Giants v Devils - Wed 16th @ 19:00 - Chat/Updates

IMHO I think we lack composure at times. In tennis stats they show the number of unforced errors and this I think hurts us. The 2nd goal a classic example. Why Hotham chose to flip the puck I guess only he can say, but there was no pressure on him to do that with other outlets available.

august04

ASHIPP said:
That's sport for you! Heroes as the weekend to zero three days later.

There were defensive errors and lapses in concentration tonight that affected the scoreline.
. But if you are playing with an injury you are not going to play with intensity. Anyone who has suffered an injury in a fast contact sport will drop their intensity to avoid agrivating the injury further.

Devils couldn't play their spare player because he's carrying a recurring injury. Funny no-one was complaining about our team's lack of intensity and nastiness when the Devils were top
of the league.
Actually, I think that's probably been the biggest concern throughout the season, even when we were top! Go through the game threads and I'm sure lack of physicality, lack of aggressive forecheck, outmuscled etc would be fairly common observations, particularly in the second half of the season.

jimmy snels

august04 said:
ASHIPP said:
That's sport for you! Heroes as the weekend to zero three days later.

There were defensive errors and lapses in concentration tonight that affected the scoreline.
. But if you are playing with an injury you are not going to play with intensity. Anyone who has suffered an injury in a fast contact sport will drop their intensity to avoid agrivating the injury further.

Devils couldn't play their spare player because he's carrying a recurring injury. Funny no-one was complaining about our team's lack of intensity and nastiness when the Devils were top
of the league.
Actually, I think that's probably been the biggest concern throughout the season, even when we were top! Go through the game threads and I'm sure lack of physicality, lack of aggressive forecheck, outmuscled etc would be fairly common observations, particularly in the second half of the season.
Wouldn't disagree with that +1

jimmy snels

Johnnybravo1927 said:
He was very vocal about not liking us and refered to us on twitter as clowns. I thought he made himself look foolish on sunday when he blatantly went after Hendo and didnt win. Overated as a player and as a person
He attempted to belittle me on twitter then when i joked back blocked me a couple of days ago. Guy is a bit unprofessional to be honest

Finny

jimmy snels said:
Finny: We were 2nd best sunday no doubt. I personally think we've lost something, motivation, attitude, intensity?! Not sure what it is but what made us top was hard work, physical play and sticking up for your team mates. To much fannying about and to many lions playing like flamingos! Im devastated how we've gone, it was ours to lose... and we might very well have snatched defeat from the jaws of victory.

I notice again you offer no actual opinion on anything, care to tell us your thoughts or just talk about mine (AGAIN :roll: )
I didn't see the game, but according to comments I've seen from Belfast fans and players Murphy had a great night.

For me, to say we bottled it is an easy cliche. And wrong.

I do think some fans expecting us to carry over our crash/bang/wallop hockey into IAW are in for a shock next season. It's fine pointing out players like Lloyd and Keefe but I thought they were both pretty anonymous over the weekend.
And if those two players were so great they wouldn't be below us in the league.

august04

Finny said:
jimmy snels said:
Finny: We were 2nd best sunday no doubt. I personally think we've lost something, motivation, attitude, intensity?! Not sure what it is but what made us top was hard work, physical play and sticking up for your team mates. To much fannying about and to many lions playing like flamingos! Im devastated how we've gone, it was ours to lose... and we might very well have snatched defeat from the jaws of victory.

I notice again you offer no actual opinion on anything, care to tell us your thoughts or just talk about mine (AGAIN :roll: )
I didn't see the game, but according to comments I've seen from Belfast fans and players Murphy had a great night.

For me, to say we bottled it is an easy cliche. And wrong.

I do think some fans expecting us to carry over our crash/bang/wallop hockey into IAW are in for a shock next season. It's fine pointing out players like Lloyd and Keefe but I thought they were both pretty anonymous over the weekend.
And if those two players were so great they wouldn't be below us in the league.
I saw the game Finny. Murphy wasn't the reason we lost trust me. He was the less busy of the goaltenders. And we haven't been playing crash, bang, wallop hockey all season. There's a place for a high energy, physical line on big ice too, as Nottingham showed in the CC final. We don't have it and haven't all year.

Very flat performance tonight - quite a lot at stake also!

Lack of on-ice leadership has been the problem for me - Coincidence things dropped off following Tyson's injury!

We can't blame the result tonight on Darnell!

Just to put everything into perspective, we have totally bottled it!
WE HAVE LOST 6 OF OUR LAST 9 GAMES!!
-which have included a cup final and the crucial run in for the league.

We're now relying on Nottingham to do us a favour, while praying we can gather some sort of form together to see us out for the remainder of the season.

I totally agree with some of the posts above, and just to say as a side note - its hard to point out the negatives of a team when they win!

I feel as though we are really lacking that nasty streak which we have been known for over the years. Who cares about IAW, other teams are better at dishing it out to us on our own ice half the time, so there's no excuse when it comes to bigger ice.

Hotham for me has been really touch and go lately, whereas last season he was probably my top priority re-signing when it came to the imports. I know he's good for a lot of points, but equally he's cost us quite a few times this season and he's no where near as high on my list for this off season.

...I'm disappointed, but I'm going to stop now before I get chastised for posting a negative opinion.

Rich Best

Dissapointing to lose, I thought we looked good the first 10 minutes. I still think 2 wins will see us champions. Always thought 4 of the last 5 would do us.

It is not like I particularly dislike the negative on this forum, but the lack of positive is a bit grinding. Not very balanced. We are still a very good team and have had a very good season whatever happens.

Oh and Nickerson blocked me on Twitter too. Obviously can't take a bit of banter. I just pointed out how hendrikx got the best punch in on Sunday - a good left to the beard. Good character pity he can't take the banter, just likes to give it. Bit like his fighting.

backrow

scottydoesntknow, I wasn't trying to blame Darnell for the loss but the non call and terrible call, I mentioned certainly took away from the game. I'd love to know what Hudson and Fournier thought about both plays!

I do agree that the team hasn't played as physical as fans would like but I think the repeated defensive zone turnovers and the lack of success of the power play have been of even greater concern. In the last 7 games, the power play has been successful only 5 out of 35 chances.

Koop11

I watched the game and it defined our performances over the last month. Lack of intensity going forward. No fore check, no physicality, not getting in defencemen and the goalie’s face and consequently Murphy saw the majority of the rubber quite easily.

We haven’t looked like a championship winning team, even on the weekend when we picked up those maximum points against Belfast. We were second best for a large part of this series 3 game series.

Its Sheffield’s to lose now so the pressure shifts and Nottingham at home and Fife away are no easy fixtures but the Steelers are a team who know how to win championships and they have been offered this lifeline by us because of an awful end to the season.

We’re in the mix going into the last weekend of the season once again. It really does show how far we have come and believe me I am both grateful and proud. At the same time I feel disappointed.

Wannabe2

I didn't really expect to win last night, but to be honest with so much at stake I thought we would have run them closer. Giants are a very good team, but we lost all the battles last night including the physical one, Nickerson seemed to run the show that's how poor it was, but losing 7 out of your last 9 really doesn't deserve to win a championship. Think some players need to reflect on there latest performances which in fairness have been very poor. Anyway that's that of my chest, hope we have a good summer.

As a steeler I am obviously delighted that the giants did us a huge favour last night but it wasn't expected. One thing mentioned was that maybe the devils request for a review on peacock backfired and his ban gave the giants something to focus on in what was a game with nothing to play for in their view.
In respect to negativity on the forum you will find all are the same. Its plain human nature and the same is seen on The Cage, Steeltalk and others. On steeltalk we have game threads with 3-4 pages for wins while losses extend to 10 plus pages.
This race is not over as steelers do have a recent history of either not showing up in a big home game with a full barn or by losing a so called lesser game after a big win the night before.
In respect to the devils, it does look from the outside that the club is striding forward. For the last few year you have been very close to the big prize and added a cup along the way. Now with your new ownership and a shiny new facility to play in the devils will be a major force in this league for many years. Whatever the weekends results your fan base has more reasons than most to be smiling.

osh

Wannabe2 said:
I didn't really expect to win last night, but to be honest with so much at stake I thought we would have run them closer. Giants are a very good team, but we lost all the battles last night including the physical one, Nickerson seemed to run the show that's how poor it was, but losing 7 out of your last 9 really doesn't deserve to win a championship. Think some players need to reflect on there latest performances which in fairness have been very poor. Anyway that's that of my chest, hope we have a good summer.
Well, I for one know how hard that was for you to post, but an honest statement it has to be said.
I said weeks ago when others on here were demeaning Sheffield that they have a way of grafting and getting results that ultimately win championships and we are now in the situation where we are relying on others to do us favours. Never underestimate them. I am not altogether sure whether we have the capability of even getting through to the play off finals tbh. I also have to say that I have been unhappy with a few players this season, namely Hotham, Hudson and the much vaunted Fournier. They all have great ability but first and foremost, they are D men who struggle to defend. Hotham is not half the player he was last year, maybe that title of best D man got to him in the wrong way and overconfidence set in, good going forward, but a liability at the back giving possession away far too easily and not clearing his own D zone by doing the simple thing instead of pratting around with poor passes in a critical area. Hudson skates well, but is another who has been caught out many times by forwards pressing him in our own D zone. Fournier is another who likes to be flamboyant as opposed to doing the simple things. Basically, we have 4 D men ( those 3 mentioned plus Richie) who are too alike, and make no mistake, my first priority signing would be Richie. He does the simple things well, hardly ever gets caught in possession and does well when he goes forward sensibily. For next season give me Batch, Hendrikx, Richie and another big D man who can handle himself and look after team mates ( Hotham, Hudson & Fournier steer well clear of any aggro )
So it's a choice of keeping either Hudson or Hotham or both and get 2 new aggressive D men who opponents won't like to go into corners with knowing they are gong to get hit hard. ( Fournier already signed for nest season I understand ). We will have an increased player budget next season so hopefully we can sort out our problematic D area first and foremost. Finally, win our last 2 games and Steelers lose one, we are champions, but my thoughts will still be the same no matter what.

Diafol

As Wannabe said - 2 wins from 9 isn't exactly title-winning form.

Yes we need a miracle but then so did the USA in 1980...

Finny

Not sure where this 2 wins from 9 has come from.

We've won 4 of our last 9 games. Not great admittedly but not the complete collapse people are suggesting.

At the risk of getting shot down, a lot people on here have mentioned tiredness/fatigue as being a factor and I'd agree that on a few occasions the Devils have looked a bit tired in games where their opponents have not. The schedules for the teams, particularly in our conference, can't be that different and everyone has to travel so for me it's not really something we should be falling down on. Is it worth for the Devils management to bring in a conditioning coach on a full-time basis? I know Hudson takes care of that side of things, and credit to him for doing that, but he is first and foremost a player. Perhaps it would benefit the team to have someone dedicated in that role instead of trying to cover everything with what you have available.

matbur

Couple of questions as a relatively new supporter of the Devils and the EIHL:

What has the most prestige, winning the title or winning the playoffs? The league format is pretty flawed in that respect in my opinion.

Are the players generally signed on one-year deals and are they full-time professional or just train once or twice a week around their game schedule?

It does seem the D is unbalanced with too many offensive-minded players with, at times, questionable decision-making.

It's always tough when a team are so close but unable to see a job through so understand some of the negativity here. It's not over yet though and the organisation seems in great shape regardless of how we finish this season. Onwards and upwards!

Wannabe2

matbur said:
Couple of questions as a relatively new supporter of the Devils and the EIHL:

What has the most prestige, winning the title or winning the playoffs? The league format is pretty flawed in that respect in my opinion.

Are the players generally signed on one-year deals and are they full-time professional or just train once or twice a week around their game schedule?

It does seem the D is unbalanced with too many offensive-minded players with, at times, questionable decision-making.

It's always tough when a team are so close but unable to see a job through so understand some of the negativity here. It's not over yet though and the organisation seems in great shape regardless of how we finish this season. Onwards and upwards!
The league is the most prestigious although I the play -offs are pretty neat, players usually are signed on one year contracts, although That can be 2 or possibly longer, they are full time pro,s,