Final Squad Predictions

Finny said:
C Joey Martin
A Mark Richardson
A Jake Morissette
A Matt Myers
I'm wondering if any of the new guys will get the C maybe Bentivoglio and a A for Louis although all 4 that you have stated deserve a letter as well. It's a difficult choice.

Have Hope#35

With only one player left to Sign this is my guess at the Lines:

Asselin Martin Doucet
Bentivoglio Ulmer EU Import (Szwez type player)
Haddad Myers Lord
CJ Culligan Morissette

A.Hotham Richie
Batchy Fournier
Louis S.Hotham

Bowns/Murdy

Spare - Piggie

Ocko

This is very difficult to work out. My guess:

Asselin Martin Doucet
Bentivoglio Ulmer Morisette
Haddad Culligan Ben Davies (still think he'll sign with us)
Lord Myers Tough forward tbc

I don't think the 3rd and 4th will be what Lord goes for but this is what I'd personally do. Top 2 lines for pure scoring. Then the 3rd to be used as a defensive line to shut down the oppositions top line - so it needs speed and a solid defensive game. I suppose you could swap Haddad and Mo to gain Mo's defensive ability but it looked a bit light to me. Or even swap Lord and Haddad, but I think Lord wants a lesser role this year.

Then a fourth line of crash and bang players. Myers and Lord are perfect for this, as would Haddad.

Finny

voth26 said:
Any one know when the guys are due into cardiff??
Well the club tweeted a photo a couple of days ago of them waiting at the airport to collect someone. Presumably that was Lord.

Bentivoglio has tweeted that he leaves for Cardiff Friday night. So presumably most of the players are coming in this weekend for a full weeks training ahead of the KHL games.
I wonder if that means Joey Martin is coming in later or has had a very short honeymoon?

backrow

I'm glad the Devils have several exhibition or friendly games to try out some different line combinations looking for that special kind of chemistry and balance with so many new players. Things don't always work out as well as they look on paper.
A lot will depend on exactly what they are looking for; 4 balanced lines, 3 scoring lines and a checking line or perhaps 2 very strong scoring lines, a checking line and a physical line.
The Devils might actually want to employ a different line makeup against different teams but that all remains to be seen in the season ahead.
Can't wait for the puck to be dropped!

Finny

Well Brine's signing has thrown a spanner into most of our line-up predictions I think?

I was fairly confident that it would be Culligan centring our 4th line with Jones/Piggott and our final signing. But can we really be putting Brine with that many AHL games on our 4th line? Especially if he is that good at face offs?

It does surely mean that Culligan will play as winger. Unless of course we put him back on D for a couple of games and player Louis as a power winger....

The last time we had this much strength in depth that we couldn't work out lineups was in the ISL. And Simmsey made a good point on his periscope that even the ISL didn't have 4 lines, which some EIHL do have now.

If we are going to run with 4 lines consistently then Chris Jones will never have a better chance to show what he can do. He might rotate a bit with Piggott but ultimately he'll be on a line with two quality players. And we saw what that can do to a young brit when Paul Sample and Sam Smith had that opportunity.

Although......... I wouldn't totally rule out us offering Ben Davies a contract if nothing works out for him in the ECHL. Imagine a 4th line of Culligan - Brine - Davies.

Hard to predict the line up this year but id go with something like this

A. Hotham - Richie
S. Hotham - Fornier
Louis - Batch

Bentivoglio - Ulmer - Asselin
Doucet - Martin - Mo
Haddad - Myers - Lord
Culli - Brine - CJ/Pigs

Devil_Abroad

LW Bentivoglio
C Ulmer
RW Doucet

LW Asselin
C Martin
RW Lord

LW Haddad
C Brine
RW Morissette

LW Culligan
C Myers
RW Jones

If we're not stacked on 4 lines then something's wrong!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mooney#16

The thing that excites me most with signing Brine is his penalty killing. Hopefully this now means Joey Martin can come of the PK units and save some minutes and energy for 5-5 and PP as well as the increased injury risk with shot blocking. Not just what he directly brings but also additional factors like Joey being fresh in the third and OT which is going 3-3 make Brine a huge pick up.

Devil_Abroad

Mooney#16 said:
The thing that excites me most with signing Brine is his penalty killing. Hopefully this now means Joey Martin can come of the PK units and save some minutes and energy for 5-5 and PP as well as the increased injury risk with shot blocking. Not just what he directly brings but also additional factors like Joey being fresh in the third and OT which is going 3-3 make Brine a huge pick up.
upside everywhere

Mooney#16 said:
Could potentially take all of our top 2 line players off the PK and have 6 3rd and 4th liners making up 3 PK tandems. Maybe save top 2 liners for PKs where you need a SHG? Brine also gives us 4 legit even strength scoring lines.

Like the look of Devil Abroad's lines but wonder if Lordo may want to play 3rd line? I would also split Batch and Louis to spread out toughness and have an offensive D man on each D unit.

Exciting times!

Devil_Abroad

Darkest_Peru said:
Mooney#16 said:
Could potentially take all of our top 2 line players off the PK and have 6 3rd and 4th liners making up 3 PK tandems. Maybe save top 2 liners for PKs where you need a SHG? Brine also gives us 4 legit even strength scoring lines.

Like the look of Devil Abroad's lines but wonder if Lordo may want to play 3rd line? I would also split Batch and Louis to spread out toughness and have an offensive D man on each D unit.

Exciting times!
Agree with D - these work with Left and Right shots;

A Hotham / Richardson
S Hotham / Batch
Fournier / Louis

Agree that Lord may wish to drop down too but I was struggling with LW / RW match. Could bump Haddad up I guess and swap Asselin to LW

jenks33

I think this signing could go either way. I know you could say this about every new signing but I think Brine more than most. I think we'll either be praising him for his work ethic/penalty killing/face offs or like simms says he could be gone by Christmas ( yes I appreciate simms is an idiot).
According to Craig Summerton on twitter (Who followed Aalborg when Thommo was there) he heard that Thommo didn't feel he was a great fit in the dressing room and a bit of a plodder on the Ice. Another thing that concerns me slightly is the devils will be his 6th club since 2014.

Having said all this I personally feel he will be a success. Lordo did play with him briefly in Rochester and Lordo strikes me as the type that wouldn't go there if he felt Brine could be a plodder or negative in the dressing room. He might have just though Thommo was a fool, he wouldn't be the first :)

Devil_Abroad

jenks33 said:
I think this signing could go either way. I know you could say this about every new signing but I think Brine more than most. I think we'll either be praising him for his work ethic/penalty killing/face offs or like simms says he could be gone by Christmas ( yes I appreciate simms is an idiot).
According to Craig Summerton on twitter (Who followed Aalborg when Thommo was there) he heard that Thommo didn't feel he was a great fit in the dressing room and a bit of a plodder on the Ice. Another thing that concerns me slightly is the devils will be his 6th club since 2014.

Having said all this I personally feel he will be a success. Lordo did play with him briefly in Rochester and Lordo strikes me as the type that wouldn't go there if he felt Brine could be a plodder or negative in the dressing room. He might have just though Thommo was a fool, he wouldn't be the first :)
also interesting to hear that Doucet contacted him - so he can't have any issues regarding dressing room and also perhaps likes the way he feeds players on the ice for snipers?

jenks33

Devil_Abroad said:
jenks33 said:

also interesting to hear that Doucet contacted him - so he can't have any issues regarding dressing room and also perhaps likes the way he feeds players on the ice for snipers?

Yes that's another positive. I don't think Doucet would have recommended him if he was a nightmare or Lazy