Elite League fans' Forum

Tad#

Thread starter #1
Taken from the Fire and Ice Forum:

In brief and this isn't everything that was covered:

Rules clinic was the same as Nottingham event although we asked why linos weren't mentioning to refs that player A has for example X-checked player B but the ref has only seen player B slash in retaliation and will only call that. Answer was the linos should raise it with the refs. We also raised as to why things are not being called such as the lack of protection Jaeger got prior to the brawl. Simon Kirkham agreed that IIHF referreeing is far stricter on protection offered to netminders. Andy French said he would like to return to the 4 man system if nothing else to bring new refs through with an experienced ref to build the pool of refs, the only reason it was dropped before was cost.

Wage cap being reviewed in the summer. It will be hard to police it. We did ask why no action was taken on teams that are breaking the cap and even if someone buys in action as a new owner why wasn't taken. Basically it went along the lines of, "Well what can you do?" the new owner has inherited that team. It was mentioned that Paul Ragan inherited a team over the cap when he bought Cardiff last year although they are now under, presumably he'll have Sheffield under next season. Andy French admitted there is a lot of discussion at board meetings on the wage cap and there are a lot of ways around it which I'm sure most of us already can think of. Teams do have to disclose to the league what they are paying players to the league at the start of the league but as he said, there are a lot of ways around it as you're not going to admit to paying more than the cap are you.

Suspension tariffs will be reviewed to see if any changes need to be made in terms of length of suspension. Also likely to have a change in application as at present a mandatory tariff when called as a match during the game can be different to what will be applied if a supplementary review is held. Looking to standardise this and make them both the same. Andy French stated Sawyer got 3 games the same as Brad Cruikshank got despite what the website said it was equally applied. Andy said the initial tarrifs were drawn up between himself, Thommo, Rob Wilson, Mike Hicks and a few others a couple of years ago and as said will be reviewed this year.

They hoped the league would run with at least 10 teams in it. No word either on any potential new teams or if the existing ones would all be taking part.

Also with regards contracts the generally assumed 2 week contract is just that... an assumption. Clubs have some players on that, others may have season long contracts or have a months notice instead of 2 weeks, whatever they think works best for them and may perhaps entice a player to come.

Most amusing moment was Mike Hicks explaining the levels you go through to be a ref going from level 1 to 2 then 3. Question from the floor, "So when are you doing level 2 then?"

A question was raised with regards Blaze and Stingrays and James Pease stated that the two clubs were operated entirely separately in terms of budgets and Clouts made the player signing decisions within the budget he had available, much the same as Thommo does for the Blaze. The only sharing was really in terms of back office staff, although they had taken on staff to cover Hull, the playing side is entirely separate.

Looking to hold more roadshows at various spots around the clubs and I would encourage any fan to go to one.

i'm sure someone else can flesh the other bits out.

I honestly never thought the Devils were under the wage cap. It's amazing to think Adams pulled off the signings he did really.

DevilDom

Tad# said:
Looking to hold more roadshows at various spots around the clubs and I would encourage any fan to go to one.
I think it will be a long time before Andy French and the muppet roadshow are brave enough to come to Cardiff and explain some of their decisions.

Wish I'd been there just for the reaction on hicks face when they said that! Hope they come to Cardiff but can't see it happening for a long time, if at all

Sliput

Rossboy19 said:
Wish I'd been there just for the reaction on hicks face when they said that! Hope they come to Cardiff but can't see it happening for a long time, if at all
To be fair Hicks took it in the joke way it was meant.

It was me who asked the question about Paul Ragan and the wage cap...but after a while Andy French dodged the remainder and carried on. He also stated that Justin Sawyer was handed down a three game ban but didnt serve it all as he 'Disappeared' i tried to put it to him that Sawyer played AFTER his ban but again, he avoided answering.

It was a really good night i also would encourage anyone, if they get the chance, to go to one.
I also think a few people would be suprised at the rules they think they know but in reality have been looking at it completely wrong...i was one of them !!

Sliput said:
Rossboy19 said:
It was me who asked the question about Paul Ragan and the wage cap...but after a while Andy French dodged the remainder and carried on. He also stated that Justin Sawyer was handed down a three game ban but didnt serve it all as he 'Disappeared' i tried to put it to him that Sawyer played AFTER his ban but again, he avoided answering
Which is the exact reason I think they will avoid coming down here. I think there would be a lot of hostility especially due to recent bans, but would be great to field some q's to them. Are they planning on going to all Eihl clubs? If not they definitely should be

Sliput

Rossboy19 said:
Sliput said:
Rossboy19 said:
It was me who asked the question about Paul Ragan and the wage cap...but after a while Andy French dodged the remainder and carried on. He also stated that Justin Sawyer was handed down a three game ban but didnt serve it all as he 'Disappeared' i tried to put it to him that Sawyer played AFTER his ban but again, he avoided answering
Which is the exact reason I think they will avoid coming down here. I think there would be a lot of hostility especially due to recent bans, but would be great to field some q's to them. Are they planning on going to all Eihl clubs? If not they definitely should be
I dont think they will do all clubs, they did mention as people were getting up to leave about 'hoping to do more'

Sliput said:
Rossboy19 said:
Sliput said:
Rossboy19 said:
I dont think they will do all clubs, they did mention as people were getting up to leave about 'hoping to do more'
If that's the case perhaps they should look at doing an online q & a session or something similar. it's only fair for all clubs sets of fans to voice opinions and get some answers on how this league is being run

Sliput

samidevils said:
PLEASE come to Cardiff. But I can't see it either.

There would be so much dodging of the questions.
He did that last night so if he came to Cardiff he would be silent :lol:

When i asked about Ragan and the wage cap i also said that i was a Cardiff fan so Ragan was also my owner.

After that a Coventry fan asked '' So this season can we assume that Cardiff have stuck to the wage cap'' ? to that he answered ''Yes they have''.

Would be nice if Sheffield followed suit with regards to the wage cap. I can't help but feel their finance has helped them on their way to the title

Koop11

Off topic for a moment here, but if the Devils have abided to the wage cap this season then massive credit has to go G and Franny for putting together the team we have had the pleasure of watching all season. Both entertaining and competitive.

It does make me wonder with us challenging the league the way we have, what Gerad could have done with the budget that Belfast, Nottingham and Sheffield have had.

Koop11 said:
Off topic for a moment here, but if the Devils have abided to the wage cap this season then massive credit has to go G and Franny for putting together the team we have had the pleasure of watching all season. Both entertaining and competitive.

It does make me wonder with us challenging the league the way we have, what Gerad could have done with the budget that Belfast, Nottingham and Sheffield have had.
Shush Koop, Dont mention G and Nottingham in the same sentence please. They will probably be looking for someone soon and that scenario has come up in discussions at the tent already. Terrifying thought.

E.D.S.

Tad# said:
Teams do have to disclose to the league what they are paying players to the league at the start of the league but as he said, there are a lot of ways around it as you're not going to admit to paying more than the cap are you.
so let me get this straight.....an owner goes on record as saying that his team are operating over the wagecap limit and in effect 'admitting' the offence and they still choose to do nothing about it - what more proof do you need?? They are openly admitting to the offence and so should be punished. If the league chooses not to then basically they are condoning teams that operate outside of the rules. They've made a laughing stock of what already is a comical league and farcical governing body. I'm not asking for Sheffield to be docked points now as I'd rather us or Belfast (although I'd seriously questions their wagecap) won the league on the ice, not off it. But surely something must be done. The elite league have the perect opportunity to take action and set an example as an owner has admitted the offence but they choose not to.....have I got that right or am I missing something?

In short, the Elite league said they can't police the wagecap ruling as it's too difficult and they can only punish somebody if they admit to it which is never going to happen - an owner then admits to and they still choose to ignore it. Right?

Sliput

Koop11 said:

I understand what you mean Koop but i really think its more down to the players signed. As you say, we have stayed within the wage cap and have a fantastic team, Nottingham year in year out break the wage cap and have won very very little.

Sliput

E.D.S. said:
In short, the Elite league said they can't police the wagecap ruling as it's too difficult and they can only punish somebody if they admit to it which is never going to happen - an owner then admits to and they still choose to ignore it. Right?
Spot on, which is just more evidence that the league have no idea what they are doing !!

Tad#

Thread starter #16
If it's true that Ragan has made Cardiff stick to the wage cap, then hats off to him for doing something the league can't be bothered to inforce. If he plans to do this for Steelers next season that would leave just Belfast and Panthers clearly ignoring it. Not sure if Blaze and Clan are breaking it, but if so it can't be by much I'd imagine..

I've discussed this with PJ (my blaze fan husband) and we both agree that Blaze probably would be over the limit.

The reason he came up with was that Thommo has become lazy in recruiting. He signs the best players already in the league, Fussey, Deschatalets, Fulgham, Owen, Chambers, etc etc so in theory won't be getting the best deals as they are already in the country. Although you know what you are getting.

Whereas I'd imagine someone like Tylor last season 1 year pro so probably didn't pay much for him.