In All It's Glory

wildthing74

Sadly 25 years on I pretty much could commentate that back word for word as I watched it so often as a kid. That game will never be bettered and how times change we had the whole nation able to watch it live and other sports got put on hold while it went out live and it was even a neutral and historic venue too.

Many times I feel that the league and UK hockey was better run in them days yet most other sports have moved on light years since then.

mazza03

wildthing74 said:
Sadly 25 years on I pretty much could commentate that back word for word as I watched it so often as a kid. That game will never be bettered and how times change we had the whole nation able to watch it live and other sports got put on hold while it went out live and it was even a neutral and historic venue too.

Many times I feel that the league and UK hockey was better run in them days yet most other sports have moved on light years since then.
How true, it's such a shame.

Thread starter #4
I had never seen the TV coverage, but was at the game.

Had forgotten so many things about the match, the 15 minute delay for the plexi, the three goals at the end of the first period to bring it level. Will never, ever, forget the Cooper goal to tie it up though.

I love that way that the Devils fans are singing and chanting when 3-0 down, to lift the team and the noise with each goal was deafening. When the Racers score there's cheers, when the Devils score there's bedlam in the stands. All this 4 years after the club was formed and here we were winning the British Double.

Down by 3 goals, bring it back, down by two goals with 6 minutes left, bring it back. Up 3-0 in a penalty shoot out then pinned back and win it with the 23 & 24th penalty shot in sudden death. Man, is it any wonder why we all love this club so much.

It sure brings back memories. My beard looked impressive.

I must say looking back it was amazing how cool and collected the players were on the bench, well at least the ones not taking penalties.

Heather and Dickie were smoking on the bench.

Wannabe2

Nott Simpson said:
It sure brings back memories. My beard looked impressive.

I must say looking back it was amazing how cool and collected the players were on the bench, well at least the ones not taking penalties.

Heather and Dickie were smoking on the bench.
OJ do you know of any Dickson relatives mate, I have his shirt that they might like.

Glynne I haven't got any contacts for Brian's family, Archie Nelson is probably your best bet, I thought I had Brian Wilkie's number but I cannot locate it

OJ

Next Wednesday 22 April will be the 25th anniversary of that memorable game at Wembley.

I know where most of they team are these days the only one I have failed to locate for many years is our then coach Brian Kanewischer who returned to Canada after his stint as coach in Ayr.

OJ

James

Administrator
Brian appears to be on facebook OJ and friends with a number of past devils players so shouldn't be too hard to catch up with

KaneDevils

wildthing74 said:

What a great post.
I've never seen this game but will be watching it over the weekend. Thanks for the link and for the spoiler! I now know what happens, in its entirety. :lol: