ISV (again)

osh

I thought the original idea regarding the size of the new arena was for a multi purpose structure that would also be able to hold concerts and events that could accommodate larger crowds than the present CIA (cap 5000 ? ) So a building that could have an ice hockey facility would need to be about a 5000 or 6000 seat arena and then if concerts were to be held, then it would become a 7000 to 7500 concert arena. I know we wouldn't get anywhere near those sort of crowds, but as stated, it would be a multi use facility. Perhaps I am wrong re the above and it's intended use will solely be for ice orientated use ?

osh

devils2001uk said:
why are they looking to move the cia with a building that the same size as the cia ?

If the CIA holds 5000 and a new arena in the bay held 7000 to 7500, it wouldn't be the same size would it ?

Finny

devils2001uk said:
no the cia is an 8000 standing floor !
Is it really? I can't imagine it holding that many?
The only figure I can find is on wikipedia which says its capacity is 7500.

However, the new arena is planned to be an 8000 seated capacity. In which case that probably wouldn't include the floor and so it would end up being nearer 12,000 capacity for concerts I would have thought?

Koop11

El Supremo said:
Koop11 said:
With regard to the plans for an arena then it would be useful for them to incorporate an ice pad for major events that may include ice hockey but for me this is not essential to us as a club. The sport in this country will unlikely average 4000+ week in week out throughout a top flight league for some time if at all ever. 3000 seats will be ample and if we can run that facility even better. It will be interesting to see how this develops and how much involvement we as a club will have in building such a facility.
Why can't a league in this country support an average crowd of 4000+ a week? I'm pretty sure the ISL did it just 10 years ago (yes I know that level was unsustainable but at least we know that the demand for hockey is there in the UK). I agree with what others say about us moving to a smaller rink/arena (3,000-4,000) before making the step up to a fully fledged arena. It is important that we have a sensible capacity in the smaller rink/arena but what is arguably more important is that the 'proper' arena incorporates an ice pad should the Devils ever require the increased capacity (why shouldn't we have aspirations to be a 'big' club?).
You’ve answered your own question El. The ISL went bust because it was unsustainable and if you take Manchester Storm out of the equation (who by the way gave free tickets out in the thousands) I challenge you to prove the ISL average week in week out was 4000+.

Please name me ‘big clubs’ currently in this country who have the capacity to host 4000+ crowds and average 4000+ week in week out. Sheffield and Belfast certainly aren’t. Nottingham is the only one flirting with this average.

You need to get a grip and understand that this is not the ANL. We’re never going to have 4000+ week in week out average for ice hockey in this country. If and when that were to happen, we’d be ready for a new facility again because our proposed lovely building we’re looking to erect now will be old and due for a replacement by that time.