EIHL on the BBC !!

A

Anonymous

Thread starter #1
I remember as a kid watching the hockey on BBC, the likes of the Murryfield racers and Fife Flyers. Well its about time the EIHL was shown on T.V. What better way to spend a Saturday/Sunday evening in front of the box watching the Devils, especially if like me and lots of other people, you cant always get to the game, for whatever reason. I like all, pay a TV license to watch crap like "honey I shrank the kids" and "police academy 6" year in year out. Isn't it about time we had some decent sport to watch!! Think of the TV revenue and how it would help the teams, and league in general !! GET IT ON !!

Chris

Administrator
Out of interest, why would they want to cover ice hockey?

It attracts such a small following (relatively) that to me it doesn't seem to make sense to show live games.

As people keep mentioning on the THF threads, the best outcome would be some sort of highlights package, but that requires more outlay on equipment at every rink, when Edinburgh are struggling to even sign players another camera isn't going to be their main concern...

Wannabe2 is the man to ask though, he seems to know more about the Televideo issues than me.

Chris.

TheStub

This is a regular moan. The nearest we have at the moment is the Friday night slot on Sky Sports 3, which is one of the few things I am grateful to Dave Simms for :lol: At least something is out there, and I believe is a huge driving force behind getting out a show on a minuscule budget.

Wannabe2 can give a really detailed explanation of the why and why not Ice Hockey is not a regular on any of the terrestrial channels.

I would have hoped, with the inclusion of more channels on Freeview, and the digital switch over approaching (it came as a shock that Llanelli doesn't have an analogue signal any more :lol: ). I suppose the issue there is the Sky show. The TV rights for the league are something I guess they guard quite hard, and giving it to Sky then probably limits the negotiation room for other outlets.

For me, one of the big problems is the fact that matches are played during what is also prime time TV slots. We wouldn't get on in the place of Strictly Come Knitting, or Q Point (or whatever the latest opiate of the masses happens to be). But, a weekly Match of the Day type program for British Ice Hockey (something like NHL on the Fly would be nice) would be a good start.

Despair - that is where I am tbh. I want good coverage, but can't see it happening soon. :(

Gazza272

National broadcasters are also weary i believe after the BNL playoff final gained one of the worst ratings in its time slot of all time one year.

TheStub

Chris said:
It attracts such a small following (relatively) that to me it doesn't seem to make sense to show live games.
Chicken and the egg mate. Do you remember being introduced to hockey for the first time? I have that vague memory, and the wonder and excitement at my first game. It was a sport that I just enjoyed. Most people I have taken to matches (and I have arranged nights out with work, and taken friends along), and the majority have come again and again...a few have even become regulars (although they are now Hull of Squeeler fans, sorry).

TV coverage would probably help build a following - something we all could get behind.
Chris said:
As people keep mentioning on the THF threads, the best outcome would be some sort of highlights package, but that requires more outlay on equipment at every rink, when Edinburgh are struggling to even sign players another camera isn't going to be their main concern...
I agree, a highlights package would be the way forward. If it got a prime enough spot, and would act as an advertisement for the sport, clubs like the Caps would probably see it as a worthwhile investment - to help build the sport and club. Although, the Caps issue isn't one to do with lack of knowledge of ice hockey, but I think it is more a case of hockey fans choosing the local leagues rather than a team that plays mostly English clubs.

A

Anonymous

Thread starter #6
Just because its not hugely followed is no excuse as to not show it. On Christmas day you had Poirot on at 9:00pm. How many people watched that shite? As I said before, they used to show it years ago LIVE, and I bet it has more followers now than it did then! I'm not subscribing to Sky for £40 a month when I spend £180 or whatever on a T.V license. It can be shown on terrestrial t.v just like it used to be. In the meantime I will continue to sift through my excisting 80/90 channels of repeated crap! :x Thats a good point btw, shoing it on t.v would help get the sport recognised and more people would get involved. How does something get big if its not shoved in your face? Its how the world works!!

TheStub

Ok, I know I'm spamming this thread - but this time last year I had an extended period to wish for the same thing. Also, I gained a 2 a day NHL habit :lol:

So, I have this all a lot of thought. The best workable solution I came up with was an online TV station (as it were).

The Idea
The league, clubs and/or fans (or any combination thereof) come together to create an online program along the lines of NHL on the Fly. Game highlights with comments and reactions, offered free either as a video podcast (nice, as people can then subscribe) or as a streamed video.

I know lots of the teams are trying to do this with their 'team'TV "channels". But, for me a single 'program' with independent commentary (independent of the teams AND the league - we must be able to talk about the officiating) would be something that I would really like to see. Get to see what form the Blaze are in, see the latest Squeelers loss...etc.

The issues are many - cost and personnel being major amongst them. This would need to be up within a few hours of the games finishing. Digital recording would allow the footage to be sent quickly - but then there is the editing and the task of getting the pundits to sit and discuss it. But, not beyond the wit of men - and becomes easier if all the teams were on board.

We could even cycle around the country, so the pundits would change (and be partisan - be evened out over the season).

Ok, pie in the sky - but I can dream :lol:

TheStub

Oh...I missed my major point - if we have it working and a following, there is then a product to 'sell' to TV.

It is a shorter leap to get it on the TV if you are already making the program.

A

Anonymous

Thread starter #9
I see many pluses and very few minuses as to why this cant happen? Its 2010 not 1810! Its in everyones interest to do something and would help a great deal financially. If its rammed down peoples throats it will become big, just look at JLS, Take That, Deal or no deal, the list goes on.....and on.........

Gazza272

TheDevilTorn said:
Just because its not hugely followed is no excuse as to not show it. On Christmas day you had Poirot on at 9:00pm. How many people watched that *****? As I said before, they used to show it years ago LIVE, and I bet it has more followers now than it did then! I'm not subscribing to Sky for £40 a month when I spend £180 or whatever on a T.V license. It can be shown on terrestrial t.v just like it used to be. In the meantime I will continue to sift through my excisting 80/90 channels of repeated crap! :x Thats a good point btw, shoing it on t.v would help get the sport recognised and more people would get involved. How does something get big if its not shoved in your face? Its how the world works!!

Well firstly Poirot had millions of viewers on Christmas day, Secondly Ice hockey was undoubtedly more popular when ice hockey was on the BBC in the mid to late nineties, Sheffield were getting well over 7,ooo people through the door compared to getting 3000 in these days, the Devils were probably pulling in 2000 regularly also compared to the 1,500 now.

Basically with such poor organisation and an un friendly TV product we wont be seeing the EIHL on the big 5 channels anytime soon.

A

Anonymous

Thread starter #11
Gazza272 said:
TheDevilTorn said:
Just because its not hugely followed is no excuse as to not show it. On Christmas day you had Poirot on at 9:00pm. How many people watched that *****? As I said before, they used to show it years ago LIVE, and I bet it has more followers now than it did then! I'm not subscribing to Sky for £40 a month when I spend £180 or whatever on a T.V license. It can be shown on terrestrial t.v just like it used to be. In the meantime I will continue to sift through my excisting 80/90 channels of repeated crap! :x Thats a good point btw, shoing it on t.v would help get the sport recognised and more people would get involved. How does something get big if its not shoved in your face? Its how the world works!!

Well firstly Poirot had millions of viewers on Christmas day, Secondly Ice hockey was undoubtedly more popular when ice hockey was on the BBC in the mid to late nineties, Sheffield were getting well over 7,ooo people through the door compared to getting 3000 in these days, the Devils were probably pulling in 2000 regularly also compared to the 1,500 now.

Basically with such poor organisation and an un friendly TV product we wont be seeing the EIHL on the big 5 channels anytime soon.
Maybe people have lost interest AFTER it was taken off t.v. As for Poirot getting millions of viewers on Xmas day at 9pm, wherever that has come from I very much doubt. Infact I'd go as far as saying thats utter ******** ! Not being rude to you Gazza, but to ITV.

TheStub

Exactly Gazza. There is limited appeal to ice hockey, and none of the major channels are likely to pick up something that has such a risk.

You would have thought/hope that the EIHL will improve in terms of organisation - and look to improve it's channels of communications. We all complain, but it is run by the team owners - and considering that includes Neil Black and Matt Burge, there is a fair amount of business acumen around that table. We are limited by the starting point, which is niche minority sport with minimal following.

Ice Hockey isn't far ahead Sunday league football, and therefore if we want the coverage then we probably need to step up to the plate and offer to help provide it.

A

Anonymous

Thread starter #13
TheStub said:
Exactly Gazza. There is limited appeal to ice hockey, and none of the major channels are likely to pick up something that has such a risk.

You would have thought/hope that the EIHL will improve in terms of organisation - and look to improve it's channels of communications. We all complain, but it is run by the team owners - and considering that includes Neil Black and Matt Burge, there is a fair amount of business acumen around that table. We are limited by the starting point, which is niche minority sport with minimal following.

Ice Hockey isn't far ahead Sunday league football, and therefore if we want the coverage then we probably need to step up to the plate and offer to help provide it.
Who was into dancing before it was shown live on t.v? Now its huge !! Was dancing backed financially before it was shown on t.v? No. Its just excuses dude. There is no reason why it cant be televised. No reason at all. You look across your tv listings and tell me everything thats on its hugely popular. I'll name one straight away that isnt and never will be..... bloody Robot Wars? Who watches that tripe but that gets a tv slot. No excuses, get it on !!

Gazza272

TheDevilTorn said:
[

Maybe people have lost interest AFTER it was taken off t.v. As for Poirot getting millions of viewers on Xmas day at 9pm, wherever that has come from I very much doubt. Infact I'd go as far as saying thats utter B******s ! Not being rude to you Gazza, but to ITV.[/quote]

You have to consider the amount of middle aged to old people who want to watch Poirot though, there are millions of them who love a good Agatha Christie (it was her who wrote the books i think :lol: ) adaption on TV. The viewing of the country over all loves a drama over any sport.

Also there are many other factors as to why the sport has declined and i doubt TV is near the top of it. Boom and bust leagues and Teams swapping leagues and general apathy towards the drop in standard from the ISL to the EIHL.

Fact is with only 8 teams in the top flight and only half of them getting over 1,500 a game the audience just isnt there to justify the national networks investing in TV time for a sport which quite frankly looks awful on TV a lot of the time if you dont understand it :lol:

A

Anonymous

Thread starter #15
I get your point man, I do but society can make something big and popular regardless, why not Ice Hockey? Thats what the sport needs I recon. A bit of stability and recognition. Then teams wouldnt fold swap leagues etc. Just my opinion. I love it and I want it on t.v and wont rest until it is. I still doubt Poirot attracted millions of viewers for an Xmas day repeat. Most the oldies would be in bed by then !! :lol:

Gazza272

TheDevilTorn said:
I get your point man, I do but society can make something big and popular regardless, why not Ice Hockey? Thats what the sport needs I recon. A bit of stability and recognition. Then teams wouldnt fold swap leagues etc. Just my opinion. I love it and I want it on t.v and wont rest until it is. I still doubt Poirot attracted millions of viewers for an Xmas day repeat. Most the oldies would be in bed by then !! :lol:

Poirot wasnt a repeat it was a new episode.

Overall Society will make things that transcend gender, age etc and Singing and dancing definatly fall under that catagory Ice skating was a bit of a weird one to have made popular but then when you have 'celebrities' doing anything its going to get some recognition. But ice hockey to the suits in charge of the TV netowrks falls wayyyyy down the list of priorities, Even sky sports make the league pay for the privilige of being shown on it.

TheStub

If you wont rest, what's the plan of action? :p

It is a chicken and the egg situation, and really we need to get some more stability, better attendance and then we can start talking to major TV - with decent commentators, it is easy to get into hockey and can be amusing even if you are trying to understand the rules. Check out Chico and the Doc on MSG Devils coverage. I can dream :lol:

I do honestly think we could create an online product that would get people excited - and something we can show to people to introduce them to the sport.

Sport is always a minority TV offering, and ice hockey is a minority sport within a minority offering - but we can try and improve things.

A

Anonymous

Thread starter #18
TheStub said:
If you wont rest, what's the plan of action? :p

It is a chicken and the egg situation, and really we need to get some more stability, better attendance and then we can start talking to major TV - with decent commentators, it is easy to get into hockey and can be amusing even if you are trying to understand the rules. Check out Chico and the Doc on MSG Devils coverage. I can dream :lol:

I do honestly think we could create an online product that would get people excited - and something we can show to people to introduce them to the sport.

Sport is always a minority TV offering, and ice hockey is a minority sport within a minority offering - but we can try and improve things.
I have submitted several Emails from various people to the BBC. Probably wont scratch the surface, but he who dares. Like I said before was dancing big before it was televised? No it wasnt, yet that gets tv coverage. During prime time too! It stands to reason if there was more coverage it would become bigger. Nothing to do with a chicken or her egg. ;)

Diafol

TheStub said:
Check out Chico and the Doc on MSG Devils coverage. I can dream :lol:/quote]

I love Doc and Chico, I had to rely on *cough* other methods *cough* of watching the NJ game last night because ESPN 360 had the FSN feed *snooze*

i would have a guess at saying espn/america dont bring in many viewers from the uk whenever a game is on or nhl on the fly. maybe its because of the times or no huge interest i dont know, but my point is if the top flight hockey league dont get much viewers then obviously a uk version will get far far less.