Flames Vs Devils - League - 30th Dec 23 - FO 18:00

I don’t get the negativity on here sometimes. Not just in relation to today’s game, but generally. I don’t need happy clappy sycophancy either, but it seems that so many people are infuriated if we don’t win every trophy every season. I don’t care if we lose the league to Steelers much as I detest the orange franchise and will actively avoid everything they stand for, it’s clear they have recruited well and have the budget to succeed.

What I do want though is to see some passion from a team, not just from select individual players, we weren’t a team tonight and that’s what I don’t like.

moggy#9

I don’t get the negativity on here sometimes. Not just in relation to today’s game, but generally. I don’t need happy clappy sycophancy either, but it seems that so many people are infuriated if we don’t win every trophy every season. I don’t care if we lose the league to Steelers much as I detest the orange franchise and will actively avoid everything they stand for, it’s clear they have recruited well and have the budget to succeed.

What I do want though is to see some passion from a team, not just from select individual players, we weren’t a team tonight and that’s what I don’t like.
There's no shame in losing the league to this Steelers team. They're very good. What is unacceptable is gifting it to them rather than making them work for it.

Diablo3

OK here is my tuppence. We are not the finished article... Yet. When we are good we are very good, but most coaches in this league take a few years to get that unbeatable team, Lordo, Keefer and now Fox for example. I know Pete has been here before but this is his first year with us, and he is probably going to take a couple of years to get it just right.

Meantime I will just enjoy the games where we are unplayable.

Pembo

New coach, team in transition. I feel we are decent this season, I’m not expecting us to win anything as we’ve been unlucky that when Giants have become beatable again Steelers have taken a further massive stride. Imagine how tight league would be if it was last years Steelers? Would be great for the league to have a tight title race this time around. I have fingers crossed for playoffs and continental cup but have a sneaky feeling we’ll have to wait a bit before our new logo joins the older ones in the rafters. Am going to try and enjoy the ride either way!

Finny

If only we had a player willing to put McAdam in his place that's over 5ft 7. All this stuff boiling over after the whistle is down to lack of in game retribution. We need to be looking for a player who is physical,finishes hits and stands up for and protects our skilled players.
Who did you want to fight at the end?
Guildford player fires the puck at Bowns and the nearest player Crawford goes for him straight away.
Busch grabs another Flame and Wilde is waiting for whoever else tries to get involved. Meanwhile Bowns jumps in and gets involved.

There‘s nobody else on the ice. If anyone else jumps off the bench and gets involved it’s an immediate suspension and we play short-benched tonight and possible against Sheffield midweek.

Finny

Not just saying this because of tonight's result, but we are very boring to watch. We barely throw a hit at all. Imo it's just as bad as last year to watch. At least when skalde was here we played a more entertaining game. After what happened at the end, tomorrow I'd start our 4th line & tell them to hit everything. But we all know that won't happen don't we.
I find the comment about us being more entertaining under Skalde very surprising. One of the biggest criticisms about Skalde’s team was the style of play. That we weren’t very exciting. That we didn’t keep hold of the puck, we soaked up pressure and the tried to hit them on the counter-attack with speed.

Rempel16

Who did you want to fight at the end?
Guildford player fires the puck at Bowns and the nearest player Crawford goes for him straight away.
Busch grabs another Flame and Wilde is waiting for whoever else tries to get involved. Meanwhile Bowns jumps in and gets involved.

There‘s nobody else on the ice. If anyone else jumps off the bench and gets involved it’s an immediate suspension and we play short-benched tonight and possible against Sheffield midweek.
McAdam’s celebration in front of the Devils bench deserves a stick being left in on him tonight.

Is there anything in this game that you specifically weren’t happy with?

From the games I’ve seen Batch has been pretty solid so far. He’s certainly not been a liability in giving up goals.
He has been a great servant. He is just too slow now especially against teams like Guildford, he is our biggest player but doesn't use his size. Now Louis has gone He has to be the one intimidating the players on the other team ,making them know if they step out of line He will be there. He pulls out if hits rather than finishing them. The roar in the arena when he used to nail someone into the boards was unreal. If he doesn't use his size what else does he offer?

kettdevil1

He has been a great servant. He is just too slow now especially against teams like Guildford, he is our biggest player but doesn't use his size. Now Louis has gone He has to be the one intimidating the players on the other team ,making them know if they step out of line He will be there. He pulls out if hits rather than finishing them. The roar in the arena when he used to nail someone into the boards was unreal. If he doesn't use his size what else does he offer?
What are your views since he was paired with Wilde? Interested as for me he has been superb in the last few games (missed Guildford so don’t know what he was like there?) He has adopted a completely different style which is ultra defensive, allowing Wilde to go forward (which works well as he doesn’t seem particularly keen on the defensive aspects of the game…)

Time and again he has dropped further back and not taken the opportunity to make a hit or pinch in. The Hollywood play would be to move up or hit but with Wilde playing as he does that would leave us exposed.

My call is he is playing some very intelligent hockey indeed recently and after last year, where he was not great, he is back to where he should be.

Disappointing to lose yesterday and although I am definitely not handing Sheffield the title, we need to keep the pressure on them or they will cruise away.

Oh absolutely. Assuming he starts tonight I expect his crease to be overflowing with bodies as people get pushed or accidentally fall in.
Who can we see flooding the crease though, causing that menace or providing that ‘in your face’ physicality in front of net. Stefan Fournier would have been perfect for that role this evening. Pietroniro is replaced by Duggan tonight it appears so that’s one of our physical players out. Looking forward to the game mind - I believe (hope) the Devils will be pumped for this one!