GAME OFF

matbur

No idea what happened, but it is feasible that they did previous tests and they came back negative. Dundee wouldn't be too pleased to have made this pointless journey.

MA18

Completely agree.... I also travelled an hour with two excited kids who found out I was fortunate enough to buy 4 tickets late this afternoon. For the club to announce the decision that late in the day is very poor management and treatment of their supporters if the rumours are true about it bieng a result of a Covid test just before the game.

Why couldn't the test have been completed earlier today and then the sale of tickets could have been postponed and the supporters made aware not to travel unnecessarily.

Frustrated just like the rest of you, however, I am concerned as to what this now means going forward with the season.
I’d imagine tests were done before leaving and on arrival.

Agree it’s very inconvenient, especially with kids in the car but I’m sure if Dundee could have turned the bus around earlier or the devils knew they would have informed us.
No benefit to either team messing everyone around and delaying making the call.

I’d imagine tests were done before leaving and on arrival.

Agree it’s very inconvenient, especially with kids in the car but I’m sure if Dundee could have turned the bus around earlier or the devils knew they would have informed us.
No benefit to either team messing everyone around and delaying making the call.
Bottom line is health and wellbeing take complete priority over whether or not a game is played for both the players/staff and supporters. I do feel however that this could have been managed a lot better not only by the teams but the EIHL in general. But...... I also understand that unfortunately as we are learning about these things and how to manage them it also constantly evolves and situations can arise even when you think you have covered all basis. One thing I do understand is that the club(s) will only make the difficult decision to suspend a game when absolutely necessary and unavoidable no matter how late in the day that is.

I just hope that all involved make a full and quick recovery.

Wannabe2

Completely agree.... I also travelled an hour with two excited kids who found out I was fortunate enough to buy 4 tickets late this afternoon. For the club to announce the decision that late in the day is very poor management and treatment of their supporters if the rumours are true about it bieng a result of a Covid test just before the game.

Why couldn't the test have been completed earlier today and then the sale of tickets could have been postponed and the supporters made aware not to travel unnecessarily.

Frustrated just like the rest of you, however, I am concerned as to what this now means going forward with the season.
Apparently the Stars travelled yesterday, maybe yesterday they were all fine and things changed at some time in Cardiff, how Devils can be at fault is anybodys guess, you can only put out the bad news when you get it, and that’s exactly what they did.

Apparently the Stars travelled yesterday, maybe yesterday they were all fine and things changed at some time in Cardiff, how Devils can be at fault is anybodys guess, you can only put out the bad news when you get it, and that’s exactly what they did.
I still think this could have been managed earlier in the day as apose to minutes before a 7:30pm face off.

MA18

I still think this could have been managed earlier in the day as apose to minutes before a 7:30pm face off.
Twitter page updated at 6:30 so an hour before FO.
Do you really think if the issue was known earlier they’d hold back telling people?
A decision that late in the day has probably cost the devils with match night staff already turning up for shifts as well as being an inconvenience for us lot. Just a very unfortunate situation all round.

Twitter page updated at 6:30 so an hour before FO.
Do you really think if the issue was known earlier they’d hold back telling people?
A decision that late in the day has probably cost the devils with match night staff already turning up for shifts as well as being an inconvenience for us lot. Just a very unfortunate situation all round.
And their website?!? And whilst your mentioning about times the FB page was updated 6:31pm so as I said Minutes before the 7:30 face off.

Just saying maybe lessons could be learned that is all. If you were to read my other post you would see that I have already mentioned the above points such as finances, staff etc. Also.... FYI I do not blame the Cardiff Devils Organisation..... It appears that the EIHL were the ones that put Dundee on Covid Restrictions and thankfully they did to save others contracting it, however, I still believe that they could have acted sooner. Whether that is right or wrong is what is debated.

OJLloyd

I’d take the twitter rumour with extreme caution about restrictions coming in Friday - it seems to have stemmed from one WhatsApp message.
As another poster has said, there are often some who find out pieces of information here and there - I haven’t heard anything though I usually do when something is happening.

As for the game, it’s really unfortunate. The club did everything right. I also feel a bit for Dundee players/fans who now face a rather horrible journey back home with nothing to show for it.

Temme

And their website?!? And whilst your mentioning about times the FB page was updated 6:31pm so as I said Minutes before the 7:30 face off.

Just saying maybe lessons could be learned that is all. If you were to read my other post you would see that I have already mentioned the above points such as finances, staff etc. Also.... FYI I do not blame the Cardiff Devils Organisation..... It appears that the EIHL were the ones that put Dundee on Covid Restrictions and thankfully they did to save others contracting it, however, I still believe that they could have acted sooner. Whether that is right or wrong is what is debated.
So my understanding is that Dundee travelled Tuesday & stayed in a hotel Tuesday night.

No testing was completed prior to travel Tuesday.
Upon arrival at the rink, they were given lateral flow tests and had positive results.

I guess the learning from this, quite clearly, for a sport that relies on it's fans - is this testing needs to take place at a far more reasonable time prior to face-off so that it doesn't affect travel, staffing etc - but it's a learning curve for everyone.

Thoughts with Dundee, a smaller club that will have forked out on travel & hotels for seemingly no reason - however, common sense would surely dictate that they take tests BEFORE travelling down.

august04 2.0

So my understanding is that Dundee travelled Tuesday & stayed in a hotel Tuesday night.

No testing was completed prior to travel Tuesday.
Upon arrival at the rink, they were given lateral flow tests and had positive results.

I guess the learning from this, quite clearly, for a sport that relies on it's fans - is this testing needs to take place at a far more reasonable time prior to face-off so that it doesn't affect travel, staffing etc - but it's a learning curve for everyone.

Thoughts with Dundee, a smaller club that will have forked out on travel & hotels for seemingly no reason - however, common sense would surely dictate that they take tests BEFORE travelling down.
If that’s true, it is unbelievable that they didn’t test prior to travel. Or failing that, test earlier on the day of the game not when they arrive 90 minutes before face off. That’s just idiotic. They should forfeit the tie for their sheer stupidity alone.

Devil94

So they would have arrived home Monday morning, one night at home before the bus trip all over again. Makes me feel travel sickness just thinking about it.

kingmo19.1

So they would have arrived home Monday morning, one night at home before the bus trip all over again. Makes me feel travel sickness just thinking about it.
And had they had beaten us under those circumstances, a few people would have some serious questions to answer!

BostonBart22

If that’s true, it is unbelievable that they didn’t test prior to travel. Or failing that, test earlier on the day of the game not when they arrive 90 minutes before face off. That’s just idiotic. They should forfeit the tie for their sheer stupidity alone.
Didnt arrive 90 mins before, they were there at 5pm which makes it strange they didnt have a test around 5.30 which fans couldve known earlier.

Pembo

Was a bit gutted as had driven down after work from Pembrokeshire. When I heard about panthers I was a bit uncertain whether to risk it but assumed they would have known before game sheets submitted if we’re going to encounter issues with COVID protocols. Good chance to catch up on 4 hours of podcasts was the silver lining!

The most important thing that comes out of this is that the Devils have no plans in place to advise ticket holders of last minute cancellations. The need is now obvious and I expect them to have something in place by the next home game. Saturday I believe.