Flyers Vs Devils - League - 17th Dec 23 - FO 17:30

4 points behind before Christmas and it's already over? Behave
Very much depends on your definition of "challenge".

If your definition of challenge means, coming to play every night, building pressure on Sheffield with consistent
performances and putting together a string of 10 wins for instance, well I’m with Hedd Wyn!

If your definition of challenge is being in it til it’s mathematically impossible to win it then yes, we’re still challenging for the league, along with Fife!

There is a pattern that emerged 2 seasons ago and it’s still evident!

Hockeymad

I'm one of a few that didn't want pr

But il get slated for that.

This club needs a big change and stop relying on old timers.

Batch go.

bowns imo go.

Kelman go

Need a shake up

Reality check! No one man is the problem.
PR ain’t the problem.
BB ain’t the problem.
TK ain’t the problem.

The budget is the problem.
The end of the 'free ice' is the problem.
The balance of the roster (again) is the problem.
The lack of physicality is the problem.
The 'post covid' new order is the problem.

I'm one of a few that didn't want pr

But il get slated for that.

This club needs a big change and stop relying on old timers.

Batch go.

bowns imo go.

Kelman go

Need a shake up
The issue I have with Bowns , as much as I rate him. While he is at the club we will be unable to attract a high end NM.

On Batch ,he is a waste of a roster spot. Huge guy but not willing to use his body anymore. If he isn't commited to playing the physical game ,what else does he offer?

Last edited:

august04 2.0

Reality check!
PR ain’t the problem.
BB ain’t the problem.
TK ain’t the problem.

The budget is the problem.
The end of the 'free ice' is the problem.
The balance of the roster (again) is the problem.
The lack of physicality is the problem.
The 'post covid' new order is the problem.
Well I’m pretty sure we've got a better budget than Fife and they’ve just beaten us comfortably! I’m sure our budget is competitive, I don’t think that’s the problem.

Well I’m pretty sure we've got a better budget than Fife and they’ve just beaten us comfortably! I’m sure our budget is competitive, I don’t think that’s the problem.
I was comparing our budget with that of Sheffield, who are clearly head and shoulders above everyone else, as we should be measuring ourselves against Sheffield and Belfast in my opinion.

august04 2.0

No one is stopping the Steelers, particularly not us.

I shouldn't worry though, I'm sure the social media team will ignore the whole thing this week and have the team dressed as Santa, playing silly games and having a jolly old time.
Unfortunately, we seem more interested in flogging stuff to the paying public (last night was relentless with announcements etc) and spouting nonsense on social media than actually wanting to be a winning organisation again.

august04 2.0

I was comparing our budget with that of Sheffield, who are clearly head and shoulders above everyone else, as we should be measuring ourselves against Sheffield and Belfast in my opinion.
Those two clubs have a totally different mentally. They will do whatever it takes to win. If that means letting go of underperforming players, they’ll do it. And they don’t seem to have problems recruiting players despite this policy. We're like a cosy, country club in comparison, more concerned about how we're perceived.

Hedd Wyn John

4 points behind before Christmas and it's already over? Behave
Mathematically can they win it?

Yes.

Will they win it?

No.

A .694 points percentage isn't going to win the Devils the league.

Steelers are cantering ahead on .852

Sheffield look the finished article. No real obvious weaknesses in their side & their brushing aside teams that we are struggling with.

The Devils are still an inconsistent team that blows hot & cold. Not like one of Lordo's league winning teams that's for sure.

Those two clubs have a totally different mentally. They will do whatever it takes to win. If that means letting go of underperforming players, they’ll do it. And they don’t seem to have problems recruiting players despite this policy. We're like a cosy, country club in comparison, more concerned about how we're perceived.
I agree we don’t have that mentality, we did once but we don’t have it now.
We haven’t recruited a well balanced roster since Lord departed, some of that down to a poor coach and partly because we don’t have the budget to compete.
The type of forwards we lack are commodity players, big tough, fast skating point scoring wingers.
They’re like Rocking Horse shit, every team, in better leagues than ours, is looking for them!

Devil94

Mathematically can they win it?

Yes.

Will they win it?

No.

A .694 points percentage isn't going to win the Devils the league.

Steelers are cantering ahead on .852

Sheffield look the finished article. No real obvious weaknesses in their side & their brushing aside teams that we are struggling with.

The Devils are still an inconsistent team that blows hot & cold. Not like one of Lordo's league winning teams that's for sure.
Let's not pretend Sheffield have been sailing comfortably this year. Literally last weekend they lost at home to Guildford who were in 9th place at the time. Few weeks before that they lost at home to Glasgow who were also struggling at the time. And of course the one time we played them we beat them.

4 points is nothing at this stage of the year. That's a difference that could be overturned in a week. Teams go through hot and cold spells, Coventry were terrible at the start of the year now they're unbeaten in 8 and in the top 3. I can't remember them making big roster changes? And how often in the last few years have Sheffield started strong and then made a mess in the bed?

Hedd Wyn John

Let's not pretend Sheffield have been sailing comfortably this year. Literally last weekend they lost at home to Guildford who were in 9th place at the time. Few weeks before that they lost at home to Glasgow who were also struggling at the time. And of course the one time we played them we beat them.

4 points is nothing at this stage of the year. That's a difference that could be overturned in a week. Teams go through hot and cold spells, Coventry were terrible at the start of the year now they're unbeaten in 8 and in the top 3. I can't remember them making big roster changes? And how often in the last few years have Sheffield started strong and then made a mess in the bed?
.852 points percentage vs .694

But put that aside.

Do we genuinely look as good as one of Lordo's league winning teams? Do we look as good as the Lordo's team in the season that was cut short during covid?

I'm afraid to say No.

Can Sheffield collapse? Yes it's entirely possible but if we're getting put to the sword by Fife or losing home & away to Nottingham it ain't gonna save our bacon.

Last edited:

ASHIPP

On ice leaders don't have to have an 'A' or a 'C', they lead by being clutch players with a ruthless, winning mentality. They are capable of changing games and developing motivation and consistency in team performance.

Our team simply doesn't have them this year. The last time we had influential players with very high hockey I.Qs was when Andrew Lord was our coach. Ever since COVID, we have often struggled with those skills and values.

Last edited:

Devil94

If you compare our team to Lord's teams then you're setting up for failure. That was a one off period, a number of rare events colliding to make an incredibly successful era. It's impossible to plan for that to happen as it did. Honestly I can't see us getting a team as good as Lord's final 3 seasons for a very long time, so much has changed since then.

I of course loved the Andrew Lord era, but one thing I dislike about it is how its effected the mentality of the fan base. How being sitting comfortably in 2nd place at Christmas, 4 points behind the leaders who we have to play 5 more times, and apparently the seasons gone. 8 other teams in the league would bite your hand off to be in this position.

Hedd Wyn John

If you compare our team to Lord's teams then you're setting up for failure. That was a one off period, a number of rare events colliding to make an incredibly successful era. It's impossible to plan for that to happen as it did. Honestly I can't see us getting a team as good as Lord's final 3 seasons for a very long time, so much has changed since then.

I of course loved the Andrew Lord era, but one thing I dislike about it is how its effected the mentality of the fan base. How being sitting comfortably in 2nd place at Christmas, 4 points behind the leaders who we have to play 5 more times, and apparently the seasons gone. 8 other teams in the league would bite your hand off to be in this position.

Then we won't be winning the league any time soon.

If we want to be winning league titles we need a team that's as good as the team that won the league under Lordo.