Joey Martin - G.O.A.T

Ocko

Thread starter #1
I've just seen on Twitter that this was brought up at the Q & A with Todd and Franny last night; is Joey Martin the greatest of all time for the Devils?

Whilst there have been some fantastic players over the years I really can't think of a player as well rounded as Joey Martin. The closest I can think of is Steve Moria but Joey edges him on physicality. Clearly he hasn't got the longevity as Moria and some others but if you can only base it on his previous 3 years with us he has to be right up there. Never takes a night off and despite being our most talented forward he works as hard as anyone.

Thoughts?

Finny

Doug McEwen is my favourite player of all time. Every time he got the puck you got a little bit excited as you knew he could create something out of nothing.
We've had 'better' players since then but they've all stayed for a short period of time.

Joey Martin is the first player since Doug who can get you excited every time he has the puck. And he has now been here for several seasons.

ASHIPP

.Joey - greatest all round forward in the Elite League, and for this Club under new Ownership. We are lucky to watch the Real Deal playing for our team, and for so long. He is already revered here and undoubtedly a legend in the making.

Doug McEwen - greatest all round forward in the history of the Cardiff Devils. An absolute legend.

Last edited:

Ocko

Thread starter #6
I was always more of a Shannon Hope fan in that era (I was a youngster) but I can understand MC being most people's choice.

The difference for me is the era and standard. Through no fault of his own Doug played when the standard was pretty dire, then in the ISL found his time a bit more limited. For Joey to dominate and bring excitement at EIHL level edges is for me.

Wannabe2

If Dougie was a young man today he would still cut it, no sweat in my mind. Yes the standard was lower, but would Pele not cut it in football today. Doug used to work as well as play hockey, and work bloody hard, if he could have spent all his time concentrating on hockey and fitness alone he would have been even better. Doug was 34/35 when we played super league, 5/6 yrs older than Joey, To me he was the best player in the league, just as Joey is today. 400 + games for our number 7, pips it for me. How fortunate are we to be in the position of talking about 2 such great players.

Johnnybravo1927

If Dougie was a young man today he would still cut it, no sweat in my mind. Yes the standard was lower, but would Pele not cut it in football today. Doug used to work as well as play hockey, and work bloody hard, if he could have spent all his time concentrating on hockey and fitness alone he would have been even better. Doug was 34/35 when we played super league, 5/6 yrs older than Joey, To me he was the best player in the league, just as Joey is today. 400 + games for our number 7, pips it for me. How fortunate are we to be in the position of talking about 2 such great players.
What did Doug work as? I always assumed he was only a pro player

Finny

Doug McEwen is my favourite player of all time. Every time he got the puck you got a little bit excited as you knew he could create something out of nothing.
We've had 'better' players since then but they've all stayed for a short period of time.

Joey Martin is the first player since Doug who can get you excited every time he has the puck. And he has now been here for several seasons.
Many thanks to Joey for proving my point for me last night. That move he pulled to setup the 2nd goal was unbelievable and seemed to get the whole team going.

Many thanks to Joey for proving my point for me last night. That move he pulled to setup the 2nd goal was unbelievable and seemed to get the whole team going.
Joey’s moves when entering the zone always please, but this move he pulled around the left side of the net last night and then the pass to set up Poper (I think), was a thing of beauty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wannabe2

That Joey Martin move was pure Poetry in Motion, unbelievably breath taking, and a move of real beauty. This young man just gets better and better, how unbelievably lucky are we to have him.

He also put up 1ppg in the CHL. It would be interesting to know about the offers he receives from other clubs and leagues around the world. His stats before coming to the EIHL are pretty average, but he’s flourished here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ocko

Thread starter #15
Top 3 for me:

Joey Martin
Steve Moria
Doug McEwen

Pre EIHL era Steve Moria was always that extra bit special for me. He also did it in every league he played, despite how old he was.

Wannabe2

Carpentry amongst labouring, and general building work, worked a lot down Dumballs Road for his sponsors, who I think were in the communications business.

E.D.S.

I think when Hotham's time is done here he'll surely be a contender for the GOAT (if he isn't already - what more does he have to do??). He'll be right up there with the likes of Hope and S.Cooper. His stats, awards and general game changing performances are seriously impressive. Like Joey Martin...We're lucky to have a talent like his here and to have him here for so long is even more impressive - given they both must have had ridiculous sums of cash thrown at them by other teams and leagues. Credit to both of them for staying and this organisation for making their stay here a worthwhile one.