Fournier goal of the season contender

fridaysfingers

In defence of Dougie, you can only play against what’s in front of you, myself I reckon if the opposition was a higher quality game in game out, he would have also raised his game, and like Culligan MAC didn’t pursue a career in NA, it’s that old question was Best better than Ronaldo, would Tyson have beaten Ali, different eras different views. Anyway we are/were blessed to have had them both, thankfully.
As much as we all loved Dougie, some more than others obviously, there is a reason why he was playing against the players that he was.
I’m in no way knocking him but if he thought he was good enough to make himself a wealthy man playing a game he loved by staying in NA he wouldn’t have been playing in sheds like Peterborough, Lee Valley and Cardiff’s state of the art WNIR.
For me he wasn’t even the best player on his line when he came here, but that’s just my opinion.

Not the best analogies either. It’s not like comparing Ali to Tyson at all.

Charles Linglet is, as his resume says, in a completely different league.

Just saying!!

fridaysfingers

Another thing I’ve seen is people comparing dougie’s coast to coast goals to Fournier’s.
As has been stated dougie was playing against a way lower level while scoring his.
I appreciate he played ISL but was down in scoring charts then, and not tearing it up.
This is sounding like I’ve got a downer on him, not at all but I think a bit of perspective is needed.

august04

Another thing I’ve seen is people comparing dougie’s coast to coast goals to Fournier’s.
As has been stated dougie was playing against a way lower level while scoring his.
I appreciate he played ISL but was down in scoring charts then, and not tearing it up.
This is sounding like I’ve got a downer on him, not at all but I think a bit of perspective is needed.
Doug was still almost a point per game player at the start of Superleague but in reality was past his best as that league progressed. I still consider myself very fortunate to have watched him play. You can’t compare generations/players as it was a completely different time and UK hockey was so different pre ISL to today’s game. Would Linglet be able to get through the workload that imports back in the Heineken days had to, when there were 3-4 per team? Who knows? Let’s just enjoy watching him play, as people did watching the likes of McEwen, Moria, Hope, Lawless etc back then. I have to say one of my favourite coast to coast goals was scored by Lawless, who started in his own zone at blinding speed and ended it with a slapshot in the top corner. I can’t remember who we were playing but it’s a stunning goal.

backrow

It seems fitting somehow that Chris Culligan was mentioned in this thread about a Goal of the Year.
I look back fondly and remember things like the winning goal in the first Challenge Cup, his goal that ended up as #4 on TSN's Plays of the Year, 2 blocked shots in last 40 seconds of 2nd Challenge Cup and a 2 goal, 2 assist game on defence one night as some of the highlights. However, I honestly believe Culli was excited every game that the Devils won, whatever role he was asked to play.

Devil_Abroad

In defence of Dougie, you can only play against what’s in front of you, myself I reckon if the opposition was a higher quality game in game out, he would have also raised his game, and like Culligan MAC didn’t pursue a career in NA, it’s that old question was Best better than Ronaldo, would Tyson have beaten Ali, different eras different views. Anyway we are/were blessed to have had them both, thankfully.
When the Superleague took off and the quality of players rose you need to check Doug’s output. He was in the BNL days and the first transition year of Suprleague one of the stars of the game - his skating ability was sublime.

However, he isn’t a patch on Linglet. There’s only Dwyer I would guess that’s anywhere near him in this league. Of course Fournier is excelling as an all round D man too, but shhhh.......

Wannabe2

Doug was still almost a point per game player at the start of Superleague but in reality was past his best as that league progressed. I still consider myself very fortunate to have watched him play. You can’t compare generations/players as it was a completely different time and UK hockey was so different pre ISL to today’s game. Would Linglet be able to get through the workload that imports back in the Heineken days had to, when there were 3-4 per team? Who knows? Let’s just enjoy watching him play, as people did watching the likes of McEwen, Moria, Hope, Lawless etc back then. I have to say one of my favourite coast to coast goals was scored by Lawless, who started in his own zone at blinding speed and ended it with a slapshot in the top corner. I can’t remember who we were playing but it’s a stunning goal.
It was against the Humberside Seahawk’s, he picked the puck up Zamboni end, as you say went coast to coast jumping over one stick tackle and scored top corner, it was truly a thing of beauty, Jonny was some player. And shooting the clock for Devils Abroad.

Last edited:

Devil_Abroad

Surely you missed the best part? Shooting the clock? :D

Ocko

I have to disagree on McEwen's ISL output. In that first season he might've been close to a point a game at 0.78 however had Ziesche finished the season with the same output before he was released, he wouldve been slightly ahead and Thornton would've certainly been far away in terms of production with the same amount of games. With the exception of George Swann and Franny, who were bit part players, he was statistically our least productive forward and was 33. 4 years younger than Linglet and younger than/same age as the vast majority of forwards on our team now. Nostalgia is great and Dougie was a superb servant to us, but we are comparing a real top end player, who played in every top league outside of the NHL to that of McEwen who spent the majority of his career in semi pro leagues and didn't make the grade at Junior AAA.

august04

I have to disagree on McEwen's ISL output. In that first season he might've been close to a point a game at 0.78 however had Ziesche finished the season with the same output before he was released, he wouldve been slightly ahead and Thornton would've certainly been far away in terms of production with the same amount of games. With the exception of George Swann and Franny, who were bit part players, he was statistically our least productive forward and was 33. 4 years younger than Linglet and younger than/same age as the vast majority of forwards on our team now. Nostalgia is great and Dougie was a superb servant to us, but we are comparing a real top end player, who played in every top league outside of the NHL to that of McEwen who spent the majority of his career in semi pro leagues and didn't make the grade at Junior AAA.
I still don’t think you can compare players now and pre ISL. Doug might have been 33 when ISL started but look at all the ice time he’d logged for the previous 10 years in the Heineken era?! His legs were older than 33 with all those minutes! There were some real high end imports back then, who often get overlooked because the UK game wasn’t as strong as it is now certainly. And I’m not comparing Linglet with McEwen. Linglet does things that I’ve never seen before over here, his skills are sublime and he’s certainly the best player for me in the EIHL just now. I think if he was younger, he’d be playing in the NHL now given the change in style to a more skilled game, away from the physical way it was played for so long - which probably didn’t suit his stature and game when he was trying to make it.

Last edited: