GENERAL - Continental Cup Final 2024

Pondlife

THE BREAK – Between the two games each day, we will need time to completely clear the arena of all spectators in order to do a quick clean up, re-stock the stalls, bar and toilets, and re-scan tickets to make sure everyone coming back in has tickets for the second game.

Gazza272

I am not able to get time off work to make it down to Cardiff and am hoping that there will be streaming coverage available for as many of the Continental Cup Final games as possible. The IIHF Youtube channel does not have any of these games up yet as future events (and does for other IIHF games on the 12th) hopefully they will appear or the club will be streaming games and is leaving it to the last minute to announce.

We will be streaming every game this weekend, details on the devils website now. :)

Devil94

Why have the other rounds been free on YouTube, but this one is not? Hopefully we haven't bought the rights to make money instead of giving fans a free option to watch..?

Swarley

Didn't the steelers try charging for the games when they were in the conti cup and get absolutely slammed by all eihl fans for being money grabbing douche bags?

I'm at a couple of the games this weekend but would of liked to see some of the others on YouTube... ah well

moggy#9

Didn't the steelers try charging for the games when they were in the conti cup and get absolutely slammed by all eihl fans for being money grabbing douche bags?

I'm at a couple of the games this weekend but would of liked to see some of the others on YouTube... ah well
Didn't the club charge last season too? I guess that the production staff don't work for free.

Swarley

Hmm, I could have sworn that I remember paying for the stream of the semis in cardiff.
I'm not 100% sure if we had to pay for it last time, if we did I don't remember it, but I do remember steelers getting absolutely ripped apart for charging fans to watch the stream when they were in it

I'd assume it's a mixture of rights issues and geo-locking in the host country so as not to cannibalise ticket sales, while also recouping part of the cost of providing the YouTube stream. I'm assuming of course that the host is responsible for providing the stream and that it'll remain free for the rest of Europe.

Finny

I'm not 100% sure if we had to pay for it last time, if we did I don't remember it, but I do remember steelers getting absolutely ripped apart for charging fans to watch the stream when they were in it
Yes, but it was slightly different circumstances.

Sheffield were playing away, but they bought/obtained the rights for the streams in the UK. And they then charged their fans to access it.

My memory is a bit hazy on it but I think they might have then added their own commentary over the top to try to validate charging as I think it was accessible for free in other countries?

Is there a general consensus on who will be the hardest game/ biggest challengers for the weekend? To me, no reason we can't beat Nomad now we know what to expect, but unfortunately know next to nothing about the other two's quality. Cheers all here's to what should be a great weekend

moggy#9

I think that was a bit different though as the event was hosted elsewhere (ie they had no costs) and if they hadn't bought the rights the coverage would have been FoC.

Finny

I think all 4 teams will go in believing they can win.
I would make Nomad Astana slight favourites, depending on who they bring from their vast roster. They beat us in the previous round (despite us actually outplaying them for long spells?) are having a decent season domestically and teams from Kazakkstan tend to do well in the tournament.

Herning finished 2nd a couple of years ago and were probably favourites for their group in the previous round. But they looked to be heading out after losing to Cortina only for the hosts to blow a big lead to the Hungarian team. They are second in the Danish league though.

Katowice topped the other group, have 8 different nationalities in their roster and are currently running away with the league title in Poland. Traditionally, the Polish teams haven't done that well in tournament until Cracovia won it 2 years ago. Previous to that Katowice had Poland's best result when they finished 3rd in Belfast. Worth pointing out that they beat Belfast 4-2 in the earlier round before Belfast gained revenge in the final round - and that was arguably one of the best Belfast teams.

moggy#9

These games are going to be fascinating. Hopefully the complacent attitude of the previous round will have been shaken out of the devils and they'll be on their game.

A big factor will be how these games are called. Does anyone know what officials have been allocated to the weekend?

Finny

These games are going to be fascinating. Hopefully the complacent attitude of the previous round will have been shaken out of the devils and they'll be on their game.

A big factor will be how these games are called. Does anyone know what officials have been allocated to the weekend?
For this afternoon's game it is a French and a Hungarian referee and a Swiss and an Italian linesperson.