Ice sports shafted by Cardiff Council…again

They could make a fortune with accessible events too. Charities would pay for private hire, because the open sessions are bedlam for so many. It's too busy and families with all children don't want to wait 30 mins to get skates and then an hour to get their shoes

James

Administrator
Curling was the intention when the rink opened but they neglected to factor the thousands of pounds the stones cost into the budget I believe so it got quietly shelved. How easy is changing the surface from skating to curling and back? It needs a stippled ice surface doesnt it? I assume its not to time consuming as some of the Scottish rinks have curling lanes marked on their main rinks

Kevlar68

I used to put on games nights at the WNIR that included tug of war, one on one ice style of sumo using the centre circle and a rope hoop, obstacle courses and for those of an age an ice skating version of Mike Reids "Runaround" which was educational and fun. Used to always be busy and all skaters good or bad used to participate.

For those who don't know Runaround

lloyd_jeff

When you factor in the cost of leasing the venue from the Council & all the other expenses, you’ve got to cover upwards of £15,000 a week before hitting profitability.

I have heard that Cardiff Council have not followed the appropriate protocols in determining their “decision“. Appropriate notices of the meeting to discus all proposals were not published and given the standard procedures laid down in Council guidelines, it is unclear how binding this decision will be - it may still turn out to be a stay of execution, but it may also be the view that a voice in the Council is more a fan of climbing walls than ice sports.

if the appropriate meeting is reconvened and the correct process followed, then the Community of ice sports users will need to ensure their collective voice is heard. Worst case scenario would be for pad 2 to be converted to a climbing facility but not to the extent that pad 2 could not revert back to a second ice sports pad facility, when the costs of maintenance are back/closer to pre-Covid levels. Pad 2 was regularly used, it is as Swarley suggests - selective memory at its finest, that pad 2 was not Used consistently for some years - NEWSFLASH 2020 There was a worldwide Covid pandemic which forced the rink to be closed. WAG would only allow the pad to reopen on a reduced basis in 2021/2022. Feb 2022, Russia invades Ukraine resulting in Energy prices hike.

There are plenty of ice user people wanting to use the second pad - the demand is there, but the current costs of running the plant to operate the two Ice pads, mean it is financially unsustainable at current energy prices for rink operators to out ice down on pad 2. It will be a damning blight on those who fought relentlessly to get the two pad facility if the Council are allowed to force through an unpopular viewpoint and ride roughshod over the ice sports users in South Wales - especially when the Council can’t be bothered to follow their own processes and procedures.

Unfortunately, it seems that the ONLY way we will get the backing and financial support from the Council and WAG to keep pad 2 open is if the Devils start up a Sledge Rugby team!

Wannabe2

The second ice pad has been empty for years due to the pandemic, and stupid energy prices unforeseen and unusual circumstances. We say it’s losing money, so has it lost money since the opening, that’s one thing, or has it lost money the last few years,how much does it cost weekly, monthly to operate. How heavy is its closure having on ice users,is there a way of keeping it as it is. People say it was always busy Pre pandemic, so what has changed. Some say well Dundee, Fife, Coventry operate with one pad, but bloody hell this is a Capital City, it’s Ice Arena Wales, not Ice Arena Cardiff. This Arena was only built due to all ice users fighting for it together, it would never have got off the ground as just a home for the Devils, and that’s fact, can’t people get together to try to resolve this, surely that’s the first thing that should be considered. As I keep spouting about till I am blue in the face, where’s the bloody signage, IAW on the Building don’t mean Jack shirt to most people, it could be a bloody factory, no roadside signage about a ice rink thousands of cars daily pass our home, and this is fact thousands of people in Cardiff and the Vale don’t even know Cardiff has a ice rink, we are like a back street garage to a huge amount of local resident. It’s so ridicules, Devils games are rammed with people, and long may that continue,but it’s now time to concentrate on getting the 2nd pad financially viable, remember the saying you only appreciate what you have when you no longer have it. Rant over.

Earnie

The I A W is no longer on the building even. I also know people who have no idea it is the ice rink. Could be a Dutch Bank is disguise .

I would hazard a guess that the council are fully aware of the issues regarding raising public awareness and access to the rink that have been raised.
However, it is not in their interest to address these issues as they would like nothing better than for the rink to fail so they can say “I told you so“ and close it citing it being uneconomic and under used!

lloyd_jeff

If it makes a profit and helps secure the future of the IAW, who cares what it looks like. The test will be whether more pay to use this compared to the ice & extra running costs.

Rather than climbing which i really can not see being a huge money maker(failed were i live) an soft play area would have bought in way more people than this. Older kids could go skate and younger ones could go in play area.

lloyd_jeff

There’s a plethora of ice skating, ice hockey, skiing, bobsleigh simulators and synthetic goal shooting & pad training and exercise equipment available on the market to run alongside a climbing activities. The money just isn’t there, what we are getting is the usual cheap alternative.