EIHL Officiating!

Thread starter #1
This is so bad, infact it's terrible, I would go as far to say that the officials get more wrong then right 90% of the time! :roll:

I'm quite frustrated, the number of bad calls I whitnessed tonight must be a new record!
at one point an official was standing right next to a Belfast player who punched (Miller?) in the face and he didn't even call it! thats terrible!

Why can't the league bring over some officials from the other side of the pond (one's who can tell the difference between a good hit and roughing)??

Every time I hear a bang in the rink, a penalty is called.... it seems that way atleast!

very unhappy! :cry: :cry: :cry:

Chris

Administrator
Best be careful, when I had a pop at the officials from the away Nottingham game some people got the pitchforks out ;)

Chris.

TheStub

I think the biggest problem is cost.

We get what we pay for really. We need to address it, but there doesn't seem to be much coming from the league about how they are improving the officiating, or driving recruitment.

Personally, I'd like a 2 ref system - at least they can discuss dubious calls.

Also, more public review of calls. Tell us what the central ruling is, with reference to the rules.

Oh, whilst we are at it - publish the rules and make them easy to acquire/download?

Wannabe2

God i have witnessed some shite referrying in my time, but for gods sake that abysmal trash takes the friggin biscuit. Darnell was a total disgrace to the sport tonight, if you are going to be trash then for heavens sake have the balls to be trash to both teams. This idiot can totally destroy a game singlehanded, there is being a moron, and being a moron, but this little peepsqeek is the lowest of the friggin low. If this moron got paid a tenner tonight it would be a tenner too much, total disgrace.

wildthing74

Totally agree.Twice he went to the bench to give their players a telling off naughty boy style.No do your job and make the call.
The punch on Miller was a disgrace.He and the linesman were right next to it happening and also Mcmorrow shoved one of our guys in the face(think it was Maxi).Again this was right infron of Darnell and nothing called.
When I have slagged off officals in the past you get people going on about supporting them and that they don'tget paid much blah blah.I don't care.In a game where you pay to see talented sportsmen,then if the officials cant hack it then tough.Why should we accept it and not be unhappy about as they spoil the game.
Lack of numbers means we can't really suspend them so we either stick with them as it is or try to improve them and that is down the the leagues to sort out.
Good if they organised training camps like they do with the players and pay for decent international officials to come over and work with ours guys.
I know its a job none of us can do and without them there is no game but years and years of poor officials does get very frustrating.

James

Administrator
I was annoyed Dean Smith was in the building and we had to put up with Darnells brand of make it up on the spot cruddy reffing. OK Smith isn't the best out there either but he enrages me a lot less than Darnells random choice of what to call and when. In a game where the Giants seemed to be on the PK for most of the game (certainly they were seldom full strength in the second) its surprising just how angry its possible to get with him.

What I find crazy is that Darnell tried to talk to both benches - mainly Belfast's bench about calming down etc etc - but the Belfast players obviously did not listen as they carried on playing their dirty game, throwing punches to the face (right in front of the ref), having their sticks constantly high (eg Johnson wrapping his stick around Ben's neck at one point) - but Darnell continued to call nothing but just kept chatting to the Belfast players...when was he going to realise that the were NOT LISTENING TO HIM????

I thought he missed so much out there - or more to the point, he saw plenty but did not call much - but then also called some very strange calls too...luckily we managed to get the win, but that was no thanks to Darnell to be honest. He totally failed to get to grips with the dirty tactics that Belfast brought with them...

dave

James said:
I was annoyed Dean Smith was in the building and we had to put up with Darnells brand of make it up on the spot cruddy reffing. OK Smith isn't the best out there either but he enrages me a lot less than Darnells random choice of what to call and when. In a game where the Giants seemed to be on the PK for most of the game (certainly they were seldom full strength in the second) its surprising just how angry its possible to get with him.

Dean Smith was due in Coventry last night but he had to pull out due not feeling 100% after being ill with a virus this week.....Hopefully he will be fully recovered by Sunday ;)

Finny

Good. Other than his 5 minute mad spell he is the best ref out there.

I thought I saw him when I first got into the rink last night, someone who would stand up the Giants and call all their stick work.
To say I was disappointed when Darnell came out onto the ice though would be an understatement.

James said:
Dean was seen shaking his head at darnells decisions more than once.

hanson is the best ref in the league.

its funny how every team sees refs differently, ive never heard any teams fans apart from your fine selves mention smith in a good light.

i paticularly liked darnells holding call when one of our guys blatantly tripped your guy from beind on the breakaway.

James

Administrator
Jacko said:
hanson is the best ref in the league.
Hanson and Carson are both very very good and know the rules better than anyone. The only problem is when you play Edinburgh and Hanson is reffing as he calls all sorts of odd stuff against you. The team expect it though and incorporate it into their gameplan from what I have heard :)

We never get either in the rink though as they are situated too far north. It's only really Thompson, Smith and Darnell we see. Thompson isn't too consistent but is at least about equally in error for both teams. Smith is generally very good unless he feels he is loosing control then seems to go a bit mad. Doesn't happen very often though. Darnell is just utter utter rubbish. It is vuagely amusing though out of 8 points Sheffield have, one of them was given to them by Darnell :)

ah fair play, i forgot you dont get all the refs.

we usually get in belfast
hicks
hanson
darnell and very occasionally Smith.
havent seen thompson i dont think.
and havent seen carson in belfast for a number of years.

Most giants fans would say hicks is the weakest we get, but thats cause he gave 3 dodgy decisions in the skydome a few years back (the lock out year) which effectively gifted the Blaze a league title. we dont forgive it seems :lol: