Flyers Vs Devils - League - 7th Nov 21

moggy#9

Of course statistics don't show the whole story and they can be used to evidence any position but I've taken a look this morning at the +\- across the roster and some other choice stats.

Stats tell a story that I think we have picked up on: offensive D-men have not started the league season yet (Register and BOC have 3 points between them in 7 league games); and our lower line have struggled (+\- for the likes of Davies, Lammon (both -3) and DuPont (-4)); the D throwing up rushes means that Mac's current GAA is north of 2, meaning obviously that we need to be scoring 3 to get anywhere and at the moment that doesn't look like happening!

(Nb. Above +\- will include PK which will affect Davies's numbers)

As I said above, stats aren't everything. However I wonder whether breaking up that 3rd line would help? The last few matches we've seen Waller and Dugs line up with Lammon or Davies...seems that line doesn't have the big character on it that MM brought last season for example.

Waller has improved from being higher up the lines, all the others could do a job higher up individually. Just seems that by sticking them all together that they aren't as effective at present.

Maybe....maybe not.

Oddly, didn't think Cole Sandford would be at -4 on the +\-
Are you sure that the +/- include special teams? When I provided that particular stat to the team back in the ISL days I'm pretty sure that it was only even strength that counted.

jenks33

This team beat Lausanne and put up a decent showing agains other CHL teams.
What happened since?
Understandably CHL teams don’t show us as much respect when we have the puck. That helped players like Sanford for example. What we’ve seen lately is average teams (Nottingham aren’t an average team but they were against us due to their injuries) play a defensively sound game against us and we’ve had no idea how to break them down. Just shot after shot from the outside by the sounds of it

bb1

Firstly looking at our defense it does seem weaker than previous seasons (even though CV'S may not suggest that).
Jardine was a superb D man and was rock solid at the back as was Shaone Morrisonn. Defensively we look shaky at times and its only Mickkelson and Richie who seem to be our solid defensive guys.

From an offensive point of view those previous seasons when our forwards had a goal drought we were lucky to have had D men like Hotham and Fournier, even going down to Reddick and Mosey who all contributed. We don' seem to be as strong at the back in any department ATM other than having a superb nettie in Carruth.

Up top we obviously have some superb players which clearly started well in the CHL. Sanford and Cox are two great pick ups and both play with grit and heart most games and I feel we can stay confident that they will start to find the net again.
Crandall for me is also doing a very good job and is solid and gritty himself and i'm sure his points will start to tally up when we get our mojo back.
Waller....say no more is a suberb talent and can score some fantastic goals. Reid is proving what he brings to the table time and time again and Duggan does a great job for a british player.
Mcnally being a fan favourite brings everything to the table. Great hockey brain, superb hands and brings more heart and grit than a lot of our players put together. He's the only real character we have.
Dixon we know what he can bring but sadly he's been very quiet from the get go. He was our real energy guy and we really need the old Dicko back.
Ben Davies I really hope he can find that character he played with in Guilford. He hit, put up points and really wound up players like Hotham by getting under their skin....we need that character back.

Sadly the rest of the forwards.....have been disappointing. I know people don't like it when players get singled out but....they are professional sportsmen and when in the spotlight they are there to be critiqued. Sadly Lammon just isn't clicking, not through lack of effort either.
Dupont and Valdix......I will leave it there.

Right now this team needs a real kick up the backside and an injection of character. McNally can't be relied on to do it game in game out all on his own. Yes we aren't scoring BUT we do have goal scorers! For me we need another couple of players with a bit more 'piss and vinegar' who can impact a game and create space.

I hope we can find a couple of guys soon before its too late.

kingmo19.1

Just reading this thread ….. have come to the conclusion that if Wannabe is having a meltdown then we must be in some serious trouble! Haven’t seen the team play yet this season, so always interested to read the views of fans on here and get a perspective of what’s happening.

Personally, I always thought this season would be difficult - new coach with no EIHL experience, core ripped out from the previous team and a lot of new recruits with no EIHL experience (was that a mistake considering we let some good players go?).

I’m going with the view that this season is a rebuilding / rebaselining of the team and next season will be the real test.

We could be in for a bumpy ride, we’ve got no Devine right to win but if the effort to win is lacking (that’s what I’m reading in a lot of the threads) then that has to have a time limit associated with it - if that’s breached then although the club likes to convey it’s the most caring in the world by retaining anyone it employs, in this unique post Covid season I think that has to change!

I have no problem seeing us lose if 100% effort is given, but lack of effort is totally inexcusable in my book.

bb1

Just reading this thread ….. have come to the conclusion that if Wannabe is having a meltdown then we must be in some serious trouble! Haven’t seen the team play yet this season, so always interested to read the views of fans on here and get a perspective of what’s happening.

Personally, I always thought this season would be difficult - new coach with no EIHL experience, core ripped out from the previous team and a lot of new recruits with no EIHL experience (was that a mistake considering we let some good players go?).

I’m going with the view that this season is a rebuilding / rebaselining of the team and next season will be the real test.

We could be in for a bumpy ride, we’ve got no Devine right to win but if the effort to win is lacking (that’s what I’m reading in a lot of the threads) then that has to have a time limit associated with it - if that’s breached then although the club likes to convey it’s the most caring in the world by retaining anyone it employs, in this unique post Covid season I think that has to change!

I have no problem seeing us lose if 100% effort is given, but lack of effort is totally inexcusable in my book.

Spot on.....I don't mind losing but it is the manner in which we lose that's annoying. 3 minutes of hitting in the 3rd period at 0-2 to Blaze (12 skaters!!!) with 8 mins left won't cut it. We should have knocked the wind out of them from the start but surprisingly it was the other way around!

Diablo3

I'm not sure it's a lack of effort. 114 shots on goal over two games would suggest otherwise. I think the problem is that the other coaches have seen how dangerous we can be on the break and collapse down leaving us to circulate the puck out wide looking for an opening. This in turn drags our defenders in hoping to assist.

As the commentators said last night, we don't have anyone getting in the netties face like we did with our previous team leaving us shots from the blue line

bb1

I'm not sure it's a lack of effort. 114 shots on goal over two games would suggest otherwise. I think the problem is that the other coaches have seen how dangerous we can be on the break and collapse down leaving us to circulate the puck out wide looking for an opening. This in turn drags our defenders in hoping to assist.

As the commentators said last night, we don't have anyone getting in the netties face like we did with our previous team leaving us shots from the blue line
There are a lot of guys working their tails off but Skalde keeps mentioning hard working opposition suggesting we are not playing hard enough. The shots tally just suggest that the quality of shots isn't there and we don't have the Myers type to screen the netminder.

I do agree that we have been kept from playing that fast direct style of hockey and have been forced out wide to cycle the puck behind the net etc...However that was a Lordo style with forwards who were bigger and stronger who could hold the puck up. If that's the way we continue to play we have no hope as we have forwards who are not built for that style of game.

osh

Let’s face it, whatever Skalde’s game plans are, they are simply not working and more worryingly for me is the fact that he doesn’t seem able to change things with this squad of players. We certainly have decent enough individuals but they are just not clicking as a unit. I personally think he has misjudged the EIHL and quite honestly I feel he has recruited poorly judging by what we are seeing week in week out. I think other teams have worked our systems out and find it easy enough to ensure lots of our shots on goal are from distance and not immediately in front of net where it matters most. I fully expect to see a couple of player movements within the next 2 weeks. Frustrating for everyone, fans, management, owners, players and coach, but a reality check is needed and gassing a couple of players may prove the incentive needed for others to pull their fingers out and start performing better.

Temme

Let’s face it, whatever Skalde’s game plans are, they are simply not working and more worryingly for me is the fact that he doesn’t seem able to change things with this squad of players. We certainly have decent enough individuals but they are just not clicking as a unit. I personally think he has misjudged the EIHL and quite honestly I feel he has recruited poorly judging by what we are seeing week in week out. I think other teams have worked our systems out and find it easy enough to ensure lots of our shots on goal are from distance and not immediately in front of net where it matters most. I fully expect to see a couple of player movements within the next 2 weeks. Frustrating for everyone, fans, management, owners, players and coach, but a reality check is needed and gassing a couple of players may prove the incentive needed for others to pull their fingers out and start performing better.
I have a feeling the availability of new players in the COVID era may be an issue this season.

tim78

Problem with Devin, he was tough and gritty but I don't recall him being skillful against the boards like the forementioned. Plus our PK will be stepping up alot.

E.D.S.

This starts and ends at the coaches door for me. Whether it's the fact Skalde is unfamiliar with the league, the opposition and the type of play over here or he has just recruited poorly. I think he's had long enough to know what this league is all about. The responsibility for where we are sits with him and I'm sure he does take responsibility for it. I don't expect us to change him but I do expect him to change things and quickly. Shuffling the pack and mixing up lines won't cut it. The style of play we have has been figured out. If we change the style then he's going to have to change some players. Appreciate we've never done this before but I don't think we've ever been this far adrift in terms of a style of play that suits these shores. Skalde has some serious questions to answer.
When we do come up against a team that for some reason hasn't worked us out, we look great but the likes of Coventry and Nottingham who are very well coached know how to play us. It's also not rocket science. A dump and chase deep in the offensive zone with small players ends badly. That appears to be a plan B when plan isn't working. Plan A involves us staying high above the goal line and moving the puck quickly. That's been well defended so far. Plan B will get our little guys injured. Over to you Mr Skalde.

Oh and sort out Brexit too.

I feel very sorry for wannabe 2 who I personally know he is such a loyal person and to read his replies to this thread is upsetting, and the rest of you fans the devils owners and management staff need to listen to us fans and sort this team out before it’s too late

moggy#9

I'm underwhelmed by Davies at the minute too.

Has he even scored a goal
To be fair to him, it depends upon the role he's been assigned. The games I've seen he's furthered tenaciously, but he's the sort of player that needs support. He's not going to be at the top end of our depth chart, so I guess the expectation is that he plays his game and chips in the odd point here and there. The issues the team has are around the top of what our depth chart was perceived to be pre season.