Hockey Fights Cancer Night thoughts

rocketbob

Thread starter #1
After the NHL jersey discussion on the other thread I was reminded of my "Hockey Fights Cancer" jersey obtained a t a benefit game in Tampa a few years ago. I know that there are many charities and demands on peoples wallets but I was just wondering what everyone's opinion on a league wide Hockey Fights Cancer night would go down over here. They have them twice a year in the NHL (which I appreciate is a much bigger market and fan base).
Just a thought.

pjj365

Clubs can do their own charity nights of course - and should do

But I can't help think a same night league wide charity once a year would be a good idea

Pondlife

I don't understand why the PR team (assuming there is one) at the EIHL are not shouting from the rooftops about the collective similar charity initiatives across the league. How many tens of thousands of bears are collectively 'aired' before christmas or thousands donated based on jersey auctions over the year?

Ocko

Whilst I would hate to put a nationality on a terrible illness, the Hockey Fights Cancer Charity is a North American thing and of no benefit to UK cancer research or treatment. Plenty of charities closer to home to support should we choose to support them.

fridaysfingers

As someone who has suffered a brain injury, and benefited greatly (and still am) from the help and support from the brain injury charity Headway Cardiff (and South East Wales), I would suggest this being a very relevant charity to support, considering all the concussions and brain injuries being at the forefront of news in hockey.
It would be great if our club, or even better as suggested, a league wide night to support one of the less popular charities but the most relevant of causes to Ice Hockey
Obviously there are many, many other charities in need of help, especially the smaller and less 'fashionable'. I hope nobody is offended by the 'fashionable' statement and apologies if you are.
I believe Nottingham made Headway UK their season's charity last season which was great.
Todd, if you happen to read this, how about it??

I'm with you on this. I too have felt the benefits of headway first hand and it would be great if we could do something from the charity side of things. And as you said, it affects ice hockey too!