IAW Capacity Increase …

lloyd_jeff

The rink is now under Council ownership, there simply is no money to run and maintain the IAW in its current form. The Council have to run and maintain vital services to the community, that is its many priority. What would you prefer, free school meals for children in deprived homes or pad no 2 running. The plan was the IAW would sit in the middle of development that attracts people for retail, leisure etc. Thats simply not happened, yet remains the future objective if a lease holder can be found. If it wasn’t for the the Devils fans, Cardiff wouldn’t have had a WNIR replacement & much to the angst still within the Council, it is now joined by the Velodrome, although they prefer Cyclists to Hockey players.

Wannabe2

Of course they do, they should easily get a few thousand punters regularly at a velodrome, I mean Newports is bustling if you can get in that is.

Earnie

So the above statement would imply that Greenbank no longer have anything to do with the building?
The current Council prefer cyclist over Christmas Dinner.

I'd have thought that if there's no ice down on pad 2 the obvious thing would be to encourage inline and ball hockey. It is at least related to ice hockey.
There is already a purpose built roller hockey rink in the Cardiff city house of sport which is only down the road and established as the only purpose built roller hockey venue in Wales it may be hard to attract teams from there.

moggy#9

There is already a purpose built roller hockey rink in the Cardiff city house of sport which is only down the road and established as the only purpose built roller hockey venue in Wales it may be hard to attract teams from there.
My understanding was that there high demand for facilities around the area to play those sports. Is that not the case?

My understanding was that there high demand for facilities around the area to play those sports. Is that not the case?

Looking back at the thread someone mentioned unicycle hockey and looking at their upcoming events they all seem to be in ice arena Wales rather than the house of sport. So it looks like there is a demand for this type of use.

Maybe the house of sport has become difficult to get preferred times on the pad so teams are looking elsewhere which would make pad 2 an attractive space

lloyd_jeff

So the above statement would imply that Greenbank no longer have anything to do with the building?
The current Council prefer cyclist over Christmas Dinner.
It’s not implied, Greenbank haven’t been involved basically since Todd took over the Management role at IAW. The Greenbank Council relationship broke down yrs ago, they’ve barely had any meaningful contact. If & it’s a big If the Velodrome gets built, they’ve still yet to find anyone willing to pay for it, then the longevity of the
IAW is pretty much guaranteed. Just like the WNIR was sold for redevelopment, so is the Velodrome on North Rd with the promise to its many users of a better facility in the Fabulous ISV, remember that Glynn, should sound very familiar to many. Problem is the Council promise a lot without securing funding, its a very familiar repeating trait. The worse case scenario is the development get shelved, along with the many many many previous developments, leaving a far inferior, not fit for purpose make do complex. If that happens then I’d give the IAW 2 yrs before it becomes rubble and redeveloped as housing.

moggy#9

The problem is that Cardiff is incredibly badly managed by it's council. It's nothing to do with politics, RCT is also a labour council, but is much better managed. It really doesn't help that goodtime goodway is in charge of all of these vantity projects.

Finny

Was giving this some though lately - especially as every home game is now a sell out or very near a sell out - are we potentially losing money now due to current capacity?

A relatively easy solution might be to lose the walkway behind blocks 7-12 and build out those blocks so they go right up to the back wall of the rink on that side!

The above would likely add 3 or maybe 4 rows of seats to the top of each of those blocks.

There are a few column supports immediately behind the existing seats, therefore, would need to excluded seating in and around those to ensure any new seating does not have an obscured view.

The above would seem a relatively easy and cost effective solution to me with the block format then being identical to the BBT and WNIR, ie no walkway around the top but access via the bottom of the block upwards.

This relatively cost effective option could add in the region of 400-500 seats. Sell those on a weekly basis and that’s a considerable income increase to the club!

What do people think ?
As nice an idea as it is, I'd imagine it wouldn't be allowed due to lack of walkway.
Yes there is still the ice level walkway - but it's very narrow and wouldn't be able to handle everyone using that.

If you were able to keep the walkway and build a balcony above it, that might be more possible.

As great as it would be for the Devils, for the past seven years there’s been a 11 team Senior in-line hockey with 150 players training and playing league matches at the Cardiff City House of Sport, moving to Pad 2 would be a gamble not worth taking.
The House of Sport rink has a purpose built in-line hockey facility with a Sports Court floor, modern facilities and a great cafe. It’s also cheaper than pad 2, the concrete floor is also too slow to play on.
So as great as it would be to have everything under one roof I can’t see it happening.

The prevailing management of the rink has lost untold numbers of adults to the sport of ice hockey, as the only ice available is at the witching hour or later, and the Junior Club have reneged on their constitution to provide for both junior and adult ice hockey. This is possibly due to a combination of reasons - from the hike in costs of running ice on pad 2 to the speculation that ice can’t be put on pad 2 because the rink management allowed the plant to fall into disrepair they don’t have the will, don’t have the money or a combination of both to put that situation right.

The prevailing management of the rink (pad 1) mystifies me - the Devils have a team built for speed, but the ice they play on is slush at best, so we lose any home advantage we ever would have had for recruiting fast skaters. I’m no ice maintenance guy, but to get the most out of fast skaters, you need hard ice - 5 degrees of so lower than the slush we have which is more suited to public skating and ice dancers for their jumps and pirouettes. There is speculation that the reason that the state of the art plant facility has been equally poorly managed, and is unable to cope with the different needs of the primary ice users. perhaps there are justifications, but having regularly skated on the Pad 1 ice, the ice temperature differential would certainly be a reasoned explanation as to how a team of fast skaters never get the opportunity to perform at their best.

Only last night I said to other fans the ice was poor and the puck was slow moving and bobbling everywhere , not ideal but it's all we have got .
It’s awful ice to skate on. We’ve signed fast talented players that are much better able to show their skillset on fast hard ice. Bristol rink has fantastic hard ice, Cardiff have ice resembling the outputs from a slush maker. Don’t understand why the Devils wouldn’t insist on harder ice being available for Devils fixtures, it’s not like the ice plant isn’t capable of it. It’s an alleged state of the art facility. Having fast skaters skate on slush ice (at home) makes as much sense as fighting Tyson Fury with one hand tied behind your back and hoping to come away with a win.

Earnie

Our machinery for freezing the ice is modern and more than adequate for the job.
Need to turn the thermostat down a bit more . (At a cost)

D

Deleted member 1337

It likely doesn't help that half of the staff who drive the Zamboni chuck out about twice as much water as needs be, leaving puddles all over the shop

Think the ice was bad yesterday due to Halloween party on Friday night. 2 and half hours of skating (packed with skaters) with no ice cut, must have been like a gravel track to skate over. The ice has been poor the past 2 weeks, taking a lot longer to dry kit out after training on there.