'Hockey' Fighting Tournaments

Mark666

Thread starter #1
Well I never... Someone's commented on the Mcmorrow thread mentioning he went to Finland to fight in a hockey enforcers fighting tournament called Ice Warriors. I quick poke around the internet i see there's been one before in Canada. I don't know much about it and i'm off out now but i'm not sure what to make of it all.

I like a good hockey fight as much as the next man (or lady) but this seems a bit nuts to me. Fighting is about sticking up for you teammates etc. this strips all the 'narrative' from the fighting and can really put the sport in a bad light. On the other hand its good that these guys can show off their skills for prize money. Maybe avoiding associations with the sport of hockey would be ideal. Just boxing on ice...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxCSc5Ct ... r_embedded

http://www.hockeyfights.com/forums/f64/ ... ndex2.html

http://www.icewarriors.fi/index.html (in Finish)

Gaz G

On a rant tonight but think these comps have no real purpose apart from to make the individual some money. I know many many people who have the idea in their head that ice hockey is a game played by dumbo's. Despite convinving many that this is not the case, a comp will come along where they actually go on the ice without sticks and have a scrap.

WHATS THE POINT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If you're going to do that, be like Mike Sgroi and be a cage fighter aswell incase you don't get a hockey contract. Dumb as it sounds he prob has a fairly decent brain.

Gaz G said:
On a rant tonight but think these comps have no real purpose apart from to make the individual some money. I know many many people who have the idea in their head that ice hockey is a game played by dumbo's. Despite convinving many that this is not the case, a comp will come along where they actually go on the ice without sticks and have a scrap.

WHATS THE POINT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If you're going to do that, be like Mike Sgroi and be a cage fighter aswell incase you don't get a hockey contract. Dumb as it sounds he prob has a fairly decent brain.
You do know Sgroi took part in a tournament like this in America... He made the final but was beaten by LNAH heavyweight Dean Mayrand.. These tournament have nothing to do with hockey so I don't see the problem.. It's boxing on skates and the guys taking part are not representing there team it's something for themselves to make some extra money..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7LiJy2cW ... re=related

Gaz G

As I said, I get the point of it, but only in the sense of a pants hockey player making some extra cash before their career comes to an end as they serve no purpose.

Love a fight as much as the next guy but getting totally fed up of the fights 2 seconds into a game scenario etc. It takes the new spectators thoughts off the actual game/skill/speed and timing and replaces these thoughts on when's there going to be another scrap. Not what the game is all about at all.

Not a chance I would go watch 2 blokes "boxing on ice". Waste of money as although I love the fighting aspect, I love it because it serves a purpose to the rest of the team.

Comps like these don't serve any purpose what so ever apart to make some promoter rich, give a crap hockey player some extra funds and reduce the credability of (certainly over here) a sport that needs as much recognition as possible.

It's a joke and the fact that McMorrow couldn't ice for a team who have not yet won a game this year, as a result of a stupid money making scheme shows McMorrows prefered options.

Bills the sport in the wrong way and encourage in my opinion the wrong crowd to come watch a familly sport.

If you like watching a couple of scraps, do you spend 30 quid on a good night down the boxing or do you spend 15 quid down the hockey?

TheStub

I'm totally with Gaz here. A guy dropping his gloves to stick up for a team mate yes, staged fights why would you?

Those sort of antics just perpetuate the "boxing on ice" claims I keep hearing about ice hockey. If we want the sport to succeed we need the skill and passion to come to the fore. If you want to see fighting, there is boxing and ultimate fight events.

Worse still, a player getting injured at that sort of event in my mind is worth canning them for. McSorrow is probably the highest paid Stars player. Last night, with our tough guys both out Dundee should dominated the physical game - but their biggest guy was sidelined after being injured after a pointless event. Ceman must be fuming.

Mind you, even if he had iced, he never managed to dominate in the past... what with his code and inability to actually play.

In my mind it is just one more black mark against him. Stars fans deserve better.