ice

They normally paint the ice a few weeks into the season i think. I reckon they should do it before the season starts, but we will see.

mazza03

They wont shut the rink to do it during school holidays they make too much money, I was there yesterday getting my ticket for next weeks game and the ice was packed.

My guess is it won't get done until at least Dec 5th. Can't see Planet Ice letting us close the rink, especially as they are getting booted out of the tent at the end of Nov, they need all the money they can get from skating being as they are rumoured to owe the Council over 100k in rent arrears.

voth26

If planet ice are booted out who will run the place and does that mean that there will be problems with regards to the devils and the home games!!, i thought everything was ok

Everything will be fine. The contract for the ice rink finishes in December and chances are they will lose the contract and im sure there will be a number of people wanting to take over, perhaps Matt Burge or the council. Who knows, but there won't be a problem with devils matches at all.

ASHIPP

Can you imagine if Matt (Burge) won the contract after Planet Ice? :shock: The future for the Devils would be sealed! Proper control over ice time for starters...not to mention maximising different opportunities for the rink. My mind is buzzing at the prospect! :cool:

There are signs dotted around the rink this morning saying they are closed between the 3rd and 11th of Sept. I would hope it would all be done in time for the Hull game on the 13th.
Has anything official been said about P.I. being slung out? I can feel a party coming on.

Koop11

As I understand, the current 3 year lease on the rink will cease in December of this year. Therefore I would imagine a tender exercise will have already taken place, if not currently underway. Given that December really isn’t that far away I would imagine the council would have received applications by now and would be looking to award a contract in the next month or so. You have to give a lease holder time to prepare. I remember P.I were awarded the contract end of summer 2006 but obviously didn’t start operating until December. That of course was due to the fact the rink took that long to go up.

It will be interesting to see what affect, if any, the awarding of a contract going elsewhere other than P.I. We are assuming P.I have applied for this term of course. If the contract is awarded to another party, P.I will still have obligations and criteria to follow so I would like to think that the first half of the season won’t have a massive impact on the club. This is however P.I we’re talking about so time will tell.

The ice painting itself usually happens a couple of weeks into the season as the summer holidays are still here in the in the pre season/opening league games. In fairness to P.I that is their peak profit period so one can’t expect them to shut down for 3 days, especially with the risk of them not having the lease on the rink in a few months.

There have been 4 applications submitted with another 2 groups showing an intrest last I heard, none of which have the name P.I. on, but one is rumoured to be an ex WNIR operative. Being carefull with comments what I would say is the Echo should have enough stories on the current operators dealings to keep it going for a while once given the green light.

Oops wrong thread, that's what you get when trying to post with a 2 inch ipod screen with bad eye sight. Mods can you move it to season ticket thread please.