Hocktoberfest head count

Thread starter #1
Anyone going? Would have thought a few seeing as we are playing up there Saturday too??

We are thinking about it as we don't need to fork out for a hotel (his parents live in Solihull)...

Rempel16

Well, following G's comments in the programme last night, where the Devils are going to play forwards on D, go for it and have fun, my mind was made up.

This competition isn't going to be taken seriously so i will give it a miss.

Gazza272

Rempel16 said:
Well, following G's comments in the programme last night, where the Devils are going to play forwards on D, go for it and have fun, my mind was made up.

If that is true then i'm glad i'm not going up. a Massive shame if thats how this tournament is going to be treated, even if its just by us.

The league published rules, did proper PR and tried something different. For it to be ruined by players and coaches having a '3rd and 4th place playoff' mentality would be a shame.

Glad i'm staying Sunday now.

Russky

The concept of the tourney is good but its the timing that isnt! I mentioned this to a few people last night. I would suggest moving the tourney to the first weekend of september next season as a 'warm up' for the league and delay the start of the season by a week, It could be used as marketing tool by all the paticipating clubs and the league for the upcoming season. Also base it away from Sheffield, Nottingham or Belfast so that the smaller arenas get a chance put on the show on a rotational basis!

James

Administrator
Rempel16 said:

I took that to mean they were going to go for out and out goalscoring to blitz the opposition not that they weren't going to take it seriously. Mind you, lots of our goals seem to be coming from the defence anyway so Im not sure my theory holds water :)

Finny

Assuming this year's isn't a complete failure - I think the plan is to have it next season on the August Bank Holiday weekend as a season warm-up. This for me would be far better, it gives all fans a chance to see all teams straight away - plus it can be over 2 days with the bank holiday monday to get home.

My guess is that it took them so long to organise it this year that the Sheffield Arena was already booked.

I'd like to see them take it around the arena's each year. So this year it is Sheffield. Next year it could be Newcastle, then maybe Belfast..

You could then start taking it to arena's that don't have hockey - but where you want to maybe introduce new EIHL teams. E.g Liverpool, Braehead - or you could even take it back to the MEN Arena if it is really really popular.

Finny

James said:
Rempel16 said:

I took that to mean they were going to go for out and out goalscoring to blitz the opposition not that they weren't going to take it seriously. Mind you, lots of our goals seem to be coming from the defence anyway so Im not sure my theory holds water :)
I haven't read G's comments in the programme, but that's kind of what I was expecting too. Quite a few players have been interviewed about this already, and they seem to be suggesting that they have started having training sessions with only 1 defenceman and 3 forwards and just all out attack.

TheStub

If G said that, I'm quite excited. With this format, I'm expecting the teams to throw everything forward. Exciting, offensive hockey with loads of goals. Hopefully without any team trying to just grind out a win.

Thread starter #17
We are still thinking about it.

Nottingham are taking it very seriously - they have flown in Molin becasue Bergin is a little "sore".
Wish we had the chance to bring in a top player when our players were sore. :roll:

It's going to be high scoring games, how good is your goalscoring and goaltending I think it will come down to.

Well hello!!

I have 2 coming up to stay in Donny with me so there will be 4 of us going to Hoctober fest. Sadly I can't make the Saturday game, but the other 3 of our party will be there :D

xx

Last minute decision for 2 of us to go.
Didn't event think about it til Wednesday and only really going because we have the Saturday game as well, looking forward to it now though.