European Continental Cup Final

ASHIPP

Thread starter #1
Representing the Uk, Nottingham have made a fantastic start in the super final in Renon by beating Odense (Denmark) 2-0 whilst missing 4 players. They will play two other teams in this final group (from Italy and Kahzakstan) to determine the overall champion.

Panthers had to complete 4 previous group stages to get through. They are the only team in British history to get to the final stage in European cup hockey - congratulations to the team for their progress.

And also showing how to nurture the relationship with their fanbase by organising club buses between hotels and arena for traveling fans out there and presenting a webcast from Italy for their games.

Wannabe2

Wasn't long ago UK teams couldn't hold a candle to teams like Odense, our very own Phil Osaer went there if I ain't wrong. Just goes to show how the standard in this country has risen over the years. Well played Panthers.

august04

Wasn't long ago UK teams couldn't hold a candle to teams like Odense, our very own Phil Osaer went there if I ain't wrong. Just goes to show how the standard in this country has risen over the years. Well played Panthers.
Didn't Osaer go to Norway?
Good start for Panthers.

Last edited:

Devil_Abroad

I believe they have played 2 group stages to get to the final.

Sheffield Steelers got to the final in 2009-2010 finishing 3rd.

However, it's a great for Panthers to get there and what a result in the first game playing so many short.

Great advert for the EIHL too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ASHIPP

Thread starter #7
And the Panthers win their second game in the super final group - an overtime win against the strongest team in the final 4.

Way to go, Panthers....whilst still missing 4 players.

osh

Thanks for pointing this out ASHIPP, I missed it !
Well done to Panthers on a great result, especially with numbers down ! They may be our rivals but they deserve praise for playing with pride for themselves and their club. Puts the Elite League up a notch in Europe I'd say.

matbur

I don't know much about thevEuropean competitions, what's the difference between this and the Champions League hockey thing (CHL?)?

Are they prestigious and financially lucrative?

Electro

Our saving grace maybe Nottingham playing those extra games, yes they are financially lucrative in several ways.

kettdevil1

I don't know much about thevEuropean competitions, what's the difference between this and the Champions League hockey thing (CHL?)?

Are they prestigious and financially lucrative?
Tha Champions League (CHL) is the first tier of cross-European hockey, the competition Nottingham are in is the second. There has been talk of the winners of the Continental Cup getting entry to the CHL next season but I believe that is unconfirmed.

There is a fair amount of prestige in winning either tournament but it is fair to say that the response in much of Europe has been lukewarm. Attendances in Britain for European competitions have been decent, so a few more home games have been useful, but I wouldn't say the competitions are lucrative, more useful. Attendances elsewhere have been below those that teams get in their domestic leagues and the Continental Cup final group stage is being played in a rink which has a capacity of around two thousand which probably sums up the prestige.... good to win but I suspect Nottingham would trade it for the league here.

ASHIPP

Thread starter #14
Congratulations to the Nottingham Panthers - they have become Continental Cup Champions.

A fantastic achievement for the club, a great advert for the EIHL in Europe.

As their ownership and coaching staff have always said that this tournament was their top priority since before it (and our domestic season ) started, it makes it an even more special for them to progress.

Based on that, I doubt very much they would want to swap European success with a league title this season.

A club with a real cup winning history. Wouldn't be suprised if they retain the Challenge Cup and go on to win the Playoffs.

For all the put-downs that the Continental Cup is a second tier European competition, teams are required to win a certain number of games to progress. That requires consistency and smarts, particularly as teams only play eachother once.

Electro

Tha Champions League (CHL) is the first tier of cross-European hockey, the competition Nottingham are in is the second. There has been talk of the winners of the Continental Cup getting entry to the CHL next season but I believe that is unconfirmed.

There is a fair amount of prestige in winning either tournament but it is fair to say that the response in much of Europe has been lukewarm. Attendances in Britain for European competitions have been decent, so a few more home games have been useful, but I wouldn't say the competitions are lucrative, more useful. Attendances elsewhere have been below those that teams get in their domestic leagues and the Continental Cup final group stage is being played in a rink which has a capacity of around two thousand which probably sums up the prestige.... good to win but I suspect Nottingham would trade it for the league here.
Cardiff Devils Twitter account just congratulated Nottingham stating and l quote :

Congratulations to the @PanthersIHC on winning the Continental Cup.. Amazing victory for them and a huge deal for our league...

I'd go with that assessment and the fact it was important enough that they took it to the final and won.

Russky

Well Done to the Panthers for their win. Bumps up the league's respectability stakes some what compared to the Swedish, DEL and the Italian League.

On the downside though it will make some of the Panthers fans even more unbearable with their gloating.

ASHIPP

Thread starter #18
Well Done to the Panthers for their win. Bumps up the league's respectability stakes some what compared to the Swedish, DEL and the Italian League.

On the downside though it will make some of the Panthers fans even more unbearable with their gloating.
Let them gloat....I'd do the same if my team qualified for that opportunity and smashed it. It's a massive deal for the Panthers and our league.

Reading the pre-amble about each of the teams, it appears that the other 3 finalists are current leaders in their respective leagues.

There will be a fair few Panthers' fans having a Limoncello or two up in the Dolomites tonight!

ASHIPP

Thread starter #20
Congratulations to Panthers who have been accepted into the Champions League competition (the top tier of European hockey) next season after winning the Continental Cup this season. What an achievement....something most teams and their fans can only dream of.