G given a month

Shock horror. Regan says something to try and keeps the fans happy, realises he's done the opposite so says something else.

The original release made no sense anyway. It would of given G 6 league games to make at least 7points (thats if the teams above lose all their league games). So it was either an excuse to sack G, something to try and keep the fans happy or a way for Regan and Brent to claim credit for you starting to win games.

These are a series of texts between myself and a mate, we were discussing this and the other angles of this whole situation. Figured they were relevant and couldn't be bothered to re - type them haha!

" I can kinda get where ragan is coming from a business point of view but G has had a rough deal with lacosta being out it kinda messes up the whole plan. Plus the whole thing of we need to be top 4, we have played 4 league games so even if we had won all our games we would still only be 4/5th anyway! All seems a bit silly really! "

" No lacosta no conboy... 2 top imports down. 3 wins from 8 and NO home wins! ! Gorra change as it is bad business!"

" Yeah for sure. But I bet if we had lacosta and/or conboy on the ice it would have made a big difference. Biggest lost if you ask me was lacosta, he showed he was good at home against shuff, and then a win away! being that it was his 1st game back after a really nasty injury. I think we will have Belfast this weekend, and the caps! I do have faith in lacosta. But as a business, losing like that is plain and simple bad business, regardless of stats, players etc. Win = more people, more people in = more money = better for business. Other way round well it ain't good for business. "

Koop11

A very clear statement coming from PR on the Devils website. Good on him for issuing this to mitigate the divides being made over this hot topic. I have to say I cannot really argue with what he has said.

A bit of clear reporting from the Echo would be welcome. Yesterday’s report certainly paved the way for the suggestion that Gerad has been given a Devils ultimatum and has a month to achieve the goals set. Perhaps this is a classic case of don’t believe what you read in the news papers. As a former sponsor of the Devils (or are they sponsoring again this year?) you would hope that the Echo would report with a bit more clarity.

Koop11

jester said:
Good statement. It certainly blows out the water you dont have a good budget argument which is often trotted out.

I don't think anybody can deny an improved budget this season but there is no indication in the statement of how this is measured against the budgets of arena teams so not sure your point has a lot of value.

Fair play - a very forthright and honest statement from PR.

I re-read the Wales online article and then listened to the interview with BP. There was a huge leap made by Echo/Wales Online, from BP saying "things must improve" to an ultimatum.

Poor journalism and reporting, in my book. Spinning a molehill into a mountain to sell papers/get hits.

Midlands Devil said:
Fair play - a very forthright and honest statement from PR.

I re-read the Wales online article and then listened to the interview with BP. There was a huge leap made by Echo/Wales Online, from BP saying "things must improve" to an ultimatum.

Poor journalism and reporting, in my book. Spinning a molehill into a mountain to sell papers/get hits.
Totally agree, poor journalism. I hope a line is drawn up the issue now and we all get behind every element of the club. no devils fan wants the team to fail, no-one at the club makes deliberate mistakes and everyone seems to be striving to make every aspect better. Like PR seems to do, I for one am going to support them in every area. The more needless criticsm handed out, the less productive it becomes.

TheStub

It would appear that the Echo are trying to create something out of some very level statements from the club.

The sentiment of the "Official Statement" is what we should expect is going on behind the scenes. We have an owner putting in money and effort, and he is expecting results. So he has confidence in his coaching team, but doesn't have infinite patients; in related news the sun will raise tomorrow morning, and the sky is blue.

I really don't like these rants from the Devils. They make the team look amateur. A clear statement without all the snide comments would have been much better. Also, as the quality of the journalism covering the team is so poor (has been for years) then there is a case for putting out a Monday morning article about "building on Sunday's success, coach and management meeting, working together to improve results with a strong squad".

Even better, put it out as a press release and give the blogs and Echo something to base the articles (plural - on many outlets) on, and remove Terry's power to get the fans riled up over nothing.

voth26 said:
Ive been critical of Ragan at times but this statement is crystal clear and honest, and not as dramatic as first reported!!, we all need to turn up on sunday and cheer and support the guys and hopefully the team will respond, play well and get the win.
Where did you get "Sunday" from - Wales Online ?

It would be better to turn up on Saturday to cheer and support the guys - unless you are going to Edinburgh on Sunday !

Note that it says "Brent Pope will not be PLAYER coach", says nothing about not being head coach though?
I agree the statement answers some questions, but I can't help but think that the whole truth is not being told?

TheStub

houdini said:
Note that it says "Brent Pope will not be PLAYER coach", says nothing about not being head coach though?
I agree the statement answers some questions, but I can't help but think that the whole truth is not being told?
Why must it be a conspiracy? The whole thing is really badly worded - and you think there is any word play at all.

Let's be frank, if the performances continue why would we expect Adams to still be in post? I think the club invite this level of "ah, but if you count the third letter of every 4th word it tells us that we are being bought by Claude Lemieux".

I wouldn't expect the club to tell us the whole truth. That is confidential trading and tactical information that would, probably, be of benefit to other teams or detract from ticket sales. Why do we assume we have a right to know "exactly what is going on"?

TheStub said:
houdini said:
Why must it be a conspiracy? The whole thing is really badly worded - and you think there is any word play at all.

Let's be frank, if the performances continue why would we expect Adams to still be in post? I think the club invite this level of "ah, but if you count the third letter of every 4th word it tells us that we are being bought by Claude Lemieux".

I wouldn't expect the club to tell us the whole truth. That is confidential trading and tactical information that would, probably, be of benefit to other teams or detract from ticket sales. Why do we assume we have a right to know "exactly what is going on"?
I get your point, maybe I'm looking too much into it. He could've put everyone's mind at rest and said "Brent pope will not coach the cardiff devils", that silences everyone then.
I agree that if results do not improve then a reshuffle is needed, but I would hope for someone with a lot better coaching ability than Brent Pope????

If somebody bloody moans about Brent Pope on here one more time Im going to scream. It was all speculation made up by members and there warped little minds! G hasn't been sacked, Brent hasn't been offered the job, We don't even know if G went Brent would be offered the job. We don't even know if he was offered the job wether he'd take it. Its all speculation!!!

DevilDom

phildavies21 said:
If somebody bloody moans about Brent Pope on here one more time Im going to scream. It was all speculation made up by members and there warped little minds! G hasn't been sacked, Brent hasn't been offered the job, We don't even know if G went Brent would be offered the job. We don't even know if he was offered the job wether he'd take it. Its all speculation!!!
Brent Pope. :Banana

Ocko

I don't know why everyone thinks Brent Pope is trying to oust G. Why would he want to step down from MD. He's a higher position than head coach and has a much easier job. Why leave his nice bubble at Paul Ragan's side to be in the firing line as the coach?! Also, his commentary duties with BBC would present another reason he could do it.

Everyone just always thinks there's a conspiracy going on. I think Brent loves the club, he's always come back here and has made Cardiff his home there is no reason why he wouldn't have the club at heart.

Also, I think we assume we have a right to know everything as fans of this club, and that the club have to justify themselves to us. You'd never get this with any other sports organisation, like football or rugby but I think people insist on being close to the inner workings of the club and like to gossip about what they find out. I just watch the Devils for the hockey and team on the ice, I've never cared about who owns the club as long as the team is competitive, I couldn't care less about supporters clubs and would never join. I think those close to the club and supporters club who insist moaning about our ownership on here are just poisonous to the club developing. No matter what is posted on here, twitter etc the ownership and management won't change for anything other than PR's own personal decision so you won't win this battle.

It would be nice if the bitter people watched hockey for the real reasons like the game itself rather than the politics.

Have Hope#35

Ocko said:
I don't know why everyone thinks Brent Pope is trying to oust G. Why would he want to step down from MD. He's a higher position than head coach and has a much easier job. Why leave his nice bubble at Paul Ragan's side to be in the firing line as the coach?! Also, his commentary duties with BBC would present another reason he could do it.

Everyone just always thinks there's a conspiracy going on. I think Brent loves the club, he's always come back here and has made Cardiff his home there is no reason why he wouldn't have the club at heart.

Also, I think we assume we have a right to know everything as fans of this club, and that the club have to justify themselves to us. You'd never get this with any other sports organisation, like football or rugby but I think people insist on being close to the inner workings of the club and like to gossip about what they find out. I just watch the Devils for the hockey and team on the ice, I've never cared about who owns the club as long as the team is competitive, I couldn't care less about supporters clubs and would never join. I think those close to the club and supporters club who insist moaning about our ownership on here are just poisonous to the club developing. No matter what is posted on here, twitter etc the ownership and management won't change for anything other than PR's own personal decision so you won't win this battle.

It would be nice if the bitter people watched hockey for the real reasons like the game itself rather than the politics.
Great post... I couldn't agree more!

Ocko

And just to confirm that there was no ultimatum or G gets fired, check out the link below 49 mins in. This is what Walesonline got the information and quotes from.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b03bvncj

Pope actually praises G and Franny and defends the results because of the Lacosta injury. Sooo how many people will take Walesonline's version as gospel again? How many pages over hugely exaggerated and untrue journalism? :DWD

Stand down with the pitchforks until another day anti-Ragan posters, no conspiracy here to see here!

Anyway I'm off to buy the Sun, to find out some real truth because the truth is always in a tabloid! :lol:

ASHIPP

bluedevil said:
That clears things up...I don't know why PR is wishing Belfast luck for Saturday though?
But it doesn't clear things up and close down the debate does it?

Read very carefully in one of the middle sections that coaching changes might still be made ifresults dont improve down the line.

And STILL talking about challenging for the league title! PR shares the same dreams that we do for our team......but do the maths. The most consistent team with minimal losses is
usually the League champion. Devils have already lost 3 league games in the first month. A And 2 of those were against non-arena teams. .Nottingham and Belfast are already demonstrating the consistency required to be the Champions.

If Devils can do well in the other competitions it will at least provide extra revenue for the Clu b. And fans would be happy.