option exists on Apple.

I'd rather the league and all the clubs collectively focus more on improving transparency about various rules and providing injury updates tbh.