Goalies

Thread starter #1
Just noticed Whitley has retired and ive heard Joe is off to pastures new (apparently, do we know if that is true yet?). We're landing some great Brit outfield players so can we afford an import netty? Or will we see another home coming hero this off season (Lyle or Craze)? Any ideas, preferences, rumours?

jimmy snels

Lyle? Are we really still saying his name!? Was rubbish here. Wouldn't want him or craze for that matter. I'd hope we'd be looking to appoint a much stronger candidate than them

Earnie

In his last season with Devils, Lyle was impressive - and especially at the Playoffs. I agree we needed a change but Lyle served us well for many , many years.
The two goalies we replaced him with were no better.

KaneDevils

Earnie said:
In his last season with Devils, Lyle was impressive - and especially at the Playoffs. I agree we needed a change but Lyle served us well for many , many years.
Spot on with that!

We will sign an import nettie. As has been mentioned, Doyle is the rumour, wether there is any substance to that rumour I don't know.

KaneDevils said:
Earnie said:
Spot on with that!

We will sign an import nettie. As has been mentioned, Doyle is the rumour, wether there is any substance to that rumour I don't know.
More importantly, will we be able to keep paying one for a whole season

jimmy snels

Earnie said:
Being with us for many years has no bearing if he was or is still any good tho. I agree he had a good playoffs (4games) but to say he had a good season is more than a tad over the top. He let in so many poor goals it was un real and his going behind the net and getting robbed special happened numerous times. He moved on, and thankfully so have we! I expect us to sign a good import nettie who gives us a chance every night. G has mentioned a lot of times how important the net minder is and the importance of him playing well

I would not be disappointed if we signed Hull keeper Ben Bownes! Still a young guy and made some incredible stops with a weak defence last season, He is also a Brit which would free up some money for some stronger outfield imports.

I'm not saying we would get him, just saying it would be nice

kettdevil1

Lp 1 said:
I would not be disappointed if we signed Hull keeper Ben Bownes! Still a young guy and made some incredible stops with a weak defence last season, He is also a Brit which would free up some money for some stronger outfield imports.

He always seemed to play well against us, especially up at their place..... I think that he has been confirmed as going back to 'ull though...

Lloyd

Lp 1 said:

He's already re-signed at hull for this season

In my opinion I wouldn't sign him right now... give him a phew more years of experience. I mean he only stepped up to the elite league from the epl last year!

Nathan Craze retired from the sport after the 11-12 season. Ben Bowns is back with Hull, but definitely a guy to keep an eye on. Spent a week last summer at a goalie camp with him and he's got bags of ability - very technical goalie with a lot of talent. He's only 22, and played well last season in front of a subpar Hull side which allowed on average nearly 50% more shots on net per game more than the Panthers did.

Still, whichever goalie gets signed for next season, the obvious deficiencies in the defensive game of the Devils this season gone need sorting out, otherwise it will be more of the same.

Finny

Lp 1 said:
He is also a Brit which would free up some money for some stronger outfield imports.
Brits don't necessarily cost less than imports, especially netminders. Rumours were that Lyle was one of our biggest earners, if not the biggest.

I no longer see the point in getting a british netminder. With Richardson back and Myers returning, I don't think there would be any advantage of getting a Brit netminder.

voth26

Finny said:
Lp 1 said:
He is also a Brit which would free up some money for some stronger outfield imports.
Brits don't necessarily cost less than imports, especially netminders. Rumours were that Lyle was one of our biggest earners, if not the biggest.

I no longer see the point in getting a british netminder. With Richardson back and Myers returning, I don't think there would be any advantage of getting a Brit netminder.
If im honest I cant name a top qualily brit nettie?, apart from murphy im sure some will enlighten me tho

Have Hope#35

voth26 said:
Finny said:
Lp 1 said:

If im honest I cant name a top qualily brit nettie?, apart from murphy im sure some will enlighten me tho
Does this guy count? He is from Plymouth http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=14833 Pretty sure he'd count as an Import though?