Hocktoberfest head count

Russky

Gazza272 said:
Russky said:
. Also base it away from Sheffield, Nottingham or Belfast so that the smaller arenas get a chance put on the show on a rotational basis!

But then no one would be able to watch it :shock:

When the squeelers are charging £25 a head to watch it makes me suspicious that this tourney is just a cash cow to make money for you know who! I am not alone in having these suspicions and that is why there are not alot of fans staying up for this tourney. This is why I think this tourney should be hosted by the smaller arenas on a rotational basis not the teams with the big arenas!

Russky

Gazza272 said:
Russky said:
. Also base it away from Sheffield, Nottingham or Belfast so that the smaller arenas get a chance put on the show on a rotational basis!

But then no one would be able to watch it :shock:

When the squeelers are charging £25 a head to watch it makes me suspicious that this tourney is just a cash cow to make money for you know who! I am not alone in having these suspicions and that is why there are not alot of fans staying up for this tourney. This is why I think this tourney should be hosted by the smaller arenas on a rotational basis not the 'influential' teams with the big arenas!

Russky

I am not saying that the Devils should host it every year, I am just suggesting that the smaller arenas of Hull, Edinburgh, Coventry and ours should have the chance to host the event, so that that its not just monopolised by the bigger arena teams!

Finny

Sorry Russky but you are looking for a conspiracy there when there isn't one.

The Steelers are NOT selling the tickets at £25 a head. The EIHL are. I get the feeling you are suggesting that is too much - I think that is excellent value for a days entertainment. If I wasn't ill and skint I would be happy to pay that.

You also seem to be confusing the Sheffield Steelers and the Sheffield Arena. They are two separate organisations and have never been further apart. They are constantly arguing with each other, the Steelers want out and the Arena are making these final seasons as awkward for them as possible (closing some of the best blocks to get down on costs).

The Steelers won't be making money out of this tournament like you suggest. The whole point of this tournament was for the profits to be split between the smaller teams like Hull and Edinburgh. Maybe even Newcastle and us! The anticipated money they will recieve from this tournament is what has allowed Edinburgh and Hull to build such entertaining and competitive teams this year.

So far I would guess they have sold around 4000-5000 tickets for this competition. Yet you are sugggesting it is held in place like Hull, Cardiff and Edinburgh where they wouldn't be able to get more than 3000 crowds!!!

This is a great idea and a great tournament for the EIHL. Not for one particular team.

Russky

Finny said:
Sorry Russky but you are looking for a conspiracy there when there isn't one.
ha ha, are you sure?

Finny said:
The Steelers are NOT selling the tickets at £25 a head. The EIHL are.
Yes but surely you cant say that the big arena teams dont unduly influence the EIHL, given who were instrumental in setting up the EIHL!

Finny said:
I get the feeling you are suggesting that is too much - I think that is excellent value for a days entertainment. If I wasn't ill and skint I would be happy to pay that.
Maybe I am a skinflint but I wouldnt be prepared to pay £25 quid for it!

Finny said:
You also seem to be confusing the Sheffield Steelers and the Sheffield Arena. They are two separate organisations and have never been further apart.
Now that reminds me of our former troubles and trials with CCC and PI when a certain person was still at the Devils helm!

They are constantly arguing with each other, the Steelers want out and the Arena are making these final seasons as awkward for them as possible (closing some of the best blocks to get down on costs). [/quote]

Finny said:
The Steelers won't be making money out of this tournament like you suggest.
NO?

Finny said:
The whole point of this tournament was for the profits to be split between the smaller teams like Hull and Edinburgh. Maybe even Newcastle and us!

That would be a novelty!

Finny said:
The anticipated money they will recieve from this tournament is what has allowed Edinburgh and Hull to build such entertaining and competitive teams this year.

So far I would guess they have sold around 4000-5000 tickets for this competition. Yet you are sugggesting it is held in place like Hull, Cardiff and Edinburgh where they wouldn't be able to get more than 3000 crowds!!!

May be so but at least it could guarantee a sell out not a half full arena!

Finny said:
This is a great idea and a great tournament for the EIHL. Not for one particular team.
Um, I am not convinced, sorry mate!

Finny

So do you think Russky that Nottingham take all the money from the playoffs because they are held in the NIC?

Finny

Russky said:
Now that reminds me of our former troubles and trials with CCC and PI when a certain person was still at the Devils helm!
Now that is one thing I will agree with you. It does appear that Bob hasn't learnt from his mistakes with us and is making all those mistakes again up in Sheffield.

However, the rest is true and I haven't heard anyone else suggest this is a Steelers thing not an EIHL thing.

TheStub

I like the fact that it is in the Sheffield Arena - as the only other viable option is Nottingham.

They are fairly central, and closest to the biggest teams (Belfast aside, as they are a flight for everyone else).

This event would simply be too large for the likes of us to host - if it were to stand a chance of reaching it's potential anyway.

I hope tomorrow is a great day (I can imagine Sheffield full has a great atmosphere - Sheffield empty is crap, but the venue is nice). I'm really looking forward to a weekend of hockey!

I did like Finny's idea of moving it around the arenas that currently don't have a team. The MEN would be great :D

Let's not put a downer on the event before we have seen it through. This could become the 'welcome back hockey' weekend at the start of the season to mirror the playoff weekend at the end :D

Russky

Finny said:
So do you think Russky that Nottingham take all the money from the playoffs because they are held in the NIC?
I dont think they host it out of the kindness of their hearts. I would be surprised if they didnt take the lions share of the revenue! Maybe I am too cynical!!!! ;)

Finny

Russky said:
Finny said:
I dont think they host it out of the kindness of their hearts. I would be surprised if they didnt take the lions share of the revenue! Maybe I am too cynical!!!! ;)
I'm afraid you are Russky.
The only people who are make anything out of the playoffs are:
-1. The NIC.
-2. The EIHL.

You really do need to distinguish between the club and the people running the arena.

At the start of September the Cardiff Bar Arena hosted a gymnastics tournament. Do you think the Devils made money out of that?

Russky

Finny said:
Im afraid you are Russky.
The only people who are make anything out of the playoffs are:
-1. The NIC.
-2. The EIHL.

You really do need to distinguish between the club and the people running the arena.

At the start of September the Cardiff Bar Area a hosted a gymnastics tournament. Do you think the Devils made money out of that?
Its a bit small for a Gymnastics tournament! :lol: Only one winner there: Planet Ice!

ok point taken!