Joey Martin on a One Year Deal to Norway

Rempel16

If you think 15 imports will just hang fire for a year because caridff is such a amazing place more fool you. Sorry to be a party pooper .. stay safe
Where did I say 15 imports? At what point in our history have we retained 15 imports? I'll wait....

But anyway, i'll make it clearer.... Nottingham have basically given their players 'letters of intent', so saying that ''yeah we might deem you good enough to sign when the time comes but we also might find something better in the mean time so we aren't going to offer you a firm contract''.

Whereas, the Devils.... ''If and when we get going, here's a definitive contract offer, we want you and you have a job''.

I know which scenario emits more professionalism, but you're a Panthers fan (although a lot of your posts on the Cage would suggest you actually aren't) so I understand you're going to have a bias just like I have.

Wannabe2

Think Hotham retired so that don’t count.
We always knew Lordo would go if the right job came along, we always knew he had ambitions, no probs.
Same with Bownsy, chance to play at a higher league good on him
Joey well we all want Joey to return that’s obvious, but he wasn’t left with much choice really, if it wasn’t for the pandemic, remember he had already signed. One thing about this club and that is if they can sign the best possible, they will sign the best possible, and that’s a pretty neat thing to know.

Earnie

I have been trying to locate confirmation that the league in Norway is actually having a season. (same goes for Graz)
Did not succeeded in either of them?

Earnie

Not sure but I would say EIHL is of a better standard than the Norwegian League. That would not be the case with their neighbours in Sweden as we well know!

pjj365

Where did I say 15 imports? At what point in our history have we retained 15 imports? I'll wait....

But anyway, i'll make it clearer.... Nottingham have basically given their players 'letters of intent', so saying that ''yeah we might deem you good enough to sign when the time comes but we also might find something better in the mean time so we aren't going to offer you a firm contract''.

Whereas, the Devils.... ''If and when we get going, here's a definitive contract offer, we want you and you have a job''.

I know which scenario emits more professionalism, but you're a Panthers fan (although a lot of your posts on the Cage would suggest you actually aren't) so I understand you're going to have a bias just like I have.
Sorry but that's not the way the Black interview went. He stated players were signed but not announced so as not to block their chances in case anything more certain crops up. Then he said contracts are currently more like letters of intent.
And I am a Devils fan - I just listened to Black's words and the flow of the interview.
As to imports he said nothing about whether they were Brits or imports nor did he mention numbers

Rempel16

Sorry but that's not the way the Black interview went. He stated players were signed but not announced so as not to block their chances in case anything more certain crops up. Then he said contracts are currently more like letters of intent.
And I am a Devils fan - I just listened to Black's words and the flow of the interview.
As to imports he said nothing about whether they were Brits or imports nor did he mention numbers
Ok, then I take it back. Apologies.
My point about my opinion over professionalism still stands though.

was following the twitter questions with todd last night. what i found interesting is that their signed contracts do not officially start, until the season starts..

Mazzoak

Good luck to Joey in Norway, it’ll be a great experience, who knows if he’ll return.

He’s not only a professional sports player, he’s also a businessmen, as all sports people are, so there is a lot involved in the decision making.
Since contracts start when seasons start, it’s a bit naive to place gratification on the club, great sentiment, ultimately each player has to do what is best for themselves. If that means leaving a club, so be it, the club are powerless, contracts are easily negotiable. It’s in nobody’s interests to retain a player who doesn’t want to remain. Ultimately clubs have little power, the Devils stance makes for better PR compared to some other clubs.

Rhyan48

I am in dout he will return my self in all fairness , what a quality player he is ,I’m very suprised he has stayed in the EIHL as long as he has , contracts don’t tie you down look at Riley last year before joining us like people have already said money talks just like for the rest of us in our normal jobs , he was in a 3 year deal I think and still had two years left , it sucks lossing players but that’s hockey and any other sport for you , obviously this shite virus ain’t helping nothing , all the best to joey Hope to see him back in Cardiff but who knows !!

Wannabe2

Now I think Joey will Defo come back I really do, there were lots of reasons Joey stayed as long as he did, and non of them have changed except this pandemic. Joey before this virus was signed sealed and virtually delivered, he,was more than happy to be returning to his second home, think about it, this decision was basically forced on him, it wasn’t a case of oh well it’s been nice but time to move on. My opinion of Joey is that he is very loyal and expects loyalty back, if he gets it like he did here he was more than happy to stay, that’s why lots of our players stick around, they get very well looked after.Many players over the years have been courted by other clubs, but there’s a reason they stay, the City, the Fans, and the loyalty and security that’s shown to them by our very professional organisation. So is Capt Fantastic coming back, I would put money on it myself, a change of scenery for awhile is always pretty neat, but as all Taffies know YOU CAN TAKE THE MAN OUT OF WALES, BUT YOU CAN NEVER TAKE WALES OUT OF THE MAN, stay safe all, and look forward to seeing 88 tearing up the ice at a rink near you.

Last edited:

Rhyan48

Now I think Joey will Defo come back I really do, there were lots of reasons Joey stayed as long as he did, and non of them have changed except this pandemic. Joey before this virus was signed sealed and virtually delivered, he,was more than happy to be returning to his second home, think about it, this decision was basically forced on him, it wasn’t a case of oh well it’s been nice but time to move on. My opinion of Joey is that he is very loyal and expects loyalty back, if he gets it like he did here he was more than happy to stay, that’s why lots of our players stick around, they get very well looked after.Many players over the years have been courted by other clubs, but there’s a reason they stay, the City, the Fans, and the loyalty and security that’s shown to them by our very professional organisation. So is Capt Fantastic coming back, I would put money on it myself, a change of scenery for awhile is always pretty neat, but as all Taffies know YOU CAN TAKE THE MAN OUT OF WALES, BUT YOU CAN NEVER TAKE WALES OUT OF THE MAN, stay safe all, and look forward to seeing 88 tearing up the ice at a rink near you.

Rhyan48

no I am not saying he is not loyal and I know he loves Cardiff , I don’t for one minute think he would do the dirty or anything intentionally, and I can not blame him for doing what he has done he needs to make a living , I am not saying that I don’t think he will ever be back in a devils jersey as I think he will see out is career as a devil, the organisation we have is amazing and to do that to players is fantastic and like you said that’s why we have such a good core group and players want to come to Cardiff , just hope it doesn’t turn into a longer stay than it’s meant to be is what I meant by it all ,

As has been said many times by fans and more importantly by the owners, we’re a ‘bums on seats’ league, we need full capacity arenas/rinks for the business model to work.
That won’t happen until there’s a proven vaccine available and more to the point a vaccine that has been administered to the general population.
So whether Joey and others want to come back and play isn’t the question. Unfortunately, it’s more likely to be ‘can they come back and play’.

Good luck to Joey for the season, I spent a day there and was a lovely place.
I think the danger is not that he might like it too much there, but that he could have an outstanding season and a better paying league may look at what he’s done here, there and CHL and offer him a very good contact.