Giants Vs Devils - League - 11 Nov 23 - FO 19:00

moggy#9

No goalie is perfect. I expect Besko will be back on top form soon enough & Belfast will remain a very difficult team to score against because of it. I know some Giants fans had a bit of meltdown at the loss last night, but as we saw last season their average start to the season turned into a dominant second half title run & I fully expect them to be right up there come the end of the season. As for the Devils it's hard go say. Top performance last night but I don't think our consistency is right where it needs to be to win the league. We need to find another gear.
Of course the giants always seem to benefit from a liberal interpretation of rules, a favourable run in and their local laptops.

Besky is of course an excellent goalie (making the CHL all star team proves that), but eventually age and burnout will get to him.

Slartibartfast

Last night was far from a poor performance from them though! If it wasn’t for Bowns having a blinder it could have been ugly although I obviously agree with the sentiment that Keefe won’t hesitate to make changes if he feels it necessary
In the interview Keefe seemed happy with their performance and to be fair they dominated for most of the game. The SOG look accurate to me but Bowns was in fine form. We also defended quite well clearing most of the loose pucks. The only thing Keefe could be unhappy about was their finishing as they missed the goal many times.

Belfast are the best team I have seen so far and we found a way to win. It was a hard fought ugly win and I think we may not take many points of them in their own barn this season but its encouraging that we found a way. Its great to see us sat at the top of the league where we belong but its going to hell of a mission staying there. This league is looking very strong this year.

Hedd Wyn John

I agree with pretty much everything there, but I’m not sure if the comment about consistency if fair?

We‘ve won 9 out of our last 10 games.
We‘ve played 16 competitive games so far and won 12 out of them.

To compare that to our two league winning seasons :
2016-17: 11 from 16
2017-18: 10 from 16

Very early stages obviously, but there is a lot to be optimistic about IMO.
I'm only focusing on league games. Currently we've got 14 points after 10 games played or 0.700 , I think we are going to need more than a 0.700 points percentage to win the league.

If I'm not mistaken in 17-18 the winning points percentage was 0.758

In 16-17 the winning points percentage was 0.723

In 18-19 the Giants won with 0.766

In 21-22 the Giants won with 0.814 and last year they won with 0.777.

Now it certainly isn't impossible to win the league with more than 0.700 & I'm sure someone on this forum will dig out examples to show where thats happened However looking at recent trends - we are looking at league winners with points percentage north of 0.700

We know Belfast have a favourable run in the second half of the season and in my view Sheffield is on of the strongest I've seen them have in years. Naturally I hope both teams flop & we win it.

moggy#9

I think it would be interesting be to look at progress towards those league winning stats month by month. I certainly think that would show some ebb and flow in the numbers. There's also some disparity around who has played who.

I'm generally happy with where we are (as long as our traditional november slump doesn't materialise) and, injuries allowing, I'm very happy with our team. Meanwhile Belfast seem ready to jettison a couple of players.

Hedd Wyn John

I think it would be interesting be to look at progress towards those league winning stats month by month. I certainly think that would show some ebb and flow in the numbers. There's also some disparity around who has played who.

I'm generally happy with where we are (as long as our traditional november slump doesn't materialise) and, injuries allowing, I'm very happy with our team. Meanwhile Belfast seem ready to jettison a couple of players.
Of course there's ebbs and flows and yes comparing with previous seasons is difficult as fixture orders can really affect the stats. All I'm saying is that is based on our overall league consistency currently I think we need to be a bit better with our consistency to win the league. We had that subdued away game a little while back in Nottingham & that quiet home game vs Manchester. We have the quality players that I know we could have won those games. League winners find ways to grind out wins in those types of games.

Sheffield over the last few seasons have started strong and then dropped off towards the end. Well eventually I suppose at some point there'll be a season where that tail off doesn't happen. Given how strong they look as a team right now, this season could be THAT the year. So given that we are currently behind them in points percentage we are gonna have to up our game. We can't assume they'll drop off. (Though I hope they do).

As for Belfast well, we're ahead of them which is great but with a favourable late season run-in that could easily change. Plus I wouldn't be surprised if they bring in a pile of players like they did last year which basically turned their season around.

So all-in all, we are heading in the right direction but I still think we'll need to get that consistency higher. Just my two pence.

BostonBart22

Nottingham seemed to put on a bit of a roll before that incident, only lost 1 in the lge same as Sheffield, devils lost 3 so far, with all what went on would love to see Nottingham take a trophy at some point this season just for their fanbase..