Giants have signed...

Thread starter #1
Stephen Murphy. What does everybody think about this?
To be honest, I would prefer Lyle to Murphy. Just expecting for belfast to sign up one hell of a D now or I feel he will get even more criticism than Lyle got.
As for the free import slot, I think that it may have been "wasted" as to say. I have watched McMorrow for a few seasons on the internet etc. He's a tough cookie, I just feel that they should have filled the extra slot with an enforcer who can put some decent points up aswell as drop 'em.
However, I would still have liked to have seen McMorrow in a Cardiff shirt as I feel he is going to be a real entertainer.

Koop11

I think this highlights that we really do have the negotiation power to take players from other clubs. Murphy is a decent enough goalie in his own right but its probably widely agreed that Lyle is the stronger of the two.

I think the fact that Belfast's desire to still have a British goalie suggests that we offered Lyle an excellent package. Let's face it, Belfast are happy to splash the cash on players and this move is a sign that we're competing with the big boys in the recruiting department.

Along with G, Thornton clearly believes in the Brit goalie and extra import route.
I tend to think we have the better of the 2 goalies.
Last year Giants built a great attacking team if front of Stevie. I suspect they will do this again this year, whereas I think we will continue with the tight defence style.
So with Devils and Giants seeming to be using similar team structures in very different ways, Im already really interested to see who comes out on top between us next season.

As much as I think we have become much more attractive to players, and we may have better packages to offer incoming players, I still think that Lyle would have made the first move in his signing for cardiff. He has family here, G has openly said before about where he ranks Lyle in the grand scheme of things, I would bet that Stevie lowered his demands in order to come here.

Everyone seem to be putting Belfast down with this signing, I still think they'll be there or thereabouts.

Koop11 said:
...... Murphy is a decent enough goalie in his own right but its probably widely agreed that Lyle is the stronger of the two. quote]

"widely agreed"....by who exactly?
The majority of Devils' fans maybe. But certainly not Belfast or Manchester fans......nor would I expect by the majority of 'neutral' ice hockey viewers!

schulersagoodun said:
Koop11 said:
...... Murphy is a decent enough goalie in his own right but its probably widely agreed that Lyle is the stronger of the two. quote]

umm, nearly every Belfast fan I've spoken to, Paul Thompson and the GB coaching squad, just about everyone I've spoken to bar the Manchester fans, and even those are split 50/50.

Thread starter #8
What a post! :lol:
I think you'd find that most hockey fans would say Lyle is the better of the two
and it's obviously true as he was selected #1 for GB over Murphy untill Lehman came into the picture.

I don't know if 'schulersagoodun' is just giving another negative post because we've signed a nettie who he/she doesnt like or is just being stupid.

Koop11

schulersagoodun said:
Koop11 said:

The majority of Devils' fans maybe. But certainly not Belfast or Manchester fans......nor would I expect by the majority of 'neutral' ice hockey viewers!
Its been pointed out already but just to answer you directly, most fans who I have spoken across the UK say Lyle is the UK's number one goalie, therefore making him better than Murphy. Look at the other forums and its suggests most fans think Lyle is better. Paul Thompson, GB head coach, has picked Lyle over Murphy in every big game. Also, the fact that Lyle has a a lot more winners medals at higher levels than Murphy as well.

So, its certainly fair to say widely agreed. Perhaps you can prove otherwise with some evidence to back up your view up.

seriously schulersagoodun? i mean seriously? you think murphy is a better nettie than lyle? I do look forward to the day you post something positive on this forum.

Murphy or Lyle ? It is like arguing about whether Fosters or Carling is better whilst your Chav friend is slipping his vintage Danish Champagne :roll: :cool:

Finny

Slipping?

:lol:

I've never liked Champagne. Over-priced and not really that good. I prefer good old british/canadian Carling.

Plus of course - there can never be such a thing as Danish Champagne. For sparkling wine to be called Champagne - it has to be made in the Champagne region. Which is in France. Not Denmark.

You have at least given me a good laugh this morning J.B.
Ignore those who call for you to be banned. As long as I am here you will always be able to cheer me up with posts on this forum.

Thread starter #17
To be fair to J.B on this one.
I think he was refering to the fact that Hirsch is Danish and using champagne to symbolise his skills. Hence the phrase "Danish Champagne". Implying that Hirsch is going to be the best netminder in the league.
Whereas he is using Carling and Fosters to symbolise Lyle and Murphy's skills. Implying that they are fairly average netminders.

Either way he is still trying to cause a stir and gloat about Coventry, yet again.
I don't know if I've looked to deep into things or what :lol:

Finny

scottydoesntknow said:
To be fair to J.B on this one.
I think he was refering to the fact that Hirsch is Danish and using champagne to symbolise his skills. Hence the phrase "Danish Champagne". Implying that Hirsch is going to be the best netminder in the league.
Whereas he is using Carling and Fosters to symbolise Lyle and Murphy's skills. Implying that they are fairly average netminders.

Either way he is still trying to cause a stir and gloat about Coventry, yet again.
I don't know if I've looked to deep into things or what :lol:
I know what J.B. was trying to say. But they have made themselves once again look an ass by messing it up.

According to a couple of people on THF though - Coventry's new netminder is coming towards the end of his career and was released by his previous club after a very poor season.

So basically the Chavs are drinking a bottle of Danish Lambrini past its best before date. ;)

yeah scotty we did get were he was coming from :p, im liking the danish lambrini :lol: i'd take our carling over his lambrini myself :) means we get to have an extra vintage whisky out front :D

Thread starter #20
Ahh good :lol:
I was wondering how noone had picked up on it.
yeah I've heard that to.
No doubt about it, in his day he was a top goalie. well thats what his stats suggest anyway.
but as many people have said, he is on his way out, so if he ever was champagne, I'd say he's gone a bit flat now :D