Elite Away Games - 3 questions

Thread starter #1
Hey. I am would like to take my children to see an away game and wondered whether you experts out there could recommend one and why. I notice that Bob the Driver appears to be the one to contact for the journey . How do you purchase the ticket ie via the arena or Bob? Completely new to "away scene" :shock:

kettdevil1

To be honest each away trip has its own advantages and disadvantages, in a vague, completely subjective order these would be my favourite trips.

1) Coventry - we always take a reasonable number there and the games tend to be classics. Despite the reputation it is generally a friendly place to visit (leaving aside a bit of excitement last year...) and our record at the Sponsordome is pretty good. It is also the closest away trip to Cardiff and for me it combines a good atmosphere with a decent pub and an exciting game. We are allocated the block behind the goal and generally fill that block (and occasionally another one as well)

2) Hull - strange choice perhaps for second place but Hull's "Arena" is an old style barn which allows you to be as close as you want to be to the players (indeed they traipse past you to get to the changing rooms) Despite smaller crowds than some, the atmosphere is pretty good and we generally win there. The down side is that the number of away fans can normally be counted on your fingers...

3) Nottingham - great arena, great location, lots of away fans but, only my third favourite away trip due to our overall record there and the fact that it is a little too "corporate" for me. The best facilities by far but the away block is tucked away in a corner so you sometimes feel a little bit disengaged from the action. Sitting in the front row is recommended though. I was there when Voth checked Coach Corey and I honestly thought that they would end up in my seat.

4) Sheffield - great fun if we win, dreadful if we don't.... Strangely one of the friendliest places to go to but as it is rarely half full the atmosphere is often dire, you have to listen to Simms for 3 hours and it is a long way. Still great if we win though.

5) Scottish trips - great fun, especially during double/triple headers

Haven't been to Belfast so can't comment on that trip.

Not sure how the ticket situation works with Bob but, I would recommend booking in advance for Coventry, all other places are fine on the day although Nottingham's queue's are legendary...

TheStub

Most rinks are welcoming for away fans - all the banter is just that, and I've had some of the best hockey conversation with Shuff fans queuing for the bar.

I'd say the one to do is Nottingham. It is comfortable in one day, if not the closest. The NIC is an amazing building, and the Panthers have good crowds for Devils games. Add in usually good Devils travelling support to the NIC and it makes it a great atmosphere.

Tickets are usually booked by the fans. I've never had a problem phoning and just booking seats in the away block. They will know where that is.

Bob arranges good travel, but be warned it is less formal away travel, more a big group of friends and family than traditional coach travel. Expect the journey to have as good an atmosphere as the game.

drainage

As a rule you get your own tickets although sometimes a discount can be negotiated when travelling en mass ! Recommend Bobs Tours been travelling with them for a while ....as for games for me it's Cov, Shuff and Nottingham but you can't beat the Scottish double/triple headers for the fun element!! Belfast always worth ago but it's flying or ferry and bumps up the cost

TheStub

Re: Re: Elite Away Games - 3 questions

kettdevil1 said:
2) Hull - strange choice perhaps for second place but Hull's "Arena" is an old style barn which allows you to be as close as you want to be to the players (indeed they traipse past you to get to the changing rooms) Despite smaller crowds than some, the atmosphere is pretty good and we generally win there. The down side is that the number of away fans can normally be counted on your fingers...
Hull is my favorite arena, and not just for the chip spice.

Friendly fans and staff, it is a compact building with a great feeling. I used to go there fairly regularly when I lived in Scunthorpe - and not just for Devils games.

Everyone should experience Hull, and it would be nice to pack out that away block this season.

Bob - fancy laying on a few buses? Let's invade.

Would recommend Coventry, been there a lot over the years and find we tend to have the best atmosphere when taking on the blaze. Never had any problems there, though there announcer is a bit of a pain In the behind.

kettdevil1

One of the disappointments of the fixture list is that every Hull away game is on a Sunday making it rather more difficult to get to.... I might have to do some "working from home" on a few Monday mornings.... :D

TheStub

I'm sure my in laws can put 50 of us up for the night :D

I may have to book some strategy meetings at Tata Scunthorpe for some random Mondays.

Wannabe2

First away game with children i would go for coventry, not too far, good rivalry and usually a very good game, food and drink close by and away block usually full.

Just to note, I've heard Bob's bus is the party bus and sometimes not overly young children friendly and can be quite rowdy.Never been myself but I hear its a good laugh.

My Husband and I took our 3 girls on bobs tours 3 times last season all the games were to Nottingham. The girls are age 8,10 and 13 they play bingo and Bob buys sweets for the children, as prizes. There is always a great atmosphere on the bus and the girls love it:)

steve

if you're new to away travel, then definitely go to nottingham - its the closest you can get to the 'whole package'. although i dont like them - they have an excellent facility and it really gives you a feel of what hockey could be!

wildthing74

Clare said:
Just to note, I've heard Bob's bus is the party bus and sometimes not overly young children friendly and can be quite rowdy.Never been myself but I hear its a good laugh.
Not sure where you got that from? I take my 2 girls who are 9 and 10 and it's total opposite to what you have heard!

Re: Re: Elite Away Games - 3 questions

wildthing74 said:
Clare said:
Not sure where you got that from? I take my 2 girls who are 9 and 10 and it's total opposite to what you have heard!
Fair enough then! #dontshootthemessenger

One thing I find is that some Nottingham fans are really really annoying. There is a group of lads who sit in/by the away block just to stir up. In Cov you don't get that as we generally fill the away block.

My vote is for Cov then Nottingham.

DevilDom

Clare said:
Couldn't disagree more Clare. Bob's tours is the best way to travel with kids. Completely child friendly and great fun.

Skippy

** Some posts deleted **

A reminder to all, if you don't agree then feel free to disagree but attack the post not the poster.