Hull axe netminder

Wannabe2

Thread starter #1
Stingrays sign Raitums and axe Sandahl
Thursday, January 21, 2010, 06:00Comment on this story

EXCEL Hull Stingrays' coach Sylvain Cloutier says axing keeper Tommy Sandahl to bring in Martins Raitums is a gamble worth taking.
The Swede has been released, carrying the can for Stingrays' failings this season, with the side bottom of the Elite League.
Latvian Raitums arrives in Britain later today and will make his debut against Belfast at Hull Arena on Saturday.
He has spent his whole career playing for HK Riga 2000, before joining ASK Ogre last season.
He has also appeared for his national team at both junior and senior levels, but is only 24.
Cloutier had been talking to Raitums for around six weeks, plus goalies from Germany, Slovakia and Canada before finally plumping for the Latvian.
Cloutier said: "If you bring in anyone it's a gamble, as you don't know whether they are going to settle.
"We were getting saves from Tommy, but we need to get those extra ones.
"Martins has played in the Latvian and Belarus leagues and they are high scoring leagues with very skilled hockey players, so I'm not too worried about him being new to Britain.
"If he has played at World Championships and been back-up for the Olympics he has to be decent, and I'm excited about bringing him in.
"He's played a lot of games every year and has been carrying a load for his team, so he has the experience.
"It will be a fresh start for us and hopefully he can come in and give us the confidence we need in defence."
Stingrays have won just eight league games out of 34, having leaked more goals than any other side but also scored fewest.
And, Cloutier said, in some respects Sandahl can count himself unfortunate to be shown the door, with less than two weeks to go before the signing deadline.
"We took a chance with Tommy and you can't blame him for everything," he added.
"A lot of stuff has happened during the season with injuries and suspensions and Tommy has faced a lot of rubber.
"He showed in the P & O Cup he was not a bad goaltender and he has a great future ahead of him, but we just felt we needed to make a change.
"Tommy was disappointed, but he understood and I wish him nothing but the best as he is a good guy."
Raitums' arrival means Cloutier has just one more International Transfer Card to use for another import before the January 31 deadline.
STINGRAYS' forward Konstantin Kalmikov has been added to the Overseas All Stars team for next Wednesday's clash at Ice Sheffield against the British All Stars.
This storyEmail to a friend Print Comment

wildthing74

Surprised it took so long.He's not a bad keeper and is in a poor side but lets in far too many easy goals.When you consider how hard it was to beat Cruickshank when he was in nets for them(well we struggled anyway)I am not surprised they gassed him.
Seems another case of too nice a guy and maybe they would have been better off changing earlier in the year?