"It Would Be Nice To Win Something"

Finny

Thread starter #1
God knows what I was drinking last night but it led to some pretty crazy dreams. The last of which involved myself and several Devils fans sitting in a bookstore awaiting the launch of a new Cardiff Devils book. I was very excited about it.....until I woke up and realised it had only been a dream.

But it got me thinking. It's been 12 years since the last Devils book (that I know of anyway) and nearly 20 years since the brilliant "It's Funny When You Win Everything". During the Bob years there was always talk of a book having to be printed in the future with the stories of those years from people like Big Bad Bill, Phil PLT, Rhythm and many more I'm sure.

So far though it's never happened. And whilst since that last book we've won very little it's fair to say a hell of a lot of things have happened off ice. I'd love to read a book about it all, but unless somebody has already started one secretly - should I?

If I did, it would take blooming ages to get everything together and written. In Anthony Beer's book it says it took him nearly two years to do, and I bet he was far more organised than me.

2016 will be the 30th anniversary of the Cardiff Devils. If everything goes to plan we should by then have been in our new home for two years and hopefully be back challenging at the top with the big boys. And it would give me three years to write.

So, would there be enough interest from people to buy and read it?

I would read it although it would be a nightmare for you to write, think of all the stories that have not been confirmed as true, it will be difficult to classify the book as non fiction and then some of the things that actually have happened are so unbelievable they could seem like fiction. Perhaps you could get it serialised in a local newspaper ( they don't check their facts to carefully and usually crib from your match reports in any case)

Good luck with it Mark I will definitely read it

mazza03

What a really good idea, start by getting stories from people and I'm sure there are a few fans (not me) that could help you go through them and assimilate the good one, I'm sure there are a huge amount of photo's as well. Put me down for one please. :Banana :Banana

wildthing74

It's a great idea and ironically myself and Andy Jones CDSL chairman had been speaking for a while about doing it and all the tales on the road in the early years.Happy to pass on any stories and photos if needed.

osh

Finny, if you wrote it, I'd definitely buy it for a laugh! :eek:
Because if horse poop was bull poop, you're the man :roll: Go for it oh rose tinted one dimensional one :lol: :lol:

Finny, I threatened many, many times to write a book about the Devils during the period I was involved with the club but came to the decision that some of the (true) stories are SO far fetched sounding that everyone would think it was a work of fiction. If you take on this project then I think you'll need plenty of legal assistance in deciding what can be printed and what couldn't (even if true!).
Anyway, if you do give it a go I'd be happy to share some of "memorable moments" with you.

When I lived in Tenerife I started writing my recollections of my time with the team. I even got a title sorted out "My Life on the Bench". After a few draft chapters it dawned on me that it that there would be a legal minefield to overcome - for the hockey aspect of the book. My judicial life was strightforward in comparison.

Anthony Beer's efforts were greatly appreciated and I enjoyed working on my contribution to the book.

There's you challenge Finny, you have a couple of years to deliver.

kettdevil1

Great idea!

Personally I would go for a themed approach rather than a season by season approach. the later approach tends to lead to a "and then we went to Fife and won" approach which frankly you could get via Google.... what would be good would be the behind the scenes views and also the views of supporters.

I take the point about lawyers but it can be done........

Happy to help as well!

the stories over the years that bill, phil, notts, lawless, shannon etc, could tell would be an awsume read for us devils fans who lived through those times and heard many rumors , but never knew for sure which stories where true and which where not. tell all but just publish it as fiction, but we will know it's true and just finish each chapter with the word allegedly, that should cover it. tell you now, this book could be twice the size of anthony beers book and have virtually no ice hockey in it.

Wagstaff

It takes a really good story with drama, heroes and villains for me to even contemplate reading a book, and i reckon you could fulfil all of those requirements, so you may be surprised to know, I would buy a copy! Even if it is in a red cover!